Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

won't boot but works with boot override

stonerockbato
Level 7
Have 2 HDD and 1 SSD
Installed OS 1st on ssd then the hdds
Have Windows 7 64 on them all (1st is primary, 2nd hd is just back up, 3rd is for testing purposes only but will be later removed and used as storage)
During OS install, disconnected each drive so they're all independent

Boot options are the following:
1 is dvd drive
2 is ssd
3 is hdd
4 is hdd
When using SSD as 2nd priority (name of ssd itself, no windows boot manager w/ name in bios), it boots no problem
When rearranging and selecting 2nd or 3rd hdd as 2nd boot option, it won't boot, just the blinking cursor
But when selecting boot override to that particular hdd, it works no problem
Have to select Windows Boot Manager (name of HDD)...
But boot override to the specific hdd w/o windows boot manager, it doesn't boot as well
If boot option 3 or 4 is disabled (boot 1 as dvd drive), get the following message instead:
reboot and select proper boot device error or insert boot media is selected boot device and press a key
But when using boot 1 as the 1st option to the hdd, then it works

So the only way to boot to the other 2 hdds is to select boot override, selecting windows boot manager with it
Or using boot number 1

Wonder if this is a bios issue, recently updated v to recent 1404, though didn't get to try w/ previous version if that worked w/o problems

SSD is samsung 830 512gb
2nd HDD is WD2TB Black
3rd HDD is WD3TB Green (gtp format complete with the 3tb)

Asus Extreme IV X79
corsair 1200w psu
i7 3820
h100 cooling
gskill 8gb 1600
evga gtx 560 ti
lg 12ls39 drive

Need some insights on this, thanks in advance
2 REPLIES 2

HiVizMan
Level 40
Easy and quickest way to do what you want (I have something similar) is to use the F8 option during the POST process and just pick which OS I want to use.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
Easy and quickest way to do what you want (I have something similar) is to use the F8 option during the POST process and just pick which OS I want to use.

That's a really no long term fix, i don't know the point of providing this solution even? I am having the same problem now, what's the epic point of spending $200 on a board which can't boot HDD normally!