cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NVIDIDA GTX 660m overclock core +135 limit

Liquidus
Level 8
So, I've noticed that the limit is set by the vbios. Can anyone change the vbios into a modified one and increase the limit?

I feel like I can push my GTX 660m's core to at least +300s, if not more.

I don't know why nvidia set such a limit, especially when the GT 650m can overclock just as much and is nearly identical in performance if not better as the GTX 660m.
7 REPLIES 7

UltimaRage
Level 9
That is interesting to know.

I know there are utilities that can allow you to flash vbios, but someone would have specifically had to have written a fix for the 660m.

It is interesting that 100+ doesn't change thermals at all, for core and memory.
G75VW-BBK5
i7
8 GB
660m

Yes the thermals on my G55 is fantastic, with +135OC (+300 Mem) I barely push past 75 celsius when playing Skyrim. Love it.

I'd like to see what the 660M is capable of though, and it's a shame the vBios is stopping us from OCing further,

However! I just stumbled upon this:
http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/1847-nvidia-kepler-vbios-mods-overclocking...

It's just troubling me that he hasn't gotten any replies aside from a "thanks".
Have anyone tried this, or a similar VBIOS flash?
Proud owner of the ASUS G55wv
Former proud owner of the ASUS G1Sn.

Liquidus
Level 8
Well, he did post that just yesterday, and I tried commenting on it, but my comment has to be approved by an admin first since I'm newly registered. Do you think a DELL vbios would work on ours?

That's exactly why I haven't tried it out yet.
For example is the VBIOS configured for Optimus on Dell and as such will mess with our hardware? I don't know these things, so it'd be awesome if someone who did would chime in...

Liquidus
Level 8
Can someone give them a dumped vbios from our G55s? I don't know how to do it..

GPU-Z tells me "BIOS reading isn't supported on this device", I'm going to try nvflash and see if that'll work.

E: nvflash says a driver error occurs, and I have a feeling it's because I've updated to stock Nvidia 304.79 drivers.
I don't know if I can be bothered rolling back to the ASUS ones just for this..

Anyway doing what he wants you to is very easy:
Downlaod this:
http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2154/TechPowerUp_GPU-Z_v0.6.3_w_ASUS_ROG_Skin.html

Launch it, and when it asks whether to just launch once or install, pick the one you want

Once in the program, next to the "BIOS Version" box, there's a small icon, click it and select save to file.

Voila

Edit 2: I attached a screenshot of my GPU-Z, see if that's worth anything to him.