cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't enter sleep mode/bios resetting

catharsis
Level 7
I just got my 990fx crosshair board and I did the most recent bios flash. I'm not sure if this is the reason for the issue or not as I did not play with the computer until I flashed the bios. Every time I enter sleep mode. My computer will not fully wake up. The fans all cut on as well do the lights in the case, but the keyboard and monitor are unresponsive.

Also to make matters worse, every time this happens I have to restart the computer. Upon restart all my bios settings have returned to default.
12 REPLIES 12

bikeman
Level 7
You can reference this page:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2541014

I appreicate your quick posting, but this did not help my issue. I already had this hotfix installed. Also the computer doesn't force restart when in sleep mode. I just have no signal through my monitor and my keyboard caplock/numpad/etc lights don't light up. So while it seems to be coming out of the sleep state. The monitor and keyboard are unresponsive. But also this doesn't explain why when I restart the computer, my bios resets.

HiVizMan
Level 40
The part this is of interest to me is "my bios resets"

Could you expand that bit. what do you mean by that and how do you know that is happening?

Sorry if it is obvious to you but I am trying without success to see the relationship between waking from sleep and any BIOS adjustments. 🙂
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
The part this is of interest to me is "my bios resets"

Could you expand that bit. what do you mean by that and how do you know that is happening?

Sorry if it is obvious to you but I am trying without success to see the relationship between waking from sleep and any BIOS adjustments. 🙂

To be honest, very very strange things are happening to me since I got this motherboard. The only hardware changes I have made are new motherboard, video card, and cpu. Previously I had an asrock board, 2500k cpu, and dual 6950s. Now I have the asus crosshair, fx8120, and a single 7970. I'm posting this in case anyone wants to know.

Ok so heres the deal. If I put my computer into sleep mode. It will not fully wake up. The fans in the case seem to cut on, the optical light on my mouse powers on, but the keyboard and monitor are unresponsive. What I've been doing to get out of this frozen state is either hitting the power button on the front of my case, or the reset button.

Now here is the interesting bit, when I do this. All my previous bios settings that should be permanently saved are reset to thedefault settings. Why or how I do not understand.

Also another interesting things to note. Last night I simply shut down my computer to avoid this problem I was having. When I woke in the morning and press the power button on the front panel, I received the same exactly problem as I do when I put the computer in sleep state. I had to reset the computer again and then all my bios settings were again restored to default.

Also I then had a windows error stating I was missing my lan drivers and I couldn't connect to the internet. Previously I never had this issue since I installed the LAN drivers that came with the ASUS CD and I was able to connect to the internet just fine. Idecided to attempt to reinstall the drivers and inserted the asus CD into my computer, and for some reason the LAN drivers option was completely missing. Only after restarting my computer did the LAN drivers mysteriously begin to work again, and oddly enough they again reappeared on my ASUS cd drivers list.

As to how do I know my bios settings are being reset to default. Well I disable all the CPU fan speed options because it always throws a warning code that there is a cpu fan error because I am not using the CPU fan power slot on the motherboard but instead an alternative way to power the cpu fan. Also I disable the esata scan that occurs before the bios screen flash to increase my boot time. So both these settings keep resetting back to default when I put my computer into sleep and restart it.

Also just a quick note, this is not my first time building a computer and I have NEVER had such a strange series of issues.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Wonder if you are hitting the Clear CMOS button in stead of the reset. Are you using the reset from the case header?

What I strongly suggest is that you repeat your BIOS flash via the EZFlash2 tool in BIOS and that should at least clear what seems to be a corrupted bios.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

I'm restarting the computer from my cases front panel button

HiVizMan
Level 40
Thanks for he feedback. I am going to focus on the BIOS resetting thing for now.

Could you test the following for me please.

In your BIOS F5 to reset to defaults and press enter.

Change your SATA mode if you need to.

Now change one thing in BIOS, so let us increase your ram to one notch higher than the default.

F10 to save and enter to reboot to OS.

Do the whole sleep thing and see how it goes. If your system fails and after a reset your ram has been reset to defaults please let me know.

Very interesting stuff. Once I upclocked my ram the computer goes into and awakes from sleep mode no problem. I will now attempt to restart and see if it clears bios.

update: it seems this has cleared up all my issues. Thank you so much for your help.

So it appears my sleep mode problems have returned. However now I'm half certain of what the issue is. I oc'd my CPU and since then it won't wake from sleep mode again.

Is there a setting in bios I overlooked to stop this when overclocking? Or is this a lack of voltage to the CPU? other than this issue the OC is stable from what I can tell. ran prime for 12hours no errors.