cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB 3 Problems

Darkpsycho
Level 7
So I've been having usb 3 problems lately with my WD Passport SE drive. USB 2 drives work fine, plug in and its recognized, however, whenever I plug in my USB 3 hdd it doesn't recognize in windows but it does start up. For it to recognize I have to plug in my usb 2 flash to get it going which isn't a big deal but I shouldn't have to do that. And on top of that, when it does connect to the USB 3 hdd, it's not stable and disconnects randomly inthe middle of things which has now resulted in the formatting of my whole hdd making me lose a lot of videos and isos -__-

Anyone know whats wrong and how to fix it?
57 REPLIES 57

Here4Help
Level 7
I have been trying to solve this problem for sometime as well with no luck. This problem seems to only happen when I plug my 1TB WD Passport on the left USB 3.0 ports. However, I have tried plugging my WD to my friend's notebooks (Asus G75) and the same problem is present. All three notebooks faced the same issue ( multiple attempts to get windows to recongize it, even if it does, it asks you to format it). When it eventually works, it disconnects randomly. This happened on all three notebooks. It may actually be a problem with the WD passport drive, that's what've concluded.

I am not sure which model you have, but the problem is very similar. And yes, 2.0 flash drives work fine with all ports with no problem.

Darkpsycho
Level 7
I haven't tried the right usb ports but I don't see why they would be any different. They should be working fine I don't understand why this happens in the first place

Darkpsycho wrote:
I haven't tried the right usb ports but I don't see why they would be any different. They should be working fine I don't understand why this happens in the first place

I know what you mean, they're all the same. It's hard to figure out what the problem is. It's impossible for all three notebooks to have defective 3.0 ports (in my case). Try your right ports and see the results.

Here4Help wrote:
I know what you mean, they're all the same. It's hard to figure out what the problem is. It's impossible for all three notebooks to have defective 3.0 ports (in my case). Try your right ports and see the results.

Same Result, in fact in the midst of transferring files i touched the usb connection and it disconnected immediately then reconnected but i still had to restart the file transfer.

I'll try uninstalling the usb 3 driver right after this is done

Darkpsycho wrote:
Same Result, in fact in the midst of transferring files i touched the usb connection and it disconnected immediately then reconnected but i still had to restart the file transfer.

I'll try uninstalling the usb 3 driver right after this is done

The latest driver I downloaded is Version 1.0.5.235, which seems to somewhat fix the problem.
The one on the Asus site is version 1.0.3.214.

Bug fixes inVersion 1.0.5.235:
“Format disk” window might pop up after a USB3.0 device is
plugged in into the USB3.0 port >> Resolved in Release Rev: 1.0.5.235 (PVHF5)

USB3.0 Thumb drive might failed to enumerate after the device is

USB Modem failed to enumerate after the device is plugged in
into the USB3.0 port >> Resolved in Release Rev: 1.0.5.235 (PVHF5)

Here4Help wrote:
Bug fixes inVersion 1.0.5.235:
“Format disk” window might pop up after a USB3.0 device is

USB3.0 Thumb drive might failed to enumerate after the device is

USB Modem failed to enumerate after the device is plugged in
into the USB3.0 port >> Resolved in Release Rev: 1.0.5.235 (PVHF5)

I'm only able to find 1.04 where did you d/l 1.05?

Darkpsycho wrote:
I'm only able to find 1.04 where did you d/l 1.05?

Is this the driver you have currently installed in V 1.04? >> Intel® USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver..

Here4Help wrote:
Is this the driver you have currently installed in V 1.04? >> Intel® USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver..

I just installed 1.0.5 but it doesn't really fix it. Plugged in the hdd and didn't read until i plugged in my usb 2 flash drive. And no i do not have another usb 3 device.