cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus G74sx WONT CHARGE BATTERY

mrkarazy
Level 7
This is a problem im having with my Asus G74s. When I have my battery plugged into my laptop, this is what happens. I shipped out for a new battery but i guess the problem is with the computer itself 😞 but hey now I have two batteries 😄

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBbqu4esNjQ&feature=youtu.be
5 REPLIES 5

dstrakele
Level 14
How long have you owned your laptop and how long have you experienced this problem?

One possibility is you have a polarity problem in your power adapter as discussed by @breker in http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?16470-quot-Touchy-quot-Power-Cable-in-my-G-53S&p=112124&vie.... He mentions this can cause heat to build up in the power adapter plug area, where it joins to your laptop. Is this happening on your system?

Can you test with a different power adapter?

Does your battery fit snugly in its bay or can you wiggle it? A poor connection here could also cause your issue. Does your battery get hot when you attempt to charge it?
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Boosted_R
Level 8
whats the voltage coming out of the adapter ?.....just measured mine and I'm getting a consistent 19.32V....... If it constant its your laptop, if it fluctuates its the adapter most likely...
GL702VSK / GTX 1070 / M.2 960 EVO

HTPC MINI-ITX / FRACTAL CORE 500 / GIGABYTE GA-AB350N / GTX 1050 Ti Windforce OC 4G / RYZEN 5 1600 3.9GHz / M.2 960 EVO / G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 3200MHz
OLD
ASUS G74SX-XC1 / INTEL 7260 AC / Samsung 850 PRO / TUNIQ TX-4 / BIOS 203 / 335.23

I also should've mentioned that i had my power adapter replaced because it wasn't pumping out enough power. I had to get a replacement sent from Asus. and I have no way of measuring it.

dstrakele
Level 14
It sounds like you may want to enlist the aid of your friendly local computer repair shop person to help you troubleshoot the issue. They'll have all the necessary testing equipment.

Otherwise just RMA it to ASUS...
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

cl-scott
Level 12
Since you have replaced both the battery and adapter, and still have the same problem, it does tend to point the finger rather squarely at the charging circuit, and should be a valid RMA issue barring things like drop or liquid damage. If you are in the US or Canada, and would like to set up an RMA, you can call 1-888-678-3688 to get started. Then if you have any difficulties with the process, feel free to PM or email me, and I will see what I can do to get it sorted for you.