cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus 5 Gene + Intel I350-T4 does not boot

RageX
Level 7
Hi Guys,

I have a new Maximus V Gene motherboard with 16GB RAM and a Sandybridge Xeon, it goes great. However, I needed more ethernet ports as I use this system with Linux for network simulation and purchased a Intel I350-T4 NIC. Upon installing this in any of the PCIe (tried x4 first, then top x16, then middle x8) slots, the machine will not boot. The Q-CODE display code 55, and I get no display.

The Intel I350-T4 is a PCIe 2.0 x4 card.

Does anyone have any idea why this might not be working, and is there any possible way to get this up and running ?
17 REPLIES 17

HiVizMan
Level 40
Try taking some of your ram out of your system. Leave just two sticks of ram in the two slots furtherest from the CPU and post. Let me know how it goes.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

I tried removing the 2x 4GB sticks of ram from the slots closest to the CPU. This makes no difference. The Q-Code is still 55.

Is this something I need to raise directly with Asus support ? This is a very common NIC, it should be supported. I also tried on a Maximus IV Gene-Z and get the same result.

HiVizMan
Level 40
The error has nothing to do with your NIC based on duplication of that error, if your system works without the NIC please let me know.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Hi HiVizMan,

Yes the system works perfectly without the I350-T4 NIC installed.

It is a pretty basic system.

Asus Maximus V Gene motherboard
Intel Sandybrudge Xeon
4x 4GB DIMM Kingston RAM
LSI2008 SAS controller in middle PCI-e slot

I have tried removing the two inner DIMM's, removing the LSI controller, and putting the NIC in all 3 of the PCI-e slots. None of which have worked.

HiVizMan
Level 40
That is so weird.

Ok I have passed this problem on to the BIOS guys. What I need to find out is which VGA are you using?

Thanks HiVizMan

I am using the VGA integrated in to the Xeon processor E3-1245

I tried the NIC on both Maximus IV Gene-Z and Maximus V Gene, both without success.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Hmm - the NIC works on the IV Gene I am sure.

Can you verify that the NIC is still working in that case. Like in the last two days.

HiVIzMan, yes I can confirm in both the IV Gene-Z and V Gene that the Intel I350-T4 does not work, in the last two days.

The card I have is this one:

Official Intel info is at http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/network-adapters/gigabit-network-adapters/ethernet-server-ada...

HiVizMan
Level 40
Sorry dude my bad, what I am asking is how do you know the NIC card is actually working. I am asking if you could test it in some other system just to confirm it is still functional.

Sorry for the confusion.