cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow G73 jw

R4nd0mh3r0
Level 8
So my Asus G73jw is lagging badly in games, videos, even music (played in vlc). With lag i mean fps drops and general slowness. This problem has troubled me about half a year now, and i am guite desperate, please help me 😕

Some tests i have done:
GPU temp with furmark running: 81C
CPU temp with prime95 running: about 70C
3dmark06 graphics test: about 60 fps
3dmark06 cpu test: about 3 fps :mad:

Things i have tried already:
-High performance settings in control panel
-Updated drivers for gpu, lan, wlan, sound, chipset
-Formatted disk and reinstall win7 64bit
-Disk optimization and full defrag
-Throttlestop
-Disabled core parking
-Cleaned dust from inside the laptop

So none of these possible solutions didn't work, so dont suggest them. Ask me for more details if you need..
18 REPLIES 18

unclewebb
Level 10
Can you post a screen shot of ThrottleStop so I can see how you have it setup.

The 3DMark06 CPU Test is testing the CPU. Extremely low FPS in that test is normal.

When gaming, run ThrottleStop and check off the Log File option and turn on GPU monitoring in the Options window. When finished gaming, exit the game and then exit ThrottleStop. Go into the ThrottleStop folder and copy and paste the log file data you just created to www.pastebin.com and then post a link here.

Laptop throttling is a common problem. You need to get some data on what the problem is. Simply running ThrottleStop is not going to fix anything if you don't understand what the problem is or how to adjust ThrottleStop to manage the problem.

dstrakele
Level 14
When I see someone complaining about lag, I think DPC Latency. What does DPC Latency Checker show you?
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

http://pastebin.com/14hRGysm

Latency checker says "some device drivers behave bad and can cause drop-outs..." Max. latency was 5800µs
Edit: I had wrong audio driver.. Updated it, and now latency is always below 1000µs

My game is still freezing every 10 seconds...

unclewebb
Level 10
How did you overclock the base clock speed up to 142 MHz? If you did this using software from within Windows then you need to read about the problems that this can cause.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/gaming-software-graphics-cards/569893-must-read-setfsb-o-c-game-prob...

The log file did not show any throttling but most Asus owners with issues are clearing the BD PROCHOT box in ThrottleStop.

dstrakele
Level 14
The correct audio driver should probably help with your reported music playback lag anyway...

What Antivirus, AntiMalware, Firewall, Remote Access, or Disk Management software have you installed to your G73JW? These types of programs have drivers that may conflict with other programs, slowing your system.

Seagate Momentus XT HDD's have a firmware issue that results in brief freeze intervals during games. Y'got one in your laptop?

unclewebb
Level 10
What does the Task Manager and ThrottleStop show when your CPU is idle at the desktop? Are there any suspicious apps running on your computer sucking up CPU cycles?

I dont know how the base clock is 140mhz, maybe some asus software has overclocked it.. But i fixed it, and now wintimertester shows QPC / GTC ratio 1.0000

I have latest Avast antivirus and Malwarebytes anti-malware, i havent installed any Firewall or Remote access software. Intel disk management software used 20% of processor, but i think i fixed it, still freezing in game.

I have installed latest momentus xt firmware update.

Task manager and Throttlestop shows 1-10% processor usage when idling.

R4nd0mh3r0 wrote:
Intel disk management software used 20% of processor, but i think i fixed it, still freezing in game.

You may wish to consider uninstalling the Intel software and REBOOTING, for troubleshooting purposes.

unclewebb
Level 10
Based on your testing, it is possible that your hard drive is failing. Try running HD Tune.

http://www.hdtune.com/

It lets you benchmark your hard drive as well as see the Health status of it.