cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage IV Extreme only showing 24GB and Debug code 67

l3p-NL
Level 9
Hi there!

Normally you don't see me often with problems on a forum, however this time I'm not able to find a solution 🙂
Maybe you guys can help me out.
There are more threads about this however it seems I got 2 problems maybe connected to each other.

Hardware used: (For a project that will be posted on the ROG forums soon .... hopefully 🙂 )

Asus Rampage IV Extreme
2 x Corsair Dominator® GT — 1.5V 16GB Quad Channel DDR3 Memory Kit (CMT16GX3M4X2133C9)
Intel i7 3960x

This weekend I wanted to test the hardware.
From the start it only showed 24GB, however he bios did see the 8 sticks.
Thought it was a problem to take care of later. Also since I was still running on bios 0405.

After switching all the 8 strips of memory I found out it isn't a particular memory strip thats faulty it are the slots B1 and B2 giving problems.

When I try to run on 1333 or lower the system will hang on debug code 67 - 9 out of 10 times
Anything higher then that will boot however won´t show the memory in slots B1 and B2. So my max mem is 24GB, even runs at 2133Mhz.

When I only add 2 x 4 GB to slots B1 and B2 the pc hangs on debug code 66

When I use all 4 red banks, should be 16GB, it only shows 12GB. (The missing B2)

So started looking around for a solution.
Been reading through these 2 also:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?8905-Rampage-IV-Extreme-shows-24gb-at-1600-mhz-but-32gb-at-...
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?10145-Rampage-IV-Extreme-Debug-Codes-67-when-update-bios-11...

Things I tried till now:

- Updating the bios to 1404 didn´t help.
- XMP profile didn't help.
- Manually entering the ram speed didn't change anything until going below 1600, gave me error code 67
- Raising dram voltage up to 1.63V didn't help.
- Setting Rampage mode to '1' didn't help
- Reseated the sticks like 50 times, didn't help.
- Setting VCCSA at 1.15v and VTT a 1.15v didn't help. (It was actually lower then it was running on?)
- "Tight PSC profile" didn't help.
- Tried every thing with the 'Slow mode' and the 'LN2' jumper.
- On the pictures the 4 pin isn't connected but it was with all the above.

Here some pics:

http://www.l3p.nl/files/Hardware/rexiv/P1120509.JPG
http://www.l3p.nl/files/Hardware/rexiv/P1120510.JPG
http://www.l3p.nl/files/Hardware/rexiv/P1120511.JPG
http://www.l3p.nl/files/Hardware/rexiv/P1120512.JPG

I hope you guys can help me out here, only got a few weeks left before I gotta start my next build 🙂

Thanks already a lot!
38 REPLIES 38

HiVizMan
Level 40
Reseat your CPU my friend.

I am sure that when you tightened the water block there might have been a little uneven pressure. Try it and make sure you only tighten little bit on each corner at a time before moving to the alternating end and repeating at least three or four circuits to ensure a even pressure once you finish.

And yeah I know you have a water cooled system. But it can't be helped.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

l3p-NL
Level 9
I did tighten the block crossways in like 4 steps as I always do.
Will try it next thing tomorrow as it's a very easy step to do.
Thanks man!

Anything more I could try for the next round? 🙂

HiVizMan
Level 40
Just make sure you completely remove the CPU my friend. Inspect the pads on the bottom of the CPU and you will see tiny little indentations where the pins of the socket make contact. They should be right smack in the middle if your mount was spot on. If some are slid over to the side or even not making any indentations then there you have your cause.

Lets see how that goes before we go look else where yeah.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

l3p-NL
Level 9
Ok remounted the cpu and block twice.
The cpu 'dots' and socket look completely fine.
Exactly the same problem.

Don't know if it's wise, but I'm installing windows now with the two 'problem' slots empty to see the stability.

Any other idea's?

HiVizMan
Level 40
Last thing I would do is run memtest86+

First run all your sticks one at a time just to confirm they are all good. Then one slot at a time with a working stick. That way you can take the motherboard away as a cause.

Let me know how it goes please.

Zka17
Level 16
Did I understood correctly that you're running two 16GB memory kits? If so, have you tried to use only one kit - in the red (A1, B1, C1, D1) slots? I mean, the A1 is the far most left side and C1 far most right side...

HiVizMan wrote:
Last thing I would do is run memtest86+

First run all your sticks one at a time just to confirm they are all good. Then one slot at a time with a working stick. That way you can take the motherboard away as a cause.

Let me know how it goes please.

Will do! Thanks!
Didn't have to use this program for years, does it still take so long? 🙂
That's 12 runs if I'm not mistaking.

Zka17 wrote:
Did I understood correctly that you're running two 16GB memory kits? If so, have you tried to use only one kit - in the red (A1, B1, C1, D1) slots? I mean, the A1 is the far most left side and C1 far most right side...

Yes, 2 x 16GB kits.
I did try one kit in the red slots, after that in the black slots. After that tried the other kit in the red and the black slots.
All 4 setups give me 12Gb of RAM.
Thats because B1 and B2 are giving the troubles

8_Pack
Level 12
It may be possible the two 16gb kits have slightly different carecteristics. You could try sorting them into there respective kits via serial number and then just using 1 kit as in 16gb and enabing xmp on that. See if bios and CPU-Z from in windows see's the memory in the slots then.

Do all the voltages manually so 1.65v DRAM, VTT 1.15, VCCSA 1.15 also set 20uf Clock gen filter and Mode 1 tweak.

8 Pack wrote:
It may be possible the two 16gb kits have slightly different carecteristics. You could try sorting them into there respective kits via serial number and then just using 1 kit as in 16gb and enabing xmp on that. See if bios and CPU-Z from in windows see's the memory in the slots then.

Do all the voltages manually so 1.65v DRAM, VTT 1.15, VCCSA 1.15 also set 20uf Clock gen filter and Mode 1 tweak.

Will also try this tomorrow.
Thanks!
Up to the next run 🙂

Booting into bios at 5Ghz with 24Gb 2133Mhz wasn't a problem at all. (Doesn't say much, but still)
Also just installed windows7 without a problem.