cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Throttling of games when not charging?

Retired
Not applicable
So, my Asus G75VW-NS71(Cheapest Newegg version), throttles my games when i'm not charging. I have no idea why or what to do about it.
For example: I'll be playing Skyrim and everything will be running smooth but after a little bit (~30 seconds) the game will lag considerably, then speed back up when on battery only. When plugged in the game runs smooth and won't lag a bit. I've tried toning the graphics down when on battery but that has no effect either. I always run my G75 in High Performance mode and i've tweaked it to the processor state is never below 70%. I have no idea how to fix this intermittent lagging. Any help would be appreciated.

-JealousEllis
3 REPLIES 3

Cecil_2099
Level 11
All G75s experience this issue. Unfortunately there is no fix other than playing while plugged in and not on battery.
G75VW-BBK5 (Stock configuration with added Crucial M4 256GB SATA SSD as OS boot drive)

Need to know how to restore your G75 to it's factory-like condition? Go to my step-by-step guide:
Step-by-Step: Using ASUS Recovery DVDs to Restore G75

Want to download the latest drivers and utilities for your G75/G55? Go to this thread:
Downloading New Drivers/Utilities for G75/G55

I have the same problem, I guess it must for the demand in hardware that has the equipment to play the latest games that need should always be connected to AC power, I think it is a menor problem, I have a g75VW DS3 and also presents problems of lag, not worry about it I think, Greetings!

colpolite
Level 9
It's not a minor problem. It is what it is. The laptop needs power for the cpu/gpu to run at full performance especially when running demanding games and the battery can't provide that power so it throttles down for protection.

You have to be plugged in anyway if you want to play properly especialy a demandin game and even if they designed it to be played on battery, the battery already only last 2-2.5h when web browsing so imagine if you play a game, it probably will last 30 min.