cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steam games keep crashing

FreeRangers
Level 7
I have an Asus G75V laptop (16 GB RAM, Intel i7 processor, Nvidia Gforce 670M graphics card, Windows 7 ultimate) and everytime I play a steam game my computer freezes. I can't press ctrl+alt+delete, I can't move the mouse, the only thing I can do is a hard reboot of my computer. It doesn't matter what steam game I am playing. Today I was playing Civilization V and in 30 minutes the game froze my computer 4 times. The other day I tried to play Magicka and my computer froze several times over the course of 4 hours. I only have this problem with steam, my computer can be on all day when I am not in steam and it runs fine. I played Diablo 3 for hours at a time and my computer was fine. My C drive is a 250 ssd drive and my E drive is a 750 GB sata hdd, I only have the Windows OS installed on the C drive everything else (including steam) is installed on the E drive (could this be the problem?)

I checked the event viewer and there are only 2 entries around the time the system freezes, but they are after I have to reboot:

The first one:
Event ID 41
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

The second one:
Event ID 6008
The previous system shutdown at 9:43:36 PM on ‎7/‎19/‎2012 was unexpected.

I looked on Nvidia's website for an update to my video driver, but they didn't have any drivers for the 670M.

Any Ideas? Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5

Granger
Level 10
I don't know what is causing the problem, but from having a similer setup as you (OS on SSD and Steam games on a secondary HD) that isn't the problem, unless of course there is a problem with your 750 SATA.

I don't think that the hard drive is the problem, because all of my other programs are stored on there (like Diablo 3, office, etc...) and I haven't had any problems with them, like I said I could play Diablo for hours on end and not have problems.

Is your steam client on the secondary HDD or just the games? Mine is set up so that the client and the games are on the secondary hdd.

xeromist
I would make a copy of your steam apps folder and uninstall it,reinstall it. There may be something funky with the client itself since it still runs in the background when games are running.

Oh, does it matter whether a game is running? Like if you just launch the Steam client and chat with friends or browse the store will it crash?
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Most time's it's when I try to play a game, but it has (once or twice) froze while I was browsing the store, or downloading a game.

Homiestar
Level 8
Yea what xeromist said, its probably a problem with the client folder you have, Im running my OS on a SSD and steam on HDD, and its working fine, just uninstall and reinstall steam after making a copy of the folders. If i were you though, i would go ahead and do a fresh install of everything, you never know if the client could have gunked up the game files too.

Good luck man, hope it all works out!
Case - Cooler Master Storm Enforcer
Motherboard - Crosshair V Formula
CPU - FX-8150 3.6GHz ( OC'd to 5.4)
CPU Cooler - Corsair H70 (2 gentle typhoon fans)
GPU - ASUS Radeon 6850 HD 1GB
RAM - G.Skill Ripjaw X series (2x4gb) 1600 (OC'd to 1725)
PSU - Seasonic 860w platinum
HDD - Seagate Barracuda 500gb
SSD - Corsair Force Series GT 120 GB
OS - Win. 8 Pro 64 bit