cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Guide to the ThunderFX

X-ROG
Level 15
Like last year’s ThunderBolt audio/LAN combo card, the 2012 ThunderFX is an exclusive addition to a Formula motherboard – this time the Maximus V Formula.

The ThunderFX is an external sound device that is designed to provide cleaner audio and can amp headphones up to 300Ohm. It can be plugged into PCs or notebooks via USB, or, consoles such as the PS3 or Xbox 360 with RCA inputs. This means that instead of being forced to use the standard console headset, you can use your favorite headset – with amp’d audio – instead. Akin to other ROG features such as ROG Connect or ProbeIt, the idea is to have all this hardware external to the PC, specifically for people who want to have immediate hands-on control (in this case, volume tweaking) without having to quit and play with software settings.

Keeping the audio processing hardware outside the case means it also suffers less potential EMI and gives more space, which equates to better SNR and more hardware in design, such as the inclusion of relays to de-pop the audio.

For PCs exclusively there’s environmental noise cancellation (ENC) that we further explain below, and also audio profiles that provide extra tweaks to certain game types, so you can better hear gunshots or footsteps, for example.

ThunderFX Overview
Firstly, let’s run-down the features:

• PC, PS3, Xbox 360 selection
  • Master Volume
  • LED selection confirmation
  • 3.5mm headphones
  • 3.5mm microphone
  • 2.5mm Xbox 360 voice input
  • External microphone and ENC activated LED
  • RCA audio input jacks
  • USB 2 port

Using with a PC
Simply plug in the provided USB cable into the ThunderFX and a PC or notebook. Ideally via the rear ports as there is sometimes voltage drop to the front I/O ports on a PC case.

Next plug in your headset to the front ports and install the software. This will install the drivers and ThunderFX software. The software provides the additional functions such as ENC, Xear 3D and smart volume normalizer (buttons in the top right-hand corner). Exiting the software will shut down these features, but the ThunderFX will continue to work as a normal audio device.

Clicking the status panel switch unlocks another function of the ThunderFX: audio profiles. The FPS, racing and RTS profiles have been pre-tweaked by ROG audio engineers to enhance specific elements typical to these games, while the Hi-Fi profile focuses on music.

To tweak the audio settings, this requires a trip to the Windows sound control. Right click on the sound icon in your taskbar, select playback devices and then select ThunderFX. From here the sample rate and amplifier can be tweaked. If you prefer manipulating the effects from here it’s also possible as well and the custom profile (shown above) will be ticked to show this.

26 REPLIES 26

X-ROG
Level 15
What is ENC (Environmental Noise Cancellation) and how does it work?
ENC is the process of comparing the ambient ‘environmental’ noise around you – keyboards, fans, background chatter etc – to that received via the intended source. In this case, it compares the microphone on your headset that records your voice plus ambiance, to another placed within the ThunderFX itself that records just the environmental noise. The ThunderFX then compares the two recorded samples and then subtracts what matches in real-time, leaving only your voice transmitted. ThunderFX is therefore designed for team players at LAN events or just simply if you play online in a noisier place (maybe in a large room that echoes?). Simply plug in your headset and click the ENC button in the ThunderFX software.

Using with an Xbox 360

Bundled in the box is an Xbox 360 adapter, while PS3s already come with RCA cables to plug straight in.This sends the audio to the ThunderFX, which you then plug your favorite, premium headphones into, rather than the very average standard console fair. Remember the USB cable also needs to be plugged into a spare console port to provide power.

While software functions such as ENC and audio profiles are missing (it’s impossible to install this software into a console), you still get with a pair of amped headphones and crisper audio thanks to the hardware inside. Below shows it plugged into an Xbox 360.

PlaneName
Level 10
Great info about the ThunderFX!
Case: Antec 300 Mini Tower Motherboard: GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 (rev1.3) CPU: i5 2500k @ 4.5ghz Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO GPU: GIGABYTE GTX 560ti (950mhz) RAM: G.Skill 8 GB DDR3 @ 1600mhz PSU: Corsair CX 750 Driver: 320.00
Been building PC's for 8 Years! 😉

I have been having some issues with this for the past few days i cant seem to get my microphone working using the front jack input on the thunderFX unit.

Have tried testing on steam and ventrilo.

I am using the Sennheiser PC 360 Headset

Headphones sound works 100% its just the microphone issue via the headset?

The only way i can get both working is if i remove the thunderFX unit and use the inputs on the back of the motherboard.

I have also noticed that once i remove the Sennheiser mic jack from the thunderFX unit i can hear myself via the external mic on the actual unit and this is the only way i can get friends to hear me... once i plug in the mic jack, all microphones stop working and i can only hear sound via the headphones no mic's are working.

Cannot for the life of me get the headset microphone working via the thunderFX.

strat wrote:
I have been having some issues with this for the past few days i cant seem to get my microphone working using the front jack input on the thunderFX unit.

The only way i can get both working is if i remove the thunderFX unit and use the inputs on the back of the motherboard.

I have also noticed that once i remove the Sennheiser mic jack from the thunderFX unit i can hear myself via the external mic on the actual unit and this is the only way i can get friends to hear me... once i plug in the mic jack, all microphones stop working and i can only hear sound via the headphones no mic's are working.

happens to me as well, the microphone does not work and I have the same headphones.
I've also read that other people feel the same, the microphone does not work in thunderfx.

Any solution, though?

So its not just me thinking im going crazy?

I never got this to work but starting to like the mic feature on the thunderfx unit.

Any fix for this though?

As i would like to use the mic on the headset sometimes rather than the thunderfx unit.

strat wrote:
So its not just me thinking im going crazy?

I never got this to work but starting to like the mic feature on the thunderfx unit.

Any fix for this though?

As i would like to use the mic on the headset sometimes rather than the thunderfx unit.

more people with the same problem in this post
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?20395-ThunderFX-mic-volume-really-low&p=159679&posted=1#pos...

Asus did anyone say anything?
Do I have to RMA process?
We have sold a device that does not work and give us a solution.
I do not think anything serious.

strat wrote:

I'm having exactly the same problems with my Sennheaiser pc 360 G4me headset to.
No word from Asus ?

ich finde keine Windows 8 Treiber 😞
Asus MVF/T : i7 3770k @ 4.6 GHz : Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD16GX3M4A2400C9 1x Asus GTX680-DC2T-2GD5I : 2xSamsung 840 (250GB) RAID0 : 4x3TB Seagate Barracuda : Corsair H100 : AirFlow Pro™ Dynamic Temperature and Activity Display : alphaLCD 240X128 : Corsair 600T Mid-Tower Case