cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3930K C2 Degradation

Dartmaul
Level 12
Hello everybody.

I've decided to start this thread not how many for discussion but how many informing X79 newbie users.
Since 3930k is the most common chip in LGA2011 line and C2 is current stepping a hope this thread can safe some chips from degradation.

Why I decided to start this thread here:

1st of all, I have RIVE motherboard and have already damaged two 3930k CPUs on it. I have nobody to blame but myself, and I want to share my unlucky experience that nobody will repeat my fault.

2nd, one of the reasons I've done such a mistake was an OC guide that is posted right here, sticked on the top of "Rampage Series Motherboards"

Raja@ASUS wrote:
VTT over-volting helps with DRAM and BCLK Overclocking. Secondary VTT does not. However, try to maintain at most a 300mv delta between both voltages for stability. 1.40v is fine on these CPUs. 1.35v is sufficient most of the time.

3th, in some cases, on RIVE motherboard, while left on auto, VTT and VCCSA voltages may rise very high, that also can cause CPU degradation. Also color indication turns red only on 1.4v+ values, but in fact dangerous overvoltage begins much earlier.

If you have 3930K C2 CPU, NEWER SET VTT AND VCCSA VOLTAGES ABOVE 1.2V BECAUSE IT MAY(WILL) CAUSE CPU CORE DEGRADATION VERY FAST (FEW DAYS OR MAYBE FEW HOURS OR EVEN INSTANTLY!!!) (expect you use extreme (subzero) cooling)
Newer left these settings on "Auto" while overclocking, RIVE mb will rise VTT up to 1.35v!
Both VTT and VCCSA can be set to 1.1v (or lower) for most 24/7 OC. Use these settings as startup and rise it ONLY if necessary.

I also want to ask experienced members to post some approval/fix to this thread.
Thank you very mush and sorry for caps.
187 REPLIES 187

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Cool post. First hand experience is always good to hear. I would say you are correct! if you are OCing you should take absolute control of your voltages.

The level of VTT and VCCSA that causes degradation I am not willing to test! I just know that I was a bit uncomfortable setting 1.25and regard that as an absolute maximum personally (and dropped it well below that through testing). It is an oft quoted voltage and a good starting point trouble shooting . The 1.4 is Intels own max rating.

The 1.1V level is what you should be aiming for if possible and lower if you can.

You do have to be aware if you are overclocking that you are now in the wild west....sometimes you get to be Clint Eastwood sometimes you get to be his dog! http://www.google.es/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=josie%20wales%20spits%20on%20dog&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CFQQtwIw...

Retired
Not applicable
good thread..

to be honest, there are not only good advice on the internet, when it comes to OC..

Sometimes i see crazy settings, and they pass it on, hey its great..

X Pack wrote:
good thread..

to be honest, there are not only good advice on the internet, when it comes to OC..

Absolutely!
Before I've started I googled for some tips. But unfortunately they were bad. What happened next you already know.

hvac
Level 7
Dartmaul wrote:
Hello everybody.

I've decided to start this thread not how many for discussion but how many informing X79 newbie users.
Since 3930k is the most common chip in LGA2011 line and C2 is current stepping a hope this thread can safe some chips from degradation.

Why I decided to start this thread here:

1st of all, I have RIVE motherboard and have already damaged two 3930k CPUs on it. I have nobody to blame but myself, and I want to share my unlucky experience that nobody will repeat my fault.

2nd, one of the reasons I've done such a mistake was an OC guide that is posted right here, sticked on the top of "Rampage Series Motherboards"

3th, in some cases, on RIVE motherboard, while left on auto, VTT and VCCSA voltages may rise very high, that also can cause CPU degradation. Also color indication turns red only on 1.4v+ values, but in fact dangerous overvoltage begins much earlier.

If you have 3930K C2 CPU, NEWER SET VTT AND VCCSA VOLTAGES ABOVE 1.2V BECAUSE IT MAY(WILL) CAUSE CPU CORE DEGRADATION VERY FAST (FEW DAYS OR MAYBE FEW HOURS OR EVEN INSTANTLY!!!) (expect you use extreme (subzero) cooling)
Newer left these settings on "Auto" while overclocking, RIVE mb will rise VTT up to 1.35v!
Both VTT and VCCSA can be set to 1.1v (or lower) for most 24/7 OC. Use these settings as startup and rise it ONLY if necessary.

I also want to ask experienced members to post some approval/fix to this thread.
Thank you very mush and sorry for caps.

I have used the cpu level up overclocking and have had cpu @ 4.25 ghz 1.25 voltages for months have not noticed any problems. should I do anything with the voltages or is the auto cpu level up setting ok ?
3way 680's 3930k 4.25, x-fi , ax1200 , half x blue ray quad layer burner.

hvac wrote:
I have used the cpu level up overclocking and have had cpu @ 4.25 ghz 1.25 voltages for months have not noticed any problems. should I do anything with the voltages or is the auto cpu level up setting ok ?

Every Auto overclock profile contains more voltage you actually need. The 1st thing you should know while overclocking any chip on any platform is that every chip is different. Nobody knows optimal setting for your chip, you should find these settings out by your own.

I recommend to low VTT and VCCSA to 1.1v as I told in my previous post. Increase these voltages ONLY if your system will become unstable (I'm sure it wouldn't)

X Pack wrote:
good thread..

Absolutely!
Before I've started I googled for some tips. But unfortunately they were bad. What happened next you already know.

Retired
Not applicable
under 5.0 ghz.. no need to nuke it with voltage.. it wont go any faster..

X Pack wrote:
under 5.0 ghz.. no need to nuke it with voltage.. it dont go any faster..

If you wanna OC memory as well you may need to add some VCCSA.
But anyway I run my mem on 2400MHz with 1.1v VCCSA and VTT

HiVizMan
Level 40
Thank you for sharing your experiences and your views. I totally agree about each and every CPU being different and that each user should find the optimal settings for their own CPU.

Big respect for you taking responsibility for your own actions. I am sick to death of folks not manning up and always wanting to blame others. Respect dude.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

teichu72
Level 7
Mmmm... i have my 3930k oc to 4.6ghz , but i left VTT , VCCSA both auto and when i check in bios they staying 1.14v and 1.15v should i manual lower them to 1.1v??