cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microphone jack not working.

Retired
Not applicable
I am trying to get the microphone jack to work properly.

I have tried both deleting and updating the realtek drivers, as well as trying 2 different actual microphones (to make sure its not a hardware issue).

I tried making a recording using Windows 7's built-in app and when played back at FULL volume I get the faintest hint of sound.

That prompted me to turn the microphone gain all the way up in the windows sound settings but that did not have any discernible effect.

Are there any other drivers or settings I may be missing? Has anyone else successfully used the mic jack?

Thanks,Brian
1 REPLY 1

xeromist
I don't have your specific setup so I don't have step-by-step instructions for you but I do know that there is usually a checkbox for gain in the microphone audio properties or the driver's configuration software. All the microphones I've owned have required this because they were unpowered and the levels were low.

The other option is that (I think) the Windows 7 microphone setup helper might be able to turn this on for you. I know that it can auto-adjust levels but I'm not sure about the additional gain option.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…