cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Rampage IV Extreme Post Code AF

Kalidus
Level 7
I purchased an Asus Rampage IV Extreme about 4 months ago and have been using it with 0 problems. Last night I tried overclocking my processor using the built in profiles in my BIOS. After I had a successful overclock and played with it for a bit, I restarted my PC and reset the OC settings. Once I restarted my PC it wouldn't boot and it gave me an AF post code.

I have tried booting with one dimm of RAM, all of them, updated my BIOS, no luck.

Also, one of my BIOS seems to be malfunctioning, as soon as I boot it crashes, no post code, and just keeps restarting infinitely. The other one is 'working but I get post code B0, B1, AF all the time and whenever I update them it only takes a few seconds then stabilizes. I recall the first time I had to flash the BIOS it took quite a bit longer than that.

My set up is as follows:
Asus Rampage IV Extreme
16GB RAM GSkill 1600Mhz
Core i7 3820 - Watercooled
XFX 7970 Double D Black Edition
1 Mushkin Chronos 120GB SSD
1 SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD
1 Seagate 1TB 7200 RPM HDD

Somebody please help me, I have no idea what else to do.

Thanks in advance!
10 REPLIES 10

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hi there!:)

If I were you I would disconnect the power from the board completely and remove the battery too and leave it to sit like that for a while. Then replace battery and clear CMOS.

If that does not work try to reflash the BIOS this way http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?12749-RIVE-BIOS-FlashBack&country=&status=

It sounds like you might have been trying this but if the bios light only flashes for a short time it's because the flash is not taking, Download a fresh file from the net and only use the IO pannel usb2 ports for loading file to pendrive etc and of course the ROG port for the flash.

Make sure your RAM is seated properly, the rive can have the clips closed and the RAM can still be seated badly sometimes!

As last resort disconnect all power and remove CPU and then put it back and clear CMOS.

The default overclock profiles can run very hot. The extreme profile is only for LN2 cooling. If you use any of them make sure you cool the VRM or at best you will find the board throttles you.

Hi Arne, thanks for trying to help.

I just removed the battery and unplugged the system and will let it sit like this for a while and see if this works.

As for the RAM, I had that happen earlier, I was getting an error for one stick of RAM and I removed it and placed in again and it worked. Apparently, it allowed me to lock it but as you mentioned, it didn't really sit in the dimm.

I just decided to stay away from OCing now, I just wanted to give it a quick test and see how far I could push it. I wasn't aware that the extreme profiles required LN2. I thought LN2 OCing was supposed to be performed manually.

Also, I already tried removing the CPU and placing it back in. However, I'm unsure how to reset the CMOS. From what I've read, all I have to do is click the 'refresh' button beside the ROG connect button. However, that doesn't seem to do anything, all board lights power off when I press it and power on immediately after I let go. I'm not sure if that means it reset or not.

I will update as soon as I put the battery back in and attempt to boot again.

Thanks!

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Sometimes the BIOS can corrupt this may have happened here. If that is the case a re-flash using the BIOS flashback method should cure it. The clear CMOS switch does do just as you describe. You press it until it clicks and the board shuts of for a second and then back on. But sometimes the no power method is the only way.....

Well, mine doesn't actually click. I press the CLR CMOS, immediately the lights on the mobo go off. There is no click, I have tried waiting for a few seconds or simply clicking and letting go. Never heard a click, how long should I leave it pressed and expect it to click?

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hmmm the on off bit is the important bit there is no click from the mobo....if I remember rightly there is a very small click from the button itself but that might vary...and might be my imagination!?:D

Shamino
for the bad bios rom use the copy bios rom to bios rom function in bios to copy good bios to bad bios rom

I just reinserted the battery, plugged the system back in and reflashed the mobo. It's back up and running now 🙂

Thanks for all the help!

Now regarding overclocking, since I'm not running LN2. I should only try the 'non extreme' overclocking profiles. Is this correct?

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Cool! 😄

Yep....if I remember right the gamers OC is to 4.8 or 4.7 GHz which is quite high and since these profiles are pretty generic it will use quite a lot of voltage to do it! Make sure you have a fan over the VRM area.

In the long run best to set yourself up manually......

I just tried the gamers OC, it's running at about 4.3Ghz, I can't remember what the profile was aiming for but the extreme ones aim for 4.9Ghz. So this one was much lower.

I don't think I'll have issues with the cooling since I'm running a CM Cosmos II with 11 fans in it plus the WC for the CPU. 🙂

Thanks again for all your help!