cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

P9X79 Deluxe BIOS CAP Convert Problem

rlandersen
Level 7
Hi, Yesterday I tried to Flash my the BIOS of my P9X79 Deluxe from the stock one (which was 802 i think) using the P9X79 Deluxe converter and the Asus Update from AI Suite. I selected the file, clicked "Flash", waited for the process and then the computer rebooted to complete. First, I was at a screen with the information that the BIOS was being updated which last a few minutes to complete 100%. Then the information that the EC Firmware was being updated came up. This process was extremely slow and last for approximately 5 hours. The computer restarted and after a few minutes posted with a new message "BIOS is updating". Again, it was too slow and i went sleep. This morning the computer was sitting without any post or response with monitor led blinking. I waited for half an hour without response. So I turned off and on again. Waited a few minutes and came back to the exact screen I was last time: "BIOS is updating". The process is going on very slow again. What can I do? Please help. Is it normal to have post Issues after the second reboot during the BIOS update? How can I solve this problem and get past this part? Thank you.
14 REPLIES 14

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hi there 🙂

If I were you I would try powering off the computer and taking the battery out....then clear CMOS (all of this may be unnecessary but better safe than sorry) Then...download a fresh version of the CAP converter file for your board and flash again using this method http://event.asus.com/2012/mb/USB_BIOS_Flashback_GUIDE/

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Hi there 🙂

If I were you I would try powering off the computer and taking the battery out....then clear CMOS (all of this may be unnecessary but better safe than sorry) Then...download a fresh version of the CAP converter file for your board and flash again using this method http://event.asus.com/2012/mb/USB_BIOS_Flashback_GUIDE/

Thank you very much for your response. In fact, the BIOS Flashback method seens better.
But I need to know 2 things:
1) Is it going to work if I interrupt my first method of flashing?
2) How much time the convert ROM to CAP process usually take? This is the first time I do the converter and the other computers I have ever had always completed the whole process of updating a BIOS in a few minutes.
Is it possible to the process to take hours? Or certainly theres something wrong?

Can you help me, please?

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
I don't 100% know the answer to the first I haven't had to do it myself but I presume so... re-flashing a corrupt BIOS is the same....I dont think you lose anything to try....

.....because the answer to the second is; it should take a couple of minutes. The CAP file will make the bios light (and BIOS flash/rog connect light) flash slow at first and then quicker and quicker for about a minute until BIOS is loaded. You then switch on the computer and the BIOS will be updated this maybe a minute and a half... two minutes tops. So there is definately something wrong at the moment.

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
I don't 100% know the answer to the first I haven't had to do it myself but I presume so... re-flashing a corrupt BIOS is the same....I dont think you lose anything to try....

.....because the answer to the second is; it should take a couple of minutes. The CAP file will make the bios light (and BIOS flash/rog connect light) flash slow at first and then quicker and quicker for about a minute until BIOS is loaded. You then switch on the computer and the BIOS will be updated this maybe a minute and a half... two minutes tops. So there is definately something wrong at the moment.

Hi, thanks for your advice.
I did what you told me to do: Removed the battery, cleared CMOS, used the USB drive to flash the CAP converter for my board again. Evething seemed fine. The led blinked quicker and quicker until the process finished.

The problem now is: No Post.
Tryed to clear CMOS again and still No Post.

Is it possible to flash an earlier version of the BIOS or the CAP file directly? Or would it just get things worse?

Please, help me.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
After the flash you switched on the computer and no post right?

Things you could try...switch BIOS chip (I think that mb has 2 right?) And try again.

Assume cap conversion part has worked and flash bios file with .cap name.

Assume nothing has worked and flash a previous .ROM BIOS file

You could also run only one stick of RAM just to lessen the possibility that something else is interfering with boot.

You say no post. Any error code from the MB?

HiVizMan
Level 40
Clear CMOS

USB stick formatted to FAT32 with the last bios that worked on your board - download a fresh copy from the support page.

BIOS flash back time.

To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Another possibility: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?20104-Asus-Remp-IV-Bios-update-Converter-endless-loop-of-IR...

Hi, thank you!

So... I am not alone! Another person's computer took 8hrs during BIOS CAP convertion (which failed).

My situation now:
I did everything you guys told me to do, including flashing back an older BIOS (0906), disconnecting all the sata cables and keeping just 1 DIMM on the board.
Nothing changed! No post and nothing appears on the screen of my monitor that stays in standby mode with the led blinking.
You asked me about the QCode. It changes quickly during turn on and then stays at QCode=01, which in the QCode table describes "Power on. Reset type detection (soft/hard)."

You also mentioned the number of BIOS chips. Unfortunately, my board, which is P9X79 Deluxe only has one BIOS chip.

The guy from the link you sent me solved his problem flashing his chip in another board correctly and then putting it back.

I am seriously thinking about buying a new BIOS chip already flashed.
Do you have any other suggestions before going this way?
If not, where could I get a chip replacement that I can trust?

HiVizMan
Level 40
Just use the guys on ebay that have good feedback mate. They tend to do a good job of it. There is one guy in the US that ships to Brazil tell him what bios you want and he sends it off.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.