cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G73SW-XT1 wifi card upgrade issue

Idestruction
Level 7
Hey all, so my intel 6200 card got here today. Install was a breeze. However, Windows is unable to correctly install any drivers and any drivers that I do install do not work. It will make the card show up in device manager but it will say "This device cannot start" (Code 10). I have read that this is a driver issue, but nothing seems to work. Does it also matter that I forgot to uninstall the Atheros card/drivers before removing it?
6 REPLIES 6

evga
Level 9
try doing a fresh os install , only it can fix your probs.

not in the cards. That seems a little overboard for this issue

UPDATE:

I have contacted both Intel and Asus about this issue. They both have told me that they never recommend upgrading any component (such as the wifi card) as the components are made to work as a system. I think I may have bought this wifi card without doing enough deep research. Can anyone tell me if this Intel 6200 will work in my G73Sw-XT1, and if it will, why can't I get it to work?

Anyone have any tips? I am going to retry this tonight (I reinstalled the Atheros before going to work). This time, however, I will make sure to uninstall the Atheros driver and device before installing the Intel. I have downloaded the 13.5.0 driver only package from the Intel website. I have never flashed the bios on this computer (it is still the stock one that came with the laptop). Do I need to flash the bios? Is there a whitelist on the bios for the G73Sw-XT1 line? I do not really want to resort to using a mini-usb adapter, as those are not the greatest in terms of range. Do I need to check to make sure the adapter is enabled in the BIOS after installing the driver? This is horribly frustrating, as I keep reading about how easy it is for everyone else to upgrade to this card.

evga
Level 9
come on man , I have used an killer 1103 wifi card on my g73jh , so this 6200 is the stock card on g73jh and jw .
so it should work without a problem , the issue now is , the registry files are messed , so only way to fix is fresh install with new card installed .
thanks

You obviously have no idea what you are talking about. I have an Asus G73Sw-XT1, which comes stock with an Atheros AR9285 card in it. I have gone through multiple Atheros drivers, all of which have worked to some degree. No issues whatsoever with corrupted drivers. You seem to like to jump to the last resort before waiting to see if I have a defective card or not, because the system recognizes the card and lets me install drivers. It is after the drivers are installed that I get the error message in the device manager saying "This device cannot start" (Code 10). I will be checking this card with another laptop to see if it is defective, as this does happen. I highly doubt my registry is messed up

UPDATE:

Contacted the seller who sold me the card from Amazon, and will most likely be getting a new one, as this one is most likely DOA. Hate it when that happens. When I get the new one, I will be uninstalling the Atheros card and driver in safe mode to prevent any other complications. One other question, what driver version should I use (i have tried them all, but I keep reading that 13.5 is the one to use) and should I install just the driver or their software package that has the driver in it?