cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just bricked my G74SX, am i screwed now?

BullDozzer
Level 8
So i tried to to flash the throttle-fix bios on my G74SX, and now the powerbutton does nothing at all.

Flashed in easyflash from a thumbdrive, computer turns off after progress, and then the powerbutton does nothing...
Since i can't even get to bios, i cant reflash official bios on there, so it's officially bricked.

• Is there noway what so ever that i can fix it on my own?
  • I'm pretty sure that warranty won't have my back?
13 REPLIES 13

Sumbodee
Level 7
If your warranty is still in effect, ASUS will cover repairing your laptop after a failed BIOS update.

Sumbodee wrote:
If your warranty is still in effect, ASUS will cover repairing your laptop after a failed BIOS update.

Bought it one year ago so it should apply, but i have installed an SSD since then, and that might void it?

Carson wrote:
I had the exact same thing happen to me with my Asus G53JW the day I bought it. ASUS said it was my fault for flashing the BIOS and that they couldn't do anything, so I DoA'd it with Newegg and got a new one. That might not be an option for you.

It might be worth contacting ASUS, but I wouldn't get your hopes up. They have a pretty strict "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." stance on BIOS updates and even though it was broken, they didn't release an official fix.

If ASUS rejects you, you can try other things. I've never done anything like it, but googling 'recover from bad motherboard bios flash' came back with this article (link).

Just out of curiosity, was your thumbdrive plugged into a USB 3.0 port when you performed the flash?

Probably cant do that no

I guess i have to give contacting ASUS a try.

Yes, actually i did use a USB 3.0, was that wrong?

Love the fast answers of everyone btw! 🙂

BullDozzer wrote:

I guess i have to give contacting ASUS a try.

Yes, actually i did use a USB 3.0, was that wrong?

Yes, it was wrong to use a USB 3.0 to flash the BIOS.
It's too late now, but you should have used a FAT32 formatted USB 2.0 thumbdrive.
All is not lost, though. Try contacting ASUS for RMA. Good luck.

ADDENDUM: Swapping the stock HDD to an SSD won't void your warranty.
During RMA, just swap the stock HDD back to the laptop, if you wish.
ASUS G74SX-3DE

PILGRIM wrote:
Yes, it was wrong to use a USB 3.0 to flash the BIOS.
It's too late now, but you should have used a FAT32 formatted USB 2.0 thumbdrive.
All is not lost, though. Try contacting ASUS for RMA. Good luck.

ADDENDUM: Swapping the stock HDD to an SSD won't void your warranty.
During RMA, just swap the stock HDD back to the laptop, if you wish.

Well balls... so you think the bios-file was ok, it was just the port that screwed it up?

Aah good to know 🙂

EDIT: the usbdrive was a USB2.0 NTFS formatted usbdrive in a 3.0slot (which from my knowledge should work as a 2.0 then since the drive is only 2.0?). Could only that(the port and the formatting) be the issue? Since other users used the same BIOS and came out alright, could i do it again when/if i get it back from repair, and just by reformatting the usbstick and using an appropiate plug i'll do allright aswell?
Thanks in advance
BullDozzer

BullDozzer wrote:
Well balls... so you think the bios-file was ok, it was just the port that screwed it up?

Aah good to know 🙂

EDIT: the usbdrive was a USB2.0 NTFS formatted usbdrive in a 3.0slot (which from my knowledge should work as a 2.0 then since the drive is only 2.0?). Could only that(the port and the formatting) be the issue? Since other users used the same BIOS and came out alright, could i do it again when/if i get it back from repair, and just by reformatting the usbstick and using an appropiate plug i'll do allright aswell?
Thanks in advance
BullDozzer

From my experience (and the others here in the forums), the safest way
of flashing the BIOS is done in this manner:

-Access EasyFlash 2 via BIOS (F2).
-Use a USB 2.0 FAT32 formatted for the BIOS update (don't use NTFS format).
-The USB 2.0 thumbdrive should be connected to the laptop only to any of the
USB 2.0 ports (don't connect it via the USB 3.0 port).

I remember way back at least 2 or 3 forum members who bricked their laptops
in the same manner as you just did, either using a USB 2.0 NTFS formatted thumbdrive,
or inserting it in the laptop's USB 3.0 port.
ASUS G74SX-3DE

Carson
Level 8
I had the exact same thing happen to me with my Asus G53JW the day I bought it. ASUS said it was my fault for flashing the BIOS and that they couldn't do anything, so I DoA'd it with Newegg and got a new one. That might not be an option for you.

It might be worth contacting ASUS, but I wouldn't get your hopes up. They have a pretty strict "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." stance on BIOS updates and even though it was broken, they didn't release an official fix.

If ASUS rejects you, you can try other things. I've never done anything like it, but googling 'recover from bad motherboard bios flash' came back with this article (link).

Just out of curiosity, was your thumbdrive plugged into a USB 3.0 port when you performed the flash?

chrsplmr
Level 18
Welcome BullDozzer .. its the wkend .. be patient .. somebody will pop in ...

Cock_Rouge
Level 7
As always I am impressed with this forum. Really good info!:rolleyes:

Cock Rouge wrote:
As always I am impressed with this forum. Really good info!:rolleyes:

What's with the rolleyes smiley (sarcasm)? Got a better idea to help the OP?..
ASUS G74SX-3DE