Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[solved] Display driver stopped responding and has recovered

cntmrc
Level 7
Hello everybody. I have a new Asus G75.

My problem

My problem is that after the login, when I start the first program, the screen becomes black for an instant; then the backlight goes to maximum setting, the image comes back and following message appears:

Display driver stopped responding and has recovered
Display driver NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 296.44 stopped
responding and has successfully recovered.

After that error the computer can work for hours without any problem (but i have to set the baklight back to its value at any login). If the computer stays idle for quite some time, the error can come back again when I start re-using the computer.

I opened a thread here, but it was the wrong section i guess.

What I have tried

Attempt 1.
I've tried to download the latest driver from the Nvidia website (link). The graphics card model is "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670M", and the last driver I found is the version 304.79 beta (link). This attempt did not fix the problem.

Attempt 2.
Following the suggesions of the user c_man on this thread, I've tried to install the modded version of the driver, available here. I uninstalled all the Nvidia drivers (and disabled the auto-install option on windows 7). Then I edited the inf file in the display driver and i used the modified one. I installed this version of the driver. The drivers are working but the problem is still there.

Attempt 3.
I've tried the solution for this error on the Microsoft website here, using this "Fix it for me" application. No success.

Any of you experienced the same problem? Should I contact Asus support?

EDIT: The problem was a defective GPU card, I sent the computer bak to Asus, they replaced the GPU and now my computer is ok.
17 REPLIES 17

Ayman
Level 10
Best thing is to RMA the laptop or you can fix this but you will void your warranty it happen for me on Toshiba A505 Nvidia VGA and i fix it.
Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D.
CPU: Core i7-7700K.
Board: Asus Maximus IV Formula Z270.
VGA: Asus Strix GTX 1080.
Ram: 32GB Corsair VENGEANCE LED 3000MHz.
CPU Cooler: Corsair H110.
PSU: Corsair AX860iW.
SoundCard: Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D PCIe.

c_man
Level 11
What about BIOS? What versions do you have? I have BIOS 210 with vBIOS 70.24.47.00.07.

Might happen also if the GPU is unstable.

Shawnnepc
Level 13
Don't game on your laptop when its on battery.

GPU severely down-clocks itself when off of adapter

It often causes the gpu driver to crash
USA ASUS Reseller
http://www.neteffectspc.com

Thanks for the answers guys! The first thing I did was to upgrade the bios to last version, so it should not be the bios (unless there is some odd bug in the newer version). I usually don't play games on battery because performance kinda drops...

I've read somewhere that this problem can be related to the energy save system. Somebody on some forum (i can't find where now) stated that when the GPU is idle for some time the system reduces the voltage to save energy, and when some program requires the GPU (for example, a flash videoon a browser) the "wakup" process could be not fast enough... I don't know if this interpretation is true but is sure compatible with what I experience.

I've tried to uninstall the Asus Power2Go application, to see if the normal windows "energy-system" works better in this case, but the problem is still there. I think I will contact Asus next week. The computer essentially works fine, but it's annoying that I have to manually reset the backlight at any logon. Since the laptop is quite expensive I pretend no-issues (or fixable-issues at least)... It's my first Asus, I really like this model, but Asus feels to me a flip-coin in terms of quality... like the laptops were assembled by some chinese kid. Also, I think they should introduce some polystyrene protection in the shipping box... the actual box is quite rigid inside and the laptop is not safe when close into those two cardboard pieces. An expensive laptop needs a good safe shipping box, and a good quality control at the end IMO.

BTW, how Asus support does work? I have to call the phon number on the warranty card (which in Italy is 12month) and then?

Hi there!

I have similar problem with my G74SX that my drivers crash from time to time. Would you be so kind to post an update what have happened after you called the support. I would love to receive some feedback from someone regarding this issue.

Thank you in advance!

Georgi

Ayman
Level 10
This problem comes from the PCI-E on board not software thats why i told you send it RMA direct. I hope you get a new laptop fast :cool:
Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D.
CPU: Core i7-7700K.
Board: Asus Maximus IV Formula Z270.
VGA: Asus Strix GTX 1080.
Ram: 32GB Corsair VENGEANCE LED 3000MHz.
CPU Cooler: Corsair H110.
PSU: Corsair AX860iW.
SoundCard: Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D PCIe.

c_man
Level 11
I had the same problem on Dell 7720. When everything failled to solve it, I sent it back. But you do need to try every option first as RMA might take a long time.

cntmrc
Level 7
Next week I'm on holiday... I will contact Asus the last week of august, then I will fill-in the story here. Is the warranty valid even if someone don't rush to Asus support? I bought the computer a couple weeks ago so if there is something that should be done in the first 30 days I have to do it now...

My notebook is back to my local vendor now, waiting for Asus support... not sure if they can open an RMA or what, I'm just waiting for now. I hope for a substitution since it seems to be an hardware problem. I really hope the don't just format the computer and send back, that would piss me off quite a few. I've already tried the "format everything" solution with no success...