cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Mouse Mod: Applying 3M Di-Noc Carbon Fiber

MonsterMawd
Level 12

3M's new 3M DI–NOC carbon fiber is not a vinyl film. 3M describes it as a "synthetic textile." It's a flexible and lightweight carbon fiber textile with adhesive backing that looks like the real thing, only less expensive. It can be installed on both flat and curved surfaces. Textured to the touch, DI–NOC is ideal for the inside and outside of a computer chassis, keyboards, headsets, mice, or even your mobile phone. It's 8.3 mil thick and is very durable, so it withstands outdoor elements. You can apply it on your bicycle, car, or whatever you think deserves.

Tools & Supplies Needed

3M DI-NOC Black carbon fiber film
Phillips Screw Driver
Xacto Knife
Heat Gun
Scissors
Loctite brand Super Glue

I'm using a Steel Series "IKARI" gaming mouse for this tutorial, but you can use your own mouse.

1' x 1' sheet of 3M DI–NOC carbon fiber film should cover eight PC gaming mice, but we're only doing one.

To remove shell, you need to remove the three screws that are hidden under the front and rear skid pads. Use Xacto knife to start the peel off. You will glue the skid pads back on later.

The three screws that hold on the shell are revealed.

The center shell is held on with two plastic tabs beneath it and one tiny screw.

Use a Scissors to cut the film about a half inch larger than the mouse shell.

I'm using a Heat Gun with it's own pedestal. You can find Heat Guns on Ebay or local Home Improvement stores from $20 - $100

3M Dic-NOC requires very little heat before it becomes stretchable, to fit over curved surfaces. My Heat Gun was on it's LOWEST temperature setting.

Stretch the warmed film over the mouse, one portion at a time. If you get a wrinkle, then peel off the film, warm it again and re-apply. It may take some practice!

Once the film is applied evenly, use a Scissors or Xacto knife to remove the extra film around the edges of the mouse.

Using Xacto knife to clean up the edges of film on the mouse. Now you can re-assemble your mouse shell.

Re-attaching the two skid pads.

3M DI-NOC carbon fiber does look AND feel like the real thing!

I'm amazed at how durable it is. I could crumple up the film, heat it up, and it became a usable sheet again! After finishing the mouse, I looked around the shop to see what else would be fun to cover with DI-NOC. It would be fun to cover an entire computer case, laptop cover or game console controller. I'll just leave it to your imagination!
36 REPLIES 36

pcjunkie209
Level 9
Very nice indeed! I guess I'll have to frequent your store more often. .... 🙂
"I would rather be gaming!" Grunts-clan.com
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
http://Pcjunkiemods.com
http://c2cmods.com

xeromist
Other than look & feel does the cooled skin have any interesting structural properties? Like would it work stretched over a frame?
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

@ pcjunkie, give me heads up in advance before you place order! 😉

@xeromist, Yes, just heat it up, and you can stretch it over curved surfaces!

Check out the "Crumple" test I did

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1147221615#!/video/video.php?v=1879261938413

xeromist
I guess what I'm wondering is if it is still stretchy at the operating temperature of a PC case. Ideally a stretched frame should retain some tension in the covering material but maybe since this is adhesive on the back it wouldn't matter. What I'm thinking is a very lightweight case made of a CF frame with this material stretched over it to give the appearance that the whole thing is CF.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Hmmm, probably not the solution you want then. It's best used over surfaces.

Peter's Logitech keyboard with 3M Di-Noc Carbon fiber film

xeromist
Probably feels good under the palms too 🙂

Yes, it does!

Ed sent me a photo of his Corsair 800D with Di-Noc

Applying 3M Di-Noc Carbon Fiber Film to NZXT 120mm cooling fan.

It's easy to do! Just remove the factory sticker and use that for your template.

Applying to the back of the fan

Applied to the fan hub.