cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G75 Webcam Issue

ASI-Fox7
Level 9
First off, thanks for taking a look into a problem I'm having. I'll try and walk you through the steps I've done to get to this point. Secondly, I'm very savoy when it comes to workarounds, and problem solving, which is now why I've chosen to hit the forums.

I purchased the G75VW from Bestbuy with the intention of installing a Intel SSD as the primary, and moving the 1TB HDD to the slave position. First thing I did when got the laptop was create ASUS's recovery CD's, Windows Recovery CD, and did an overall snapshot on the systems layout.

Then I proceeded to transition over to the SSD. I first tried to Migrate the OS and files over via Intel's software and ran into the partition issues, so I tried third party migration software, no luck. It would have made things a little easier, but I ended up skipping the step, removed the HDD, and installed the SSD as primary, hit BIOS up for boot to CD, and began the installation process.

After Windows/ASUS did it's thing "Factory Installation" I then proceeded to install the HDD and format it via Command Prompt. At this point I had the OS on the Intel SSD, and the 1TB as a Secondary (Slave). Everything works, all software, ASUS Software, Propitiatory Drivers, Etc.

Here in lays the problem though, Windows doesn't see the Webcam (Device Manager/CIO Interface/Computer Tech Mapping), and ASUS programs say it's disabled (Lifeframe), I've been to the ASUS support site, rebuilt twice, and tried their "Downloads" which doesn't activate, nor install a driver for the webcam. There's nothing in BOIS, or P4G that disables it.

For lack of better terms, the webcam just doesn't exist, but yet I'm looking at it.. Any Ideas? I really don't want to RMA this thing out, it'll never come back the same.
• ASUS G75VW (120SSD/16GB Ram/2TB Slave/Upgraded Intel WiFi/Bluetooth Card) •

Sticky Threads:
1) OOB Computer Improvements

FIRST IN! LAST OUT! (101st PATHFINDER DET)
28 REPLIES 28

xeromist
I'm thinking that maybe it's in a different section of the device manager because it has an incorrect generic driver installed? Was that where it was on the spinning drive? I don't suppose you have any unidentified devices though, right?
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
I'm thinking that maybe it's in a different section of the device manager because it has an incorrect generic driver installed? Was that where it was on the spinning drive? I don't suppose you have any unidentified devices though, right?

Nope, I've scoured the Device Manager, WIN-SysInfo, and even looked in Run:MSConfig to see if it had a string, or syntax code. There are no "Unidentified Devices" either.

On a side note, these stupid CAPCHA's are a pain..

Sticky Threads:

c_man
Level 11
They will be gone once you have a few posts.

On topic, I would try to find a WIndows version on Internet and use the serial from Asus with that. A lot of people went this way since restore had many problems. I did a clean install from the start.

It's very hard for us to guess were the problem might be.

xeromist
That's a good point. If you get an OEM ISO from Digital River you can control what you install so that might give you a better shot at licking this. Just make sure you have a way of getting the wireless driver or already have it downloaded so you aren't stuck without a connection.

BTW, I don't suppose the original drive still has a working installation, does it? I'd be interested to see if the webcam still works normally under that install because it would immediately tell you if it's a hardware or a software issue.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Everything worked before I went the SSD route, I went through a battery of tests so as to not waste my time if there was an issue, I could just return it to the retailer (Best Buy). On the OEM side of things, it won't due me any good if I don't know the Manufacturer and Model to the webcam to install the right drivers will it? That's one issue I'm running into, no one can tell me who/what/where to find that info. It's all wrapped into ASUS's programs, which state they don't contain the Driver

From ASUS Support: ASUS Virtual Camera Utility (The Camera driver must be installed.) 1,99 (MBytes) 2012.03.02 update

But where's the driver? Not on their site, and I've still yet to hear an answer from someone ASUS. All the phone techs school me through the vast amount of "Already did that" boredom, and not to mention, they don't speak English very well.. I just wish ASUS customer service was a problem solving entity, instead of a generic pipeline walk through.

If anyone out there can run down the driver files and .DLL's and Zip them for me I'd be grateful. And or point be to the MANU of the camera.

Sticky Threads:

If I had to guess (and I do since I don't own a 5 series) I'd say that the camera is generic and should be installed by Windows automatically. I don't think there is anything specific you are supposed to install. That's why I'm wondering if maybe the order that things are installed matters and somehow the restore is not doing what it should.

dstrakele
Level 14
The Webcam is a USB device. Did you install the Intel Chipset driver to your Windows installation?

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?11541-G74SX-Disabled-Webcam-amp-Blueray-player indicates the webcam can be disabled in Power4Gear profiles on G74SX systems. Are you certain that isn't what has happened on your G75?
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Techinstein
Level 9
I had this problem to you have to download ASUS Life Frame Well the problem with the Best buy version with out ssd so there is no camera software that comes with it you have to download ASUS Life Frame I well post link in another post below and on your wall so you can download it. I had same problem where I was trying to figure out why the webcam didnt work. My System G75VW-BBK5.

My machine: G75VW-BBK5 with Windows 8 Pro :cool:

My YouTube: EpicTechinsteinTime

Techinstein
Level 9
Here is my thread with the link.
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?21054-G75-Webcam-Issue&country=&status=

My machine: G75VW-BBK5 with Windows 8 Pro :cool:

My YouTube: EpicTechinsteinTime