cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

rampage iv extreme PCH fan issue, help!

eaglespeed
Level 7
hello everyone, this is my first post here, I really need some help with this issue and I hope someone with similar issue could provide some insight about this.
so after I took my pc apart for cleaning and re-applying the thermal paste on the processor, when I put everything back I noticed that the motherboard chipset fan (pch fan) was spinning at full speed, so I figured that because I disconnected the motherboard from the psu the bios resetted, so I went into the bios and made sure that the q-fan is enabled and the pch fan control is set to profile and to the lowest setting ( silent), after restarting the pch fan didn`t respond to the to the bios command and still spinning at full speed, which is very laud, i have tried all sort of solutions such as trying different version of bios, other fan profiles, disconnecting the pch fan header and connected it back, but nothing helped, whats really bothering me is the noise, this thing is really Lauder than all my fans in the case and is distracting, what I have also notice is the chassis fan-1 doesn`t report its connected into the bios or fanxpert, it just spins with no fan speed or anything, but apparently when I connect another fan it reports the speed which is weird.
p.s posted this issue in rampage iv extreme owners club but unfortunately got no responds.

I would appreciate if anyone facing similar issue even with different motherboard from different venders as this will help me determine what is causing the problem.

thank you all in advanced waiting for your replies.
31 REPLIES 31

Premudriy
Level 9
Are you absolutely sure that fan spins at 100%? I have another system where RAM has tiny fans. Those fans get either dirty overtime or ball-bearing oil dries out and they become loud, even though they are not at 100% speed. In such case I open a tiny cap where ball-bearing is and put a drop of WD-40 (I have to do this like once a year or so).

If it's not the case for you, the only other thing I'd do is reset the CMOS and then change only the PCH fan without touching anything thing else to see if it affects the fan.

Premudriy wrote:
Are you absolutely sure that fan spins at 100%? I have another system where RAM has tiny fans. Those fans get either dirty overtime or ball-bearing oil dries out and they become loud, even though they are not at 100% speed. In such case I open a tiny cap where ball-bearing is and put a drop of WD-40 (I have to do this like once a year or so).

If it's not the case for you, the only other thing I'd do is reset the CMOS and then change only the PCH fan without touching anything thing else to see if it affects the fan.

thank you for the quick reply, yes I am sure its spinning at 100%, I have only had this motherboard for 4 months or so, I tried resetting CMOS but this didn`t help, I don`t knows whats causing the problem, when I installed my motherboard back, first the cpu fans would spin a bit then stopped, and the pch fan was spinning at 100%, fixed the cpu fan issue by tweaking the bios and flashing it to the latest version, but the pch remain at 100% despite all the tries.
am guessing bios conversion has something to do with it, since the problem only appeared after converting the bios ( was of after conversion )after a week or so when I uninstalled the motherboard.
another thing I would like to add that might help in determining what could be causing the problem is when I removed the motherboard one of the standoffs was hocked to the screw and it took some kind of force to remove the motherboard from the case and removing the screw from the standoff, I don`t know if this is relevant by anyway, but perhaps I damaged something while doing that, everything runs fine on the motherboard, I only got few blue screens after installation but this was fixed.

perhaps someone with similar issue could shed some light, cuz if I have damaged something I don`t think the motherboard would even boot.

well I have been thinking of getting the sabertooth x79 lately so if this issue is not solved I might as well sell the baby and get the sabertooth or the asrock x79 extreme 11 ( overkill) instead, despite me loving the ROG theme and ROG features on the MB,

I am currently on vacation and on my g53sx but am posting since I have time and this will make solving the issue easier when I get back.

I hope I can solve this issue.

Zka17
Level 16
Could not happen that the fan is spinning at 100% because the South Bridge overheats? Maybe when you forced to mobo to take out, the SB block came loose...

GuzMonster
Level 7
Clear cmos and load bios optimized default settings. Sometimes fan speeds get crazy if this is not done.
z790 maximus hero
13900k intel
4090 geforce
tforce 7200 ddr5

I checked the temps on the pch when the fan was running at 100% in the bios and I think it was close to 49c - 55c, so there isn`t any overheating issues, I even disconnected the pch fan and used the pc for a while and everything was fine, the heatsink is attached properly and everything seemed to be in place as I made sure of everything when I noticed the problem.
I did clear the cmos and loaded optimized defaults but all that didn`t help I also tried different version of bios but the issue persisted

SUKARA
Level 10
so, if the problem still can't solved,maybe you can plan the moterboard to repair and test....

Confirm that all the little wires are plugged correctly into the socket.
A fan at full speed, and not being monitored indicates a potential issue with the little connector that hooks the fan up to the motherboard.
If the motherboard isnt sensing a speed, it cant control the fan speed.

Also, try setting the profile to duty at 50 percent and see if that changes anything.

Rainwulf wrote:
Confirm that all the little wires are plugged correctly into the socket.
A fan at full speed, and not being monitored indicates a potential issue with the little connector that hooks the fan up to the motherboard.
If the motherboard isnt sensing a speed, it cant control the fan speed.

Also, try setting the profile to duty at 50 percent and see if that changes anything.

I did indeed made sure of that and I also connected and disconnected the pch fan header, the pch fan reports speed but I cannot be controlled through the bios, the one that is not reporting the speed is the chasiss fan-1 but am suspecting its an issue with the fan itself since when I connect another fan in the header, the new fan reports normally.

have anyone heard of this type of the problem before, cuz I cannot find anyone that is facing the same issue, seems like am the only one with such problem.

another suggestion, is there is a way to convert the bios back to the old format, before version 1404 ? perhaps if I convert the bios back the problem might disappear.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
For 1404 you can flash to an earlier bios http://event.asus.com/2012/mb/USB_BIOS_Flashback_GUIDE/ renaming the bios file R4E.ROM

If you have run the CAP converter you can flashback to a 1.xxx BIOS (from 2003 onwards) by renaming the BIOS file ERALL.ROM...