+ Reply to Thread

Thread: BIOS Update(CAP): reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media ...

ROG Enthusiast sigtrm +10 sigtrm's Avatar

BIOS Update(CAP): reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media ...

Hi,
    after updating from 12xx to CAP BIOS (with converter via UPdate from AI SUITE) I can't boot as usual.
    Every restart throws: "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key",
    after reboot, doing DEL>BIOS>Boot>CSM Paramters (nothing Changed) > F10 Save and rebboot it boots from my SSD drive, but on next restart it is same over again, message, enter bios > hit F10 Save reboot.

photo 1.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    photo 3.JPG

Super Moderator HiVizMan +200 HiVizMan +200 HiVizMan +200 HiVizMan's Avatar

Select your hard drive that has your OS and set as default?

I do know that it is better to use the EZflash utility in BIOS and not use OS to flash bios especially the CAP one.

ROG Enthusiast Toddd240 +10 Toddd240's Avatar

same thing happened to me going to 2105....

it changed my boot drives. It had me booting from my 1TB storage drive instead of the intel SSD.

Quote Originally Posted by HiVizMan View Post
    Select your hard drive that has your OS and set as default?

I do know that it is better to use the EZflash utility in BIOS and not use OS to flash bios especially the CAP one.
    I am sorry but I can't see such option, can you tell me the menu path for setting drive as default?

No problem my friend.

During the boot process press F8 and navigate to your hard drive with the OS.

No problem my friend.

During the boot process press F8 and navigate to your hard drive with the OS.
    Thanks... but I dont see any option to boot any of my drives by default. I assume it is implicitly set after choosing one of the drives listed in F8 menu.
    This somehow works survives restarts from under OS, after shutdown it also detects properly boot disk but after a few hours/or few reboots it still throws error from the topic.

If that is the case then I suspect your BIOS flash was not success. I would redo the BIOS flash following the video guide that can be found here on the forums.

Please remember to do a clear CMOS once you have completed the BIOS flash procedure.

If that is the case then I suspect your BIOS flash was not success. I would redo the BIOS flash following the video guide that can be found here on the forums.

Please remember to do a clear CMOS once you have completed the BIOS flash procedure.
    This did not help. I reflashed BIOS(tho I am pretty sure 1st one was OK). 1st boot almost always fails, restarts usually are fine but sometimes it happens that these fail too. I dont understand why there is no option to choose explicitly default boot device.

Next thing is that I have two Disks, one main is SSD second one is HDD and there is Win7 on both.(Windows 7 boot shows two choices)

Super Moderator - Coderat Nodens +200 Nodens +200 Nodens +200 Nodens's Avatar

I got 3 questions first:

1) Do you know if you windows installation is on GPT? Did you install in UEFI mode? (As in when you booted the Windows installation media did you boot the disc in UEFI mode? If yes Windows should have partitioned your drive as GPT)
    2) Have you by any chance enabled Secure Boot in the UEFI?
    3) To make sure that I understood properly. You have 2 Windows installations, one on each disk. Correct? This is intended right? Or you have only one installation but you see 2 entries on the boot menu?

Now on that menu in the UEFI that is shown in your second screenshot there more options below the Security Boot Parameters and you have to scroll down to see them. The boot order should be there. Let me know what options you can see there. Does it have a "Windows Boot Manager" option? Or does it simply list your drives? If there is a "Windows Boot Manager" option set that one as default and try booting.
    RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
    There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

ROG Bodhi: Orion's belt Arne Saknussemm +300 Arne Saknussemm +300 Arne Saknussemm +300 Arne Saknussemm +300 Arne Saknussemm's Avatar

I can imagine maybe that is not so good (2x win 7 both left as options for boot I mean) but have you got the boot priorities set in the BOOT menu I don't see you mention this specifically ....You could go to Hard drive BBS priorities and disable the drive you are not wanting to boot from.

Phobya Bench Table / Rampage IV Black Edition / i7 4930K Stock - 4.9GHz / 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 CMD16GX3M4A2133C9
    ASUS GTX Titan Black or ASUS Matrix Platinum R9 290X / ASUS Xonar Essence STX
    1x OCZ Vector 150 240GB, 2x OCZ Vertex 3 240GB, 2x WD Caviar Black 500GB
    Custom loop: EK Supreme HF Full EN /EK-FC BLOCK for TI/TITAN / 2x EK Coolstream XTX 360
    Dual D5 Varios with EK D5 X-Tops / EK- RES X3 400
    Dell U2711

+ Reply to Thread