cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BIOS Update(CAP): reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media ...

sigtrm
Level 7
Hi,
after updating from 12xx to CAP BIOS (with converter via UPdate from AI SUITE) I can't boot as usual.
Every restart throws: "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key",
after reboot, doing DEL>BIOS>Boot>CSM Paramters (nothing Changed) > F10 Save and rebboot it boots from my SSD drive, but on next restart it is same over again, message, enter bios > hit F10 Save reboot.

9 REPLIES 9

HiVizMan
Level 40
Select your hard drive that has your OS and set as default?

I do know that it is better to use the EZflash utility in BIOS and not use OS to flash bios especially the CAP one.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

same thing happened to me going to 2105....

it changed my boot drives. It had me booting from my 1TB storage drive instead of the intel SSD.

HiVizMan wrote:
Select your hard drive that has your OS and set as default?

I do know that it is better to use the EZflash utility in BIOS and not use OS to flash bios especially the CAP one.

I am sorry but I can't see such option, can you tell me the menu path for setting drive as default?

HiVizMan
Level 40
No problem my friend.

During the boot process press F8 and navigate to your hard drive with the OS.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
No problem my friend.

During the boot process press F8 and navigate to your hard drive with the OS.

Thanks... but I dont see any option to boot any of my drives by default. I assume it is implicitly set after choosing one of the drives listed in F8 menu.
This somehow works survives restarts from under OS, after shutdown it also detects properly boot disk but after a few hours/or few reboots it still throws error from the topic.

HiVizMan
Level 40
If that is the case then I suspect your BIOS flash was not success. I would redo the BIOS flash following the video guide that can be found here on the forums.

Please remember to do a clear CMOS once you have completed the BIOS flash procedure.

HiVizMan wrote:
If that is the case then I suspect your BIOS flash was not success. I would redo the BIOS flash following the video guide that can be found here on the forums.

Please remember to do a clear CMOS once you have completed the BIOS flash procedure.

This did not help. I reflashed BIOS(tho I am pretty sure 1st one was OK). 1st boot almost always fails, restarts usually are fine but sometimes it happens that these fail too. I dont understand why there is no option to choose explicitly default boot device.

Next thing is that I have two Disks, one main is SSD second one is HDD and there is Win7 on both.(Windows 7 boot shows two choices)

Nodens
Level 16
I got 3 questions first:

1) Do you know if you windows installation is on GPT? Did you install in UEFI mode? (As in when you booted the Windows installation media did you boot the disc in UEFI mode? If yes Windows should have partitioned your drive as GPT)
2) Have you by any chance enabled Secure Boot in the UEFI?
3) To make sure that I understood properly. You have 2 Windows installations, one on each disk. Correct? This is intended right? Or you have only one installation but you see 2 entries on the boot menu?

Now on that menu in the UEFI that is shown in your second screenshot there more options below the Security Boot Parameters and you have to scroll down to see them. The boot order should be there. Let me know what options you can see there. Does it have a "Windows Boot Manager" option? Or does it simply list your drives? If there is a "Windows Boot Manager" option set that one as default and try booting.
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
I can imagine maybe that is not so good (2x win 7 both left as options for boot I mean) but have you got the boot priorities set in the BOOT menu I don't see you mention this specifically ....You could go to Hard drive BBS priorities and disable the drive you are not wanting to boot from.