cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

won't wake from sleep - suspect Asus issue. M4A89GTD PRO/USB3

bigpygme
Level 7
recently when trying to wake this DIY homke built computer from sleep, fans and drives spin but i get a blamk black screen. no signal is going to the monitor.

i've been carefully over the power options settings and M$ tech's have worked with me for hours. i think if it was an OS issue (Win 7 x64) it would have been resolved. so i think it's an Asus issue. probably not the display driver - i am up to date on the current driver for the Asus EAH 5770. more likely something about the BIOS or mobo.

it's pretty frustraing to get the Resuming Windows screen instead of it just waking up the way it used to. i don't know of any changes or additions that happened at the time the problem started.

i had a WIndows Image saved from early March, pretty sure it was from before the madness started, but reverting back to that saved image file d id not change any of this behvaior - more reason for me to think it's about mobo and probably BIOS. i have the latest BIOS flashed already, have had for a while, i don't think that was a proximate cause for this problem.

any ideas, anyone? HEEEEEELP !!!!!!!

thanks for your time and sharing your expertise.

Michael
32 REPLIES 32

Raja
Level 13
Hi, is the system running at stock or overclocked? If it is overclocked, revert back to stock and see if it persists - if it does there are a number of possible causes, including memory, the GPU and or other plug in devices. If it's none of those then look towards the motherboard.

it IS modestly O/C'd, Raja. i can roll it back. M$ has never asked or looked at the O/C'ing while they've been working with me on this issue. they did begin to think it's an Asus issue.

Memory = Crucial, 8GB DDR3. i've checked the 4 sticks and sockets. all appear to be OK.

GPU = Asus EAH 5770, ATI driver is up to date.

no PNP devices other than the mouse and keyboard.

"then look toward the mobo." OK . assuming rolling back the O/C doesn't change anything, what do you mean by then looking toward the mobo? is there a BIOS setting or configuration i can look at? or would it be the mobo itself, which is still under warranty?

thanks LOTS for any more troubleshooting help you might offer ...

Michael

xeromist
In terms of the memory, physical inspection won't tell you much. I usually run memtest86. It's free and pretty good at diagnosing memory problems.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

thanks - i know about memtest.
i mean that each stick, by itself, is able to run the computer successfully. didn't and doesn't seem necessary to memtest them.

still looking for clues about waking up from sleep, fans and disks spin but i get a blank black screen.

Michael

Try running Memtest with all of the sticks installed and see if it passes - if there is a BIOS setting issue with memory timings when running interleaved then this might catch it. If it fails we can take a look at the BIOS settings for memory.

thx for the tip.
ran memtest86 ver 4.0 for 12 hours, passed with no errors.
what might be next to try ?

i am really thinking it has something to do with an Asus setting, since i have both an Asus mobo and Asus video card - probably BIOS but maybe something else.
is this black screen/ not waking from sleep a known problem with Asus mobo, do you know ?

regards,
Michael

Not known as a common issue no. Have you tried a fresh install of Windows? Its ok to do this on a separate drive just for the sake of seeing what happens (so that you don't lose your current install). Fresh install, and news drivers with bare minimum system components - GPU, keyboard and mouse, let's see if that resumes from S3.

FlanK3r
Level 13
sometimes can help only basic CLR CMOS...I heard about it on diferent mobo from ASUS
Who knows me, knows me ;)....AMD 3000+, AMD x2 4600+ EE, AMD X4 955 BE C2,2x AMD X4 965 BE C3, AMD X4 970 BE C3, AMD x4 975 BE, AMD x4 980 BE, AMD X6 1090T BE, AMD x6 1100T BE, 2x AMD FX-8120, 2x AMD FX-8150, FX-6300, FX-8300, FX-8320E, FX-8320, FX-8350, FX-8370, FX-8370E, FX-9370, FX-9590, AMD A8-3850, AMD A8-3870K, A8-5600K, A10-5800K, A10-6800K, A10-7850K, A10-7870K, A 5150, Athlon x4 860K, Intel i7-5960X, i7-6700K, Intel i7-4770K, Intel i7-980x, Intel i7 2600k, Intel i7-3770K, i7-3930K.

bigpygme
Level 7
thx , Raja - interesting idea.
not really sure how a clean install of the OS on my back-up HDD would work - how to set it as the place to install the OS, or get it to boot that OS.

and if i DID get it to run offhe back up HDD, what would we learn? would that show that the mobo is fine? (SOMETHING'S not fine, for sure.)

and thx, FlankR -- i did clear the CMOS already, both by moving the jumper and by just pulling the dang battery out ...

Michael