cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus maximus v extreme post/boot problem

JDMTEC
Level 7
Hey guys,

I've stumbled across a problem with my new ASUS Maximus V Extreme Motherboard.
No matter what I try and diagnose, it will not boot. The system LEDs are on when the PSU is connected but when the Power button (both on the motherboard and case) are pressed, the fans will start spinning for approximately half a second then will not boot/post and turn off.

I've done all the prereq. checks and nothing will reslove this apart from ONE thing. I was trying different settings and the only thing that actually progressed to post boot was the LN2 Mode header and switching this. It eventually got me to a Post error (regarding IDE device). Then after turning off, the same thing is occuring and will not post/boot.

Can anyone please help?
11 REPLIES 11

Krindor
Level 11
If you haven't try clear cmos, worked for me
| Chassi: Phantom Fulltower White Edition | Mobo: Maximus V Extreme | CPU: i7 3770k
| Memory: 2x8gb G.Skill Trident X 2400mhz | GPU: PNY Geforce GTX 670 | PSU: NZXT Hale 90 750w
| SSD: Intel 120gb 330 series (OS) | Intel 120gb 330 series (Games n stuff)
| Monitor: LG 29EA93 | Cooling: Custom Loop

Krindor wrote:
If you haven't try clear cmos, worked for me

Thanks for the response.

This may be an obvious question, but regarding clearing CMOS, is it simply a matter of pressing the button near the USB ports on the Motherboard? If so, yes and this unfortunately hasn't resolved the issue.

Krindor
Level 11
There are 2 buttons, one which is clear cmos and the other rog connect. Clear cmos is the Arrow that forms a round ring. Also check if you put a cable wrong which could make the startup fail. If this doesn't work you'll have to wait for the pros to answer.
| Chassi: Phantom Fulltower White Edition | Mobo: Maximus V Extreme | CPU: i7 3770k
| Memory: 2x8gb G.Skill Trident X 2400mhz | GPU: PNY Geforce GTX 670 | PSU: NZXT Hale 90 750w
| SSD: Intel 120gb 330 series (OS) | Intel 120gb 330 series (Games n stuff)
| Monitor: LG 29EA93 | Cooling: Custom Loop

HiVizMan
Level 40
What I would suggest is to remove all the hardware from your motherboard. Leave the CPU in for now.

Then fit only the bare minimum to post to BIOS. That means no hard drives or SSD please.

Basic set up should be something like this.

Keyboard and mouse.
VGA
and one stick of ram in the furtherest slot from the CPU.
Ensure that all the PSU connectors are fitted pay extra note of the CPU 12 V connectors.

You can also try your B BIOS and the go mem button before you strip your system.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
What I would suggest is to remove all the hardware from your motherboard. Leave the CPU in for now.

Then fit only the bare minimum to post to BIOS. That means no hard drives or SSD please.

Basic set up should be something like this.

Keyboard and mouse.
VGA
and one stick of ram in the furtherest slot from the CPU.
Ensure that all the PSU connectors are fitted pay extra note of the CPU 12 V connectors.

You can also try your B BIOS and the go mem button before you strip your system.

Thanks for the response. I have checked all of the above with no sucessful. After reading the forums, this seems like a very common issue..

HiVizMan
Level 40
What were the Q-code (LED poster) during the process? Where did it stick?

When you say checked I hope you mean you did exactly as I asked. 🙂
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
What were the Q-code (LED poster) during the process? Where did it stick?

When you say checked I hope you mean you did exactly as I asked. 🙂

The error code I encountered was A2 (IDE Detect) I believe.. I have followed your instructions but cannot get to the stage of any error codes/post.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Thank you.

Assuming you have all your PSU power connectors seated correctly especially the 12v CPU connector...

I suggest that you RMA the board

HiVizMan wrote:
Thank you.

Assuming you have all your PSU power connectors seated correctly especially the 12v CPU connector...

I suggest that you RMA the board

I have followed your advise and sent the board away for RMA. On a slightly different note, I was curious as to whether or not it's legal for a Computer parts reseller to charge me $50 to have the motherboard assessed by one of their technicians, only to find that it was infact DoA, then advising me it needs to be sent to ASUS.

I found this to be an extremely poor experience and they have also advised me that I may have to wait 2-4 weeks for this to return to the shop from ASUS. Is this true? I live in Melbourne - Australia.

Thank you again in advance 🙂