cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Computer GPU Stuttering

Tigital
Level 8
So, I've been getting stuttering in my computer since 2 days ago. I searched on Google about the problem for the past few days.
I did chkdsk, reg clean, defragmenting, disk cleanup, virus scan, turning antivirus off, reinstalling drivers, updating drivers, unplugging USB devices, monitoring hardware. I could not fix it.
Whenever I play a game/video/load gui/music/scrolling files/browsing web, I get normal frames but every few seconds, the computer will freeze everything except the mouse cursor for 1 second or so, then return to normal, this issue is extremely frustrating as I can not find what problem is causing this. After awhile, I found that something is going on with my GPU, when I run a game or something that requires the GPU to load, the GPU usage will stutter from 99%/100% to 0% for a second, freezing the whole computer. anyone know what is happening? Yea I tried underclocking and overclocking the PC as well even changing resolution, anyone know?
Asus G73SW-3DE
Intel® Core™ i7 2630QM 2.00GHZ
Intel® HM65 Express Chipset
8GB DDR3 1333 MHz DRAM
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 460M 1.5GB GDDR5 VRAM
Full HD 3D(1920x1080 120Hz) LED backlight
500 GB x2 SSD/HDD 7200 RPM
10 REPLIES 10

tkd_ron
Level 8
I had a problem with some games and other apps causing a micro stutter and tried all kinds of fixes, but what worked for me was using a little program called quiet hdd and nvidia inspector/tools and changed the nvidia global setting from adaptive to maximum performance , quiet hdd got rid of my stuttering in games and using it and changing to maximum performance in global settings made my overall computing faster.

tkd_ron wrote:
I had a problem with some games and other apps causing a micro stutter and tried all kinds of fixes, but what worked for me was using a little program called quiet hdd and nvidia inspector/tools and changed the nvidia global setting from adaptive to maximum performance it got rid of my stuttering in games and internet browsing made my overall computing faster.

It is already at "prefer maximum performance"
Asus G73SW-3DE
8GB DDR3 1333 MHz DRAM

dstrakele
Level 14
It looks like a defective Seagate XT hybrid drive may be the cause of your stuttering, @Tigital aka @xShadowCrisisx. See @sl0519's reply in your thread over at NBR Forum: http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/686989-gpu-stuttering.html.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

cl-scott
Level 12
I was actually thinking it sounded like the old IDE DMA bug from the XP days, so I could definitely get on board with the idea of it being a bad HDD.

BTW, stay away from registry cleaners/fixers/whatevers. They tend to create problems rather than solve them. The registry really doesn't need any user maintenance, save maybe a few highly specific cases. Leave well enough alone.

dstrakele
Level 14
It appears like the SSD portion of the Seagate XT hybrid drive goes bad, resulting in intermittent freezes every few seconds, video and/or audio stuttering, or intermittent FPS drops. It can also be reported as overall slow performance.

Anyone running a Seagate hybrid drive and experiencing these symptoms should be suspicious of this as a possible cause. As reported in this thread, CHKDSK does not report errors, nor does HDTune Pro, as discussed in http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/686774-need-help-g73sw-freezes-every-few-..., so it is difficult to troubleshoot.

Tigital
Level 8
Thanks for the info I guess. So the data in the drive may be gone after awhile? Im getting a new PC soon, I will evacuate all data
Asus G73SW-3DE
8GB DDR3 1333 MHz DRAM

dstrakele
Level 14
Rather than damaging data on the hybrid drive, the defective SSD component appears to affect performance, causing the freezing behavior on your laptop. Some have reported backrevving the Seagate hybrid drive firmware to SD26 resolves their performance issues (see http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/621265-seagate-momentus-xt-users-should-r...). It's discussed that this firmware version bypasses the SSD component, slowing drive performance by eliminating the SSD, so the drive is no longer "hybrid" but just like any other spinning platter HDD.

The OP of this referenced thread, @madnj, reports he initially worked around his performance issue by backrevving his hybrid drive to SD26 firmware, but later RMA'ed his drive to have it replaced. His hybrid drive replacement could run faster with firmware version SD28 and not cause issues. You may be able to do the same, if your Seagate hybrid drive is still under warranty.

Tigital
Level 8
Well, the laptop is still under warranty, but I need all my pc data to be placed somewhere.
But one problem is that I do not know which is the defective drive
Asus G73SW-3DE
8GB DDR3 1333 MHz DRAM

dstrakele
Level 14
Your HDD with drive C: (containing the OS) is likely responsible for the freezing issue you report. Your challenge will be to convince the ASUS Service Center that there is a problem with the HDD. You'll need to supply them with detailed steps to reproduce the issue.

Alternatively, as I posted earlier, you can follow the steps in the thread I referenced to install the SD26 firmware. Your drive will run somewhat slower, since it will not use the SSD component, but it will run without intermittent freezing.