cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to remove Asus extras and Recovery partition for a SSD (Solid State Drive)

balrog
Level 7
Newegg had a sale on 90GB SSD's. I bought 1. I watched the video on its installation and my recovery discs (4) put windows and all the Asus goodies back on the new SSD.

There is very little space left to add games and applications.

I have the stock HDD in bay 2 and can still boot from it should I need to.

1. Its my understanding there is a way to remove the hidden recovery partition that the new recovery discs added to the SSD. How?

2. What other bloatware and Asus features can I safely uninstall to make more room?

3. Thanks in advance, my Asus ROG guru's all.

John
Asus G74Sx-RH71
Bios 203
GeForce 560M
5 REPLIES 5

LeeEang
Level 7
Hey John,

The best way to save more spaces for your SSD is to do a clean installation meaning setting up a new windows and install all of the required drivers which can be found from this link (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?5224-Drivers-Apps-and-How-to-s). This way, you don't get to get all of those bloatwares thattake up the limited space you have.

But if you want to just remove the hidden recovery partition, I believe you can go to Computer Management. It can be accessed through My Computer by right click on My Computer and choose Manage, then a new window appears and choose Disk Management. In that tap, you'll see an unamed partition (mine is 25GB), then right click on it and choose Delete Volume. It will confirm you if you really want to do it, choose yes if you are sure about it. It'll take about a few minutes (depends on your laptop), then it will become a free partition. Go to your Main windows partition drive (which is usually drive C) then right click and choose Extend. This extend will let you add the free partition into your Window partition and it will take some time to do so. Wait for it to finish then you sucessfully add more spaces.

Still, I would recommend do a clean install 'cause that way will save you more spaces and you don't have the left over bloatware on your SSD. You can take a loook at this link (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?22210-Clean-Installation-for-Asus-G74Sx-BBK8/page2), Pilgrim listed all the required drivers for new windows and those drivers can be downloaded from Asus website.

Hope this is the answer you're looking for.

LeeEang
Level 7
In case you decide to do a clean install, here's the link that guides you through the process (http://www.blackviper.com/os-install-guides/windows-7-install-guide/). You'll also need to download the Windows 7 Integrated ISO (http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-24209.iso) and burn it to DVD or use a flash drive, which ever way you want, then follow the above link to do the installation.

I like the idea of deleting and extending the C partition.

Lets say i get the .iso and do a clean install one day. Will I have to purchase a new windows 7 license from microsoft?

Thanks in advance
John
Asus G74Sx-RH71
Bios 203
GeForce 560M

balrog wrote:
I like the idea of deleting and extending the C partition.

Lets say i get the .iso and do a clean install one day. Will I have to purchase a new windows 7 license from microsoft?

Rest assured the ASUS Recovery Partition won't affect in any way your Windows 7 license.
No need for you to be purchasing a new Windows license.

Downloading and installing the Windows 7 Home Premium ISO referenced above
is what we call just a Windows clean install. You can always do it anytime you want
for as long as you use it with the Windows Product Key found at the bottom of your
laptop. The Product Key is only limited to your G-Series laptop.
ASUS G74SX-3DE

LeeEang
Level 7
Pilgrim is right! All you need to do is write down the product key you find under your laptop and during the last process of installing, it'll ask for the product key and you just need to type those in. If somehow your windows is not activated, you'll have to go to System (where you chceck if your windows is activated) then click on Activate It now. Then you'll be brought to a new window giving you 2 options: Activate Through Phone and Type In a New Product key. Choose the Activate Through Phone and it'll give you a phone number to call to and it takes about 5 minutes to activate (you just need to type in the 8 groups of numbers when they ask for it and they'll respond back to you with the activation code).

Like I said earlier, Windows clean install is the better choice because you don't need to have those bloatwares on your laptop and it will improve the performance as well. The choice is yours. 😉