cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No post, no error beeps

Retired
Not applicable
I've been running a Maximus III Formula with an i7 860 for over a year now, and a week ago it refused to post. I already RMA'd the board, no success. Here's what's going on:
The CPU Q_LED is lit red, and the HDD activity light is always on.
Using RC Poster, I see the message "CPU Initial".
I have confirmed that the cpu is getting voltage, although I'm getting 3 ohms at 2.5 volts on my mulitmeter (is this ok?) - it's a 700W PSU.
This all started when I installed my brand-new GTX 580 FTW Hydro Copper II and watercooling system. No, it's not from water spilling on anything - I was very careful. I've tried running it with all the old hardware (XFX HD 5770 and Hyper 212+), but that didn't fix it. Bench-testing it with only mobo, RAM, CPU, and power still didn't resolve it. No matter what component I remove, I get no error beeps from the internal speaker. I've flashed the BIOS, cleared the CMOS, but nothing is working. I RMA'd the board, still not working, so I believe it is the CPU itself that actually died - my question is why??
Anyways, is there anything I've missed before I ship off the CPU? I'd hate to have to suffer through another week without my main rig...
2 REPLIES 2

Raja
Level 13
maestr0 wrote:

I have confirmed that the cpu is getting voltage, although I'm getting 3 ohms at 2.5 volts on my mulitmeter (is this ok?) - it's a 700W PSU.

Where are you measuring this voltage from - the onboard measurement points near the DIMM slots? If your CPU really has seen 2.5 Vcore it is almost certainly dead.

Retired
Not applicable
Yeah, the ProbeIt area by the DIMMs - CPU_PLL. I was afraid it was the CPU - but I'm not saying it has a vcore of 2.5V, on the multimeter (it's really old) I set it to 2.5V mode (my options were 0.25V, 2.5V, 10V, and 50V) and the needle points to 3 Ohms. I'm not sure how to interpret this number.
Also note I was not overclocking, it was running at the stock voltage when it failed.