cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cd/dvd drive problem

alainberni
Level 7
I just bought a new game and try to install it through CD/DVD Drive but it won't read it. I really don't know what's the problem. I also tried to install CD/DVD printer it also fails to read it..
10 REPLIES 10

cl-scott
Level 12
Do you get any kind of errors, or basically you put the disc in the drive, expect to happen, but happens instead... What would be the something else?

dstrakele
Level 14
You didn't mention which ASUS model laptop you own and for how long?

Check out this thread: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?12506-slimtype-bd-e-ds4e1s-WILL-NOT-READ-ANY-MEDIA. I'd try the UpperFilters/LowerFilters registry edit first - there's a link to it in that thread.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Yea, Ahm.... I just wait and nothing happens.. Btw I got G75 BBK5

cl-scott
Level 12
Are you aware that for security reasons Microsoft killed off auto-play on optical drives? You now have to manually go in and open optical discs, just like the olden days... Sometime just after walking 15 miles, uphill, in the snow, barefoot, both ways, every day to school.

dstrakele
Level 14
If the UpperFilters/LowerFilters registry edit and cleaning the laser lenses fails, I'd go to Best Buy and see if you can exchange the laptop for a new one.

Uhm, I really don't know what's the problem because this is the first time I'm going to use my optical drive. Do you think BestBuy will replace it? Coz I purchased this one last Aug 2. It's been past a month already.

dstrakele
Level 14
Is anything displayed in Windows Explorer under the optical drive?

Yeah, nothing is displayed. Already tried that regedit, but Upperfilters and Lowerfilters don't appear there. I'll try to go to BestBuy.

dstrakele
Level 14
It's worthwhile to go to Best Buy and talk to them. I've read a thread where they bent the rules and allowed an exchange after a month had already passed.

There's a lesson here - Fully test your laptop while you're still in the retailer's exchange/return period.