cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tips & Warnings when Building a Gaming Computer

Retired
Not applicable
Hey everybody here is some tips and warnings I found on the internet, I didnt know about this stuff but I thought I might share it here.

TIPS & WARNINGS:

1: Refer to your manuals throughout the building process for specific instructions on how to
connect components.

2: Always ground yourself on an unpainted portion of the computer chassis, or put on an anti-static
wrist strap, before installing any computer component.

3: Hold all cards by their edges and take care that you do not touch any metal part of the cards.

4: Avoid allowing screws or screwdrivers to come in contact with any computer component.

5: Keep magnetic devices away from the computer components.

6: Work on a table over a surface without carpet.
17 REPLIES 17

saipan
Level 8
i dont worry about the grounding. i would add a magnetic screwdriver as essential tool. i like 3 and 6.
| CM HAF X | i5 3750k | EVGA 770 ACX | ASUS Sabertooth Z77 MB | OCZ Vertex 4 120GB |
| WD 1TB Sata3 Caviar Black | Antec HC 850 | Creative Recon 3D
|Creative G500 5.1 | Razer Abyssus

Retired
Not applicable
Well, if grounding via case.. be sure to have the psu installed , and the power-cord in the wall.. if not, you wont be grounded..

Good points, @Diego_510, mind if I merge this thread and How to Build your own Gaming Computer? They go well together. 🙂
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

Menthol
Level 14
All good tips but I follow only #1, I saw a show on TV once where they tested the static electricity on pc components during installation by rubbing their feet on carpet, hands and a ram module on a balloon and their hair and the only thing that destroyed the ram module was one of those 40,000 volt shocker guns. I believe it was G4 TV or something. Anyway I'm not to concerned and have never damaged any component with static.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Number two is the single biggest killer of hardware. Most folks do not realise just how fatal static is to hardware. Oh it might not fail immediately but the damage is done.

During my time in manufacture we did a QC exercise. One of 8 production lines ran with out any static protection work-ware for three weeks. This was a random and different production line each day. Serials were recorded and an astounding 56% increase in RMA's within a two year period from those select batches. From that day on I wear a anti-static wrist band.

Edit : Predictive text is a pain.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Zka17
Level 16
Wow, that is convincing, HiVizMan! I was/I'm wearing such wrist straps whenever I have touch components... I started doing that because I've read somewhere... - but now I have confirmation on their benefit! :cool:

If I may, I would just add the anti-static mats while building... specially for the mobo... I have seen multiple times in this Forum that people are/or not using the wrist bands, they're working on a cool desk - but they place the mobo over different metallic parts! Use the cardboard box the mobo came in or the anti-static bags from different parts instead!

danjw
Level 10
You didn't mention thermal interface material. You need to make sure when you apply it that both surfaces are clean and that you apply it properly. Too little is much better then too much! Make sure you look for instructions on how to apply it properly.

DaemonCantor
Level 13
Good Advice Diego_510! for general things... I can only add to this list of information as:

2) Please listen to X Pack in post #3 he is correct in just Plug the PSU into the wall but keep it turned off because simply no matter what the Ground is always connected. Plus it's a good Idea to always install the PSU First on any Build. Zka17, All of that isn't needed UNLESS your following Governmental ESDi Safety Precautions, but just touching the PSU or any portion of the system that isn't Painted will discharge Static Electricity.

3) Another thing to keep in mind is no it's not wrong to touch the Metal Parts on the Cards and such just remember before you do Discharge you Static.... Like HiVizMan pointed out you can easily damage any Electronics with Static and not know it!

5) this is Useless topic Sorry because the only things that a Magnetic Screwdriver will harm is You if you get stabbed By it or the Part you Stab with it...Hard Drives have many Magnets in them called a Motor, Heads, and such...OH BTW so do Cd Drives BD Drive and even DVD Drives....Just don't go slapping a Space Shuttle Docking Magnet to the side of your case and you'll be fine!

6) There is a Special Carpet used for an Electronics Bench that is ESDi Safe and comes with a Full Grounding setup! Cost around $200 USD per Sq Foot.... Any other carpet will KILL your parts...Grass Included and yes even the kind you smoke!

And the final point to add is in Post #8 by danjw! he is very correct to add this to the list! good Points all

DaemonCantor wrote:
Zka17, All of that isn't needed UNLESS your following Governmental ESDi Safety Precautions, but just touching the PSU or any portion of the system that isn't Painted will discharge Static Electricity.

While I agree that this isn't needed for static, maybe not a bad idea in general? How many times have we heard of people bench testing on a conductive surface or installing in a case without stand-offs? People (especially newbies) need a healthy respect for parts because so many things can go wrong. Working on a clean non-conductive surface just seems like a good idea for the general protection of parts, IMHO.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…