cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Calibrate your laptop smart battery.

GottiBoi55
Level 10
How to Calibrate your laptop smart battery.

Hope this procedure will help you with keeping up your battery health.

1. Plug the AC adapter into an electrical outlet and connect it to your laptop until battery is fully charged.
2. Once the battery is 100% charged click Start button, and then click Control Panel.
3. Click Power Options, and then create new power plan by clicking Create a power plan.
4. Create new plan name such as Calibrate Battery, and then click Next.
5. Select the Never On battery value for Turn off the display, and Put the computer to sleep and then click Create.
(This will prevent your notebook from turning off the display and entering Sleep mode to drain battery faster.)
6. Next unplug AC adapter.
7. Select MP3 file with a bit rate of 128 kbps.
8. Set WMP to repeat mode and start the MP3 file, and let the file run.
(make sure volume is all the way down)
9. Allow the battery to discharge completely until the laptop turns off.
10. Plug in the AC adapter and restart your laptop, and charge battery fully.

This procedure should be done once a month to keep battery health up.

Good luck, and enjoy!

Edit: thread name, should have been "smart battery calibration".

Sorry for the confusion
GottiBoi55
Asus
G750JZ-DS71 Windows 10 Pro (x64)
Intel® Core™ i7 4700HQ (2.40GHz)
Samsung
24GB Memory DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM
SanDisk
M.2 SSD 2x128GB in Raid 0 / WD-HGST-1TB HDD 7500-RPM
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 880M 4 GB GDDR5 VRAM
Second Monitor: Shar
p Aquos 32"
8 REPLIES 8

cl-scott
Level 12
Battery calibration is something of an anachronism. It really hasn't been necessary for a long time. All you really need to do these days is charge it when it's low, dispose of the battery when it fails, the end.

And just so you don't mistake my meaning... Feel free to post things like this if you think there helpful, but if they happen to be part of the large quantities of outmoded "advice" floating around out there, someone may point it out. So, don't take it personally, just take it as an opportunity to learn something new.

It was necessary with the old "dumb" batteries and the nimh/nicads. Modern lithium batteries do smart charging, which eliminates the need for calibration.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

What is Smart Battery Calibration?

Repeated short discharges and recharges cause increasing inaccuracy between the state-of-charge of the battery and the Power Meter readings. Periodically, the battery needs to be calibrated to "relearn" its usable capacity so it can synchronize its charge status with the Power Meter. The calibration procedure maximizes the notebook run time by giving the user an accurate estimate of the remaining battery charge. Calibration also prevents data loss that can occur during the Hibernation process if sufficient power is not available to complete critical save-to-disk operations.

Smart Batteries calibrate their FCC each time they undergo a full discharge-charge cycle, whether they are recharged in the notebook or in a stand-alone charger/conditioner. Calibration using the notebook is less convenient because it can take up to 4 hours; however, it can lead to more relevant results than using a stand-alone charger.
Calibration results using the notebook are more relevant because the battery relearns its FCC while undergoing a realistic power load. In a stand-alone charger, the battery is discharged using a fixed load. If the fixed load is less than the load typically experienced by the notebook, the learned capacity of the battery may be higher than its actual capacity. In other words, the newly calibrated battery may not deliver the run time predicted by the Power Meter if it is subjected to a greater load than the load used to calibrate the battery.
The accuracy of today’s Smart Battery enables precise calibration when the battery is discharged to about 5% of its remaining capacity. Consequently, the user can set the battery alarm at 5% of remaining capacity so that the Smart Battery will calibrate its capacity during normal use.
The user simply has to periodically discharge the battery until the 5% capacity alarm is received. The need to perform this procedure will vary with individual use. In general, a Li-Ion battery should be calibrated a minimum of once every 3 months. A battery that is seldom discharged completely should be calibrated about once a month.

Hope this will make things little more clear on "smart battery calibration"
GottiBoi55
Asus
Samsung
SanDisk
p Aquos 32"

Zygomorphic wrote:
It was necessary with the old "dumb" batteries and the nimh/nicads. Modern lithium batteries do smart charging, which eliminates the need for calibration.

I dont think that Asus improved the old "dumb" batteries.
I got a new Asus G751JM and replaced its battery 2 time for 2 years.
Now its seem dead again.

The reason for "cycling" Ni-Cds at higher current levels was to prevent the formation of dendrites, that could form shorts within the cells.  IIRC, much of the myth surrounding Ni-Cds, came out of reports from NASA who were charging and discharging the cells in a very specific manner. I understand that they withdrew the claims of battery "memory" although the idea remains. The capacity of LiPos, has little to do with the charging method, although one can destroy the cells by "mischarging", they can however only stand so many charge cycles. This will be stipulated by the manufacturers.  A cycle usually means returned to a full charge, not a top-up. Li-pos will also happily discharge themselves if stored with a high charge. Very annoying!

I should add that the "smart Charging" simply means that currents are maintained as a % of C more often than not, not more than 1C, and cells are maintained within a few millivolts of each other to prevent discharges in compound batteries, which could lead to high current flow and thermal runaway.  Look out jumbo jet!

@cl-scott  Don't take it personally, but  this is not the same thing at all. Calibration enables the system  to understand what a full charge is! Li-Po batteries lose their ability to take a full charge over time - this has nothing to do with the erroneous Ni-Cd battery memory.  By timing  how long it takes a battery to discharge, while measuring current, one (the laptop) can establish how much energy a "full charge" contains and so can then give a meaningful indication of the amount of power available. One can do this to some degree, by matching the voltage slope (knowing current) and compare it to an ideal battery.
You will note that some systems have a dedicated battery calibration function.
One agrees that their is a lot of regurgitated nonsense out there!

c_man
Level 11
BatteryBar constantly monitors the status of your battery as you use your laptop. As it monitors your battery, it keeps historical data on your battery and provide you with a very accurate estimate of how much time is remaining on your battery.

I just use this http://osirisdevelopment.com/BatteryBar/

It does a good job on all the laptops so far.

c_man wrote:
BatteryBar constantly monitors the status of your battery as you use your laptop. As it monitors your battery, it keeps historical data on your battery and provide you with a very accurate estimate of how much time is remaining on your battery.

I just use this http://osirisdevelopment.com/BatteryBar/

It does a good job on all the laptops so far.

Thanks for your input, that looks like a sweet little battery meter app.
GottiBoi55
Asus
Samsung
SanDisk
p Aquos 32"