cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project: CPU STINGRAY

MonsterMawd
Level 12
The now hard to find, CF-1009 Midtower by AMS Electronics. remains my all time favorite. Its the most durable construction for an aluminum case I've seen to date. You can easily remove the 2 piece acrylic bezel and plate for cutting fan holes. LED and PWR/RESET buttons are screwed in versus glued. The HD cage is removable. You can modify it so you have, Front and Rear 120 fans. It's painted aluminum, not anodized so less prep work painting. I would still chose this case over any Lian Li. It's simplistic plain jane design makes a great canvas for mods. Tom's Hardware review of midtower version, CF1006

Sadly though, I'd be surprised if you could find this case anymore...

16 REPLIES 16

xeromist
So you were saving the last one in captivity for a rainy day? 🙂
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

It is a Rainy Day 🙂

Custom (4" rise) cowl induction hood on 1999 Corvette

1972 Corvette Stingray

"Vette-style" hood w/ high rise cowl induction. This will be covered with fiberglass filler. It will cover the lower portion of the front bezel. It will attach w/ it's nose downward, via 4 hood pins... so its easily removable. The cowl portion will have a intake grill made from Modders Mesh.

22 gauge galvanized steel.

Filled crevices with 3M ScotchWeld DP-190. Let it cure for 24 hours.

1/16th sheet of styrene plastic. Holding over heatgun to form over intake bezel frame

Using DP-190 again to attach hood cowl onto styrene

Evercoat's EVERGLASS Fiberglass filler

Within 15 -30 mins, Everglass is ready for sanding. Here I'm using a Black & Decker Mouse sander with corse grit paper

After sanding the first coat, I laid the hood against the bezel and noticed the styrene had warped on the right side. I resanded it, then placed 3, 1 gallon paint cans on the hood as the filler cured for 24 hours. Yes, the cans were FULL :shock: Evercoat's EVERGLASS has awesome strength!

I'm going to touch up these spots in another hour

xeromist
LOL@paint cans
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Powdercoated Chassis. Candy Apple Red powdercoat

trim for the 5.25 bay I cut from a pre-made rigid sheet of CF.

Bulgin Vandal Resistant Illuminated Switch - Red Ring MPI002R performance-pcs

Added 1.5" washer and drilled a 3/4" hole in center to fit over the switch and make it appear larger. I then covered the switch and washer w/ masking tape, then cut along the outside edge of the light ring w/ exacto knife. So now you have inner push button portion covered with tape... I then sanded the exposed alum w/ 400 grit sandpaper. Then applied Metalcast Red, then after 24hrs, a laquer clearcoat. The clearcoat is crucial, cause Metalcast chips very easily

I'll be mounting the Black Ice Extreme III in the top panel, so the dual 80mm exhaust should really help pull out warm air above the PSU. I really wanted to jazz up the dual 80mm exhaust. I've seen people mount tail pipes on cases.. Since thats already been done, I designed this billet aluminum accent plate. The 80mm AOC fans have milled aluminum frames with plastic chrome blades. I hate the white colored hubs and know others feel the same, so I covered them with carbon fiber vinyl film ...plays off the bezel trim as well.

The fan holes were finished with u-channel molding and fan mounting grommets that help elminate fan vibration.

I used Honeycomb Modders Mesh for the grill behind the aluminum accent plate

PC Power & Cooling Turbo Cool 850 Ultra SSI, 950W peak power. Measures 5.9" x 3.4" x 9.0"

Sleeved with these new PSU Tools

http://www.mnpctech.com/ATX_Molex_Removal_Tools.html

"Will it fit Captain?!"

Pmadison
Level 7
Looking brilliant!

Thank you!

I love Kandy Apple Red, esp on a Street Rod....

We had painted a Corsair 800D the same color last year for HWC

MonsterMawd
Level 12
Using 5.5" mikuni carb filter covers, mock them up to look like 427 chrome filter covers... Looks like dual V8s lying beneath our bezel. GM' cross-fire-injection V8s

I went over the 4-3/4" diameter... oh well, even better airflow in my book

I'm morphing the Corvette 427 decal/AMD FX logo into a new filter decal

Anodized Red pop rivets I scored from friend who used to sell the, unfortunately he doesn't anymore....

I may have replace the #8 size butterfly nuts with #6s to clear the hood. I'm allowing the hood paint to cure for couple days before I handle it.

Its just like setting the idle adjustment on carbs, set them, shut the hood and Go! 😄

The hood will be held on with R/C body mount kit from anodized red hood pins

Drilling mounting holes for hood pin mounts

5.25 Bay res from DangerDen

Hood is buffed... and ready for action...

Download AVI @ 440K

Jewerly box support hinge from Rockler

Modified... of course

Da big case badge!

Corvette C5 emblem. I modified the emblem a tad and raised it with 1" backing made from wood, then covered with spot putty, painted, then carbon fiber vinyl.

More "in your face" look I wanted.

The ring never turned my crank much <_<

1" thick pine (backing)

Spot putty, then paint