cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G73SW - freeze/spikes

Retired
Not applicable
Hi, i bought a G73SW(i7-2630QM 2ghz, 6gb ram, gtx 460m 1.5gb, seagate momentus XT 500gb) this week and I've been having alot of 1-3 sec freezes/spikes while playing.
I've updated all drivers as far as i know and reinstalled the OS but still have the problem.
It did seem to get a little bit better when i updated the HDD drivers to SD-25 but it's hard to tell.
It's unplayable as it is right now.
Sometimes it goes a few minutes between each freeze and sometimes it happens several times per minute.

Thanks. Matt.
7 REPLIES 7

WoShiDuck
Level 7
pkoo wrote:
Hi, i bought a G73SW(i7-2630QM 2ghz, 6gb ram, gtx 460m 1.5gb, seagate momentus XT 500gb) this week and I've been having alot of 1-3 sec freezes/spikes while playing.
I've updated all drivers as far as i know and reinstalled the OS but still have the problem.
It did seem to get a little bit better when i updated the HDD drivers to SD-25 but it's hard to tell.
It's unplayable as it is right now.
Sometimes it goes a few minutes between each freeze and sometimes it happens several times per minute.

Thanks. Matt.

which game are u playing? online or offline games?
It is not out of pride that i do not surrender, I do not surrender therefore i am proud - Hibari Kyoya

Retired
Not applicable
I had this as well. till i went to Asus and got the updated forceware for the GPU

Retired
Not applicable
WoShiDuck wrote:
which game are u playing? online or offline games?

Happens in both online and offline games.
I'm fairly sure it's the HDD though. I've been testing with running games from my extrernal HDD and didn't have any sort of lag/spike. Guess i got a broken one.

Retired
Not applicable
I am have sort of the same issue. I have just bought a brand new G73SW (one of the X models) for the 3rd time alreadfy after returning the other 2. This is my last ditch effort with asus then I am returning it again to never use another laptop. I have played both offline and online games. I see major momentary screen freezes in WoW. Borderlands the other game I really have run it on has maybe a hiccup here and there but no where near as bad as WoW. I am major MMO player and I would like to have this latop work on the go, does anyone have any idea about how to fix this?

Retired
Not applicable
Mine was at random.

At max settings, games would freeze around 5-10 minutes.
At medium settings and AA turned off, they freeze in about an hour...

Games tested :
- Street Fighter IV Benchmark took
- Super Street Fighter IV Arcade
- Sims 3
- Dragon Age Origins
- Elder Scrolls IV Obilivion

I haven't tried reinstalling it on a fresh HDD yet as I don't have a spare sata disk to test it on...
Anyone tried it on a normal SATA HDD?

Retired
Not applicable
Pkoo, did you ever get this issue resolved? I am having what sounds like the exact issue you did.

Retired
Not applicable
hello, to all that are reading this thread and have not resolved their issues please see this thread as i am quite sure it will fix any issues you all may be having during gameplay.

http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?3322-Sandybridge-Throttle-Issue-and-Workaround