cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus 53S Won't Turn On

shiron236
Level 7
This has been happening for a month or so now, and I've been able to tolerate it, but it's becoming more and more frequent. It takes me a hour or more just to get my laptop to work by repeatedly turning it on and off or resetting it by pressing down on my power button for more than 30 seconds and etc.

I'm pretty sure it's not the magnet problem because my computer while sleeping (The laptop is open, not closed) won't turn on. So I have to turn the computer off again and try to turn it back on again. After I do successfully turn on, the BIOS screen tells me that some hardware had failed and the computer's start up had failed earlier. Of course, I don't know if the screen was just black and the computer was still running because my computer sounds are always on mute and I usually use my headset which only work when the computer is fully on.

Can anyone give me some help on this?
16 REPLIES 16

dstrakele
Level 14
The "boot to black screen" issue as you describe it is most likely a hardware issue. The prognosis is not good.

The exact text of the BIOS screen message may be helpful.

If you attach your laptop to an external monitor or HDTV, do you see video on startup?
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

dstrakele wrote:
The "boot to black screen" issue as you describe it is most likely a hardware issue. The prognosis is not good.

The exact text of the BIOS screen message may be helpful.

If you attach your laptop to an external monitor or HDTV, do you see video on startup?

It depends. When the computer does start up properly, it does on an external monitor. If it doesn't work, no unfortunately.

I can't get you the exact text yet but I can later when my laptop acts up again.

dstrakele
Level 14
Here's a similar thread you can read in the meantime: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?11968-G73JH-Black-screen-(&country=&status=
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

dstrakele wrote:
Here's a similar thread you can read in the meantime: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?11968-G73JH-Black-screen-(&country=&status=

I already read it before making this thread but thanks anyways! Also, my laptop did it again. I guess it's good because I can find the exact text now. I went to go grab some lunch and I suspect it went to sleep and it won't wake up from sleeping or at least the screen shows up as black if it is awake. Well, it's going to take a while before my laptop works again, assuming it does 😞

Took me forever to get it working but I got it to turn on again after repeatedly turning it on and off.

Here's the message I got:

"Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. If Windows files have been damaged or configured incorrectly, startup repair can help diagnose and fix the problem. If power was interrupted during startup, choose start Windows Normally."

End message.

I did startup repair once but all it prompted me was that I should go back to a checkpoint before the problem happened which I promptly declined. In the end, it said that the repairing couldn't be done this way or whatever. I don't remember exactly.

Also, the message may have come up because I occasionally pulled the power plug off of the laptop (This was when I removed the batteries) to test something. I'm not exactly sure if the nature of message resulted from my interference or if it's from a software problem. I'll be honest though. This message didn't show up before until a week or so ago, so maybe the message resulted because I kept pulling the plug during startup. Either ways though, my laptop always booted to black screen before this incident.

cl-scott
Level 12
I can only hope for your sake this unit is still under warranty somehow, because this sounds like a classic case of bad caps, and that means motherboard replacement.

http://www.badcaps.net/pages.php?vid=5

If you're good with a soldering iron, or know someone who is, you could try taking one of the caps down to a Radio Shack to get a few replacements for a cheap fix. However, there's a not insignificant chance of doing even more damage to the unit this way if you're not careful.

cl-scott wrote:
I can only hope for your sake this unit is still under warranty somehow, because this sounds like a classic case of bad caps, and that means motherboard replacement.

http://www.badcaps.net/pages.php?vid=5

If you're good with a soldering iron, or know someone who is, you could try taking one of the caps down to a Radio Shack to get a few replacements for a cheap fix. However, there's a not insignificant chance of doing even more damage to the unit this way if you're not careful.

How do you know if it's still under warranty? I got it like around this May or April.

cl-scott
Level 12
Well, if you bought it as a refurb you may be out of luck, but if you bought it new during the April/May time frame, you should be under the standard 1-year warranty.

Hi everyone,
I have a similar problem which I posted here http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?23462-G53SX-Will-not-finish-POST.-Intermittent-problem.&p=1... and I am still under warranty. To summarize, my laptop has a problem where it will not finish the post sequence. I have already sent the laptop in to Asus for warranty service and it still has this problem. This is probably due to the laptop powering up after being fully discharged in transit to the service center. They probably powered it on and it worked well as it did for me.

My question, how can I ensure the service technician will open the case and do a physical inspection of the laptop even though it might appear to work? I could do the work myself as I have replaced hundreds of motherboards in desktops and laptops throughout the years, but I doubt they will let me do that... if i should call the service center again and get another RMA, if I write on the repair form that I suspect faulty capacitors, will they replace the affected boards?