cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Marvell RAID problems on a Maximus IV Extreme Z

Janko
Level 7
I recently purchased two new 1 TB HDDs that I would like to put in a RAID 1.
I get them installed, no problem. The drives are recognized and formatted, and good to use for anything. However, whenever I try to enter the Marvell Utility (by pressing +M during post), nothing happens. Windows just continues to load. I have both drives plugged into the two Marvell slots. I have the Marvell controller set to RAId in BIOS. I just cannot get into the utility to actually initialize the RAID.

I am really new to all of this stuff, so I do not know how to check what BIOs version I am running, how to update it if that's what I need to do, so I would appreciate some patience in this issue. Thank you in advance for any replies.
8 REPLIES 8

bikeman
Level 7
Maximus IV Extreme-z Marvell chip does not support RAID function, intel chip support.
You can refer to the manual page 4-21, there to teach you how to set up.

Janko
Level 7
Page 4-21 specifically states: "The motherboard supports the following SATA RAID solutions:

Intel RST with RAID 0, 1, 10 and 5.

Marvell RAID Utility with RAID 0, 1 support.

Reading the rest of that chapter, I have done exactly what it says in order to set up a Marvell RAID solution. What I mentioned in the first post is what always happens. Furthermore, when I have tried to use the Intel controllers for my RAID, I get caught in a bluescreen loop every time I set the SATA mode to RAID in BIOS.

Hi, is the Marvell controller "enabled" in the bios,just a thought....And are the 2 HDD's listed in the "Hard Drive BBS Priorities section.??
ASUS CROSSHAIR V FORMULA-Z
AMD FX 8350 (1252)
INTEL CORE I7 2600K (3134A867)
ASUS MAXIMUS IV EXTREME-Z (0002)

OCZ VERTEX 3 120 SSD
GIGABYTE 890FXA UD7 REV 2.1 (F3)
GIGABYTE 890FXA UD7 REV 2.0 (F3)
VARIOUS AMD CPU's
8 GIG G-SKILL SNIPER LOW VOLTAGE 1600
4 GIG G-SKILL RIPJAWS X 2133 C9
8 GIG CORSAIR VENGEANCE 1600 C8 (HYNIX)
CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 800D
CORSAIR HX1000W PSU
2X RADEON HD6970'S XFIRE
4X SAMSUNG F3 1T HDD's 2X RAID 0
CUSTOM WATERCOOLING

moorhen2 wrote:
Hi, is the Marvell controller "enabled" in the bios,just a thought....And are the 2 HDD's listed in the "Hard Drive BBS Priorities section.??

The Marvell controller is enabled yes, however, I do not know how to check if thee hard drives are listed. I will tool around in BIOS and see if I can find what you mean.

Praz
Level 13
Janko wrote:
However, whenever I try to enter the Marvell Utility (by pressing +M during post), nothing happens.

Is this a typo? You should be pressing the "CTRL" and the "M" keys at the same time.

Praz wrote:
Is this a typo? You should be pressing the "CTRL" and the "M" keys at the same time.

Yes. Typo. When I press CTRL+M during post, I get nothing.

Gah. double post

naturlig-canuck
Level 7
Anybody have a solution for this? I am in the exact same position now.