cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I overwrite or get rid of Intel RST drivers?

Billy777
Level 7
Intel Rapid Storage Technology drivers are giving me a rough time. I've had several reboots pointing to iaStorF.sys and iaStorA.sys. iaStorF.sys won't even pass the MS SDK Verifer.exe tool (driver stress test) without BSOD).

See screenshot.

I guess there's a remote possible that the driver is corrupt so overwriting them would be nice, but Intel won't let you uninstall them and the ASUS Intel RST installer just runs for 5 seconds before saying it's done leading me to believe it won't install if it's already there.

I don't need RAID but I do need AHCI - I heard that the Microsoft AHCI drivers are good, is there any way to install these????

Mushkin Enhanced Redline 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Model 994056
CORSAIR H100 (CWCH100) Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
Sandisk ReadyCache ISO 32GB 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive (SSD) - SDSSDRC-032G-G26
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit – OEM
Corsair Professional Series Gold AX750 - CMPSU-750AX- Power Supply
21 REPLIES 21

scotland21
Level 9
Which driver version are you running?
You say you don't need raid so I assume you are not running raid.
If so all you need to do is uninstall the intel rst drivers and reboot, windows will install it's own AHCI drivers.
On reboot go into device manager and confirm.
G.Skill 16GB (4x 4GB) Quad Channel Ripjaws Z Series Memory Kit PC3-19200 CL10-12-12-31
CM Storm Stryker \ Rampage IV Formula BF3 edition \ SickleFlow 120 Green LED \ WIN7 PRO X64
SanDisk SDSSDX-120G-G25 SATA III \ OCZ Solid 3 120GB SATA III SSD \ RAID0
Mushkin Chronos 60GB SATA III SSD \ OCZ Agility 3 60GB SATA III SSD \ 2 x EVGA 660TI 2048MB SLI

Nodens
Level 16
Yes you can do what scotland21 suggested. You should be able to uninstall them by uninstalling the RSTe. Have in mind the Microsoft driver is a basic functionality one. No platform optimizations/fixes/etc are included.
If that doesn't work I'll guide you through a manual way of uninstalling. But indeed what driver version are you running? And do check your SSD's for latest firmware.
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

HalloweenWeed
Level 12
Billy are you OCd? If so, what are your sys specs, and your OC? Water cooled or otherwise? Did you know that when your OC is unstable it could throw just about any BSOD message, and the prob is not nessarily the thing shown in the BSOD message? Also, if you installed anything while your system was unstable, due to OC or memory settings, those drivers may be corrupt - not due to driver defect, but due to memory issues. This is why we always install Windows and the initial drivers with our computers at stock speeds, and only after passing Memtest+ v4.20.
i7-3930K; Asus RIVE; G.SKILL Ripjaws Z 4x4GB DDR3 1866; MSI 7870 2GD5/OC; Crucial M4 SSD 256GB;
Corsair 1000HX; Corsair H100, 4x Excalibur 120mm PWM CPU Fan p-p, AS5; SB X-Fi Titanium Fata1ity Pro;
Dell U2412m IPS 1920x1200; Cooler Master HAF 932 case; Tripp-Lite OMNIVS1500 UPS fully Line-interactive.
(EVGA site: ) And I have a second (wife's) computer, Eve.

Overclocking is useless to me if it is not rock stable.

m_oreilly
Level 7
hallow has a good point here. i also got this message, along with a few others at odd times. turns out i just needed to raise my vcore by .05. no more weird bsod.
Asus Rampage IV GENE
i7 3930k @ 4.8 24/7
custom loop
16 gigs Trident X
HIS HD7970
2x OCZ Vector 256gb raid0 via UEFI
Crossover 27Q
Win8 pro

Ran into the same issue as well- Intel RSTe 3.2.xx drivers are a joke. You need to head into the Device Manager after uninstalling the RSTe software and manually remove the driver from your computer (check the box that says 'Delete the driver software for this device'). Restart your computer.

If you want the most out of your storage devices- download the 11.6.xx RST (non 'e') drivers from the Intel site and install them manually. It should come in a zip file with no installer/additional rubbish. Head into the Device Manager, find the default Microsoft AHCI controller (under IDE/ATAPI controllers), then select 'update device driver' and point Windows at the directory you've unzipped the drivers to.

Alternatively, you can use the RSTe 3.1.xx drivers (available on Intel website as well)- however these do not support S.M.A.R.T. monitoring from within the OS.

The 11.6.xx and 3.1.xx drivers are completely stable.

-EDIT-

Sorry, just read the last post where you said raising your vcore restored stability. Still- if you ever run into another BSOD- remove those drivers fast. A massive number of people have run into problem with them.

Hello all,

I have been reading this forum ever since I clicked the order button for my RIVE. I must say this is an amazing knowledge base, and I have learned tons already.

Anyway, on to my situation. I am not trying to take over the thread, but my issues are so similar, I figured that I would spare an extra thread and post my problem here. Ever since I finished my new build, I am receiving sporadic BSOD's during gaming. I have a second monitor that I use solely for temperature monitoring so I have been able to rule this out as an issue. I am doing no overclocking, unless you count setting the XMP profile to bring my RAM to spec (1866 Mhz no oc). Most BSOD's point to storport.sys as the cause, though occasionally I receive a BSOD with iaStorA.sys as a cause. I cannot remember which RST driver that I installed the first time around, but in another thread, I saw where someone recommended the RSTe 3.5.0.1101 driver set. Out of fear that I possibly installed drivers with known compatibility issues, I wiped my drives and did a clean install of windows 7 using the RSTe 3.5.0.1101 drivers. I only installed the bare-bones as far as drivers to try and limit causes of BSOD's if I did have any. I only installed the chipset drivers, RAID drivers, LAN drivers, sound card drivers, and video card drivers. After, 6 hours of gaming, I received the dreaded BSOD, with storport.sys as the culprit. There are also 2 SATA ports that do not show up in my BIOS. I have tried, resetting the CMOS, pulling the battery, and the BIOS is fully updated. Whenever I plug anything into them, the do not show up in the BIOS. I am at a loss here. I am beginning to wonder if my board is bad. Is there any suggestions that you all have for me? If this board is bad, I need to get it returned before the return period expires. Thanks in advance for any help that you all could offer.

System specs:
Core i7 3820-@stock
16gb GSkill Ripjaws @ 1866
3x 80gb Intel 320 series SSD's in RAID 0
EVGA Geforce GTX 590
Creative Soundblaster Recon 3D Fatality Professional
Seasonic Xseries 1250W

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Best way to remove RST drivers and revert to the MSAHCI ones is as simple as this.

Reboot and hit F8 before Windows screen loads up, boot into Safe Mode. When in Safe Mode, uninstall the RST drivers and then reboot. Load Windows normally and from there it should restore to using the MSAHCI drivers 🙂

Nodens
Level 16
Meinblut, by using the XMP profile you are actually overclocking your RAM. Try running the RAM at default and see if it still happens. Also try running Memrest86 on the modules.
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

11.6 have issues building RAID arrays on some setups. Best avoided if you need them for that. They failed our internal validation. Intel knows so will update at some point. In the meantime the drivers on the ASUS page are recommended.