cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to ROG -- First Build -- Help a Newcomer :D -- UPDATED WITH BUILD PICS!

Racer_Of_All
Level 8
Pictures are up click here!

Original post follows:

Hey everyone,

I've been lurking these forums since I started researching ASUS ROG line. I've always used ASUS mobos and since I decided to go all out for my new build I decided to go with the top of the top to be set for a while. The product was amazing but seeing how great this community is is what really made me go through with the mobo. I'm looking forward to spending some time in these forums 😄

Anyway, down to business this is my build (I have bought everything but items *'d):
Case: Cooler Master HAF X Full Tower
Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Formula*
CPU: Intel i7 3770k Ivy Bridge X4
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14*
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 FTW
RAM: G.Skill Trident X 16GB @ 2400
PSU: Corsair 850HX 80 Plus Gold 850W
SSD: Intel 330 Series Maple Crest 120 GB — OS/Main Programs
HDD1: 1TB WD Caviar Black — Secondary Programs/Projects
HDD2: 1TB Hitachi GST Deskstar HD31000 — Media Drive
HDD3: 2TB WD Caviar Black — Game Repository

I got a lot of initial questions answered by these forums so that's great already but here are a few more I have some doubts about:

• The PSU I bought is recent. I got it before I decided I was going to put together this build (bought it alongside my GPU). After these purchases I'll be really tight on cash for a while so my question is -- how severely do I need to connect the secondary 4-pin connector on the mobo? I will do some overclocking but nothing too extreme.
  • I heard about the 'tape' trick with the cooler I'm getting so it does not short out the video card, would duct tape be good for that purpose? Otherwise what should I use?
  • This is just more of a 'confirmation' but can the Maximus V Extreme do voltage control for CPU fans? I'm asking because that will decide whether I get the regular NH-D14 with 3pin fans or get the NH-D14 SE2011 and then a mounting kit because it comes with 4pin fans for PWM support.

I'm sure a couple more things will come up as this thread progresses. xD
28 REPLIES 28

Zka17
Level 16
Welcome to the ROG Forum!

You have selected very nice components! :cool:

About your questions:
1.) It is always good to have all the power connectors populated on the mobo. The system won't draw more power anyway, just it will be more balanced at the level of the VRM... so, the 8-pin connector is mandatory, the 4-pin is up to you... - when OC'ing, you can try both ways to see if it improves stability (it should)...
2.) Duct tape will be just fine! The idea is to prevent shorts on the VGA, so practically anything non-conductive will be good enough...
3.) Not sure about this question... I did used the Noctua NH-D14 on the Maximus V Gene, and the CPU fan headers were just fine! I assume, it would be OK with the Maximus V Extreme too... - only thing you may have to do is to reduce the min rpm in BIOS to 400 instead of the original 600, otherwise you may end up with a CPU fan error...

Thanks Zka17 :cool:

The main reason I asked about the secondary 4pin is because the PSU I currently have only has the regular 8pin connector. It's a solid PSU and more than exceeds my needs at the moment and I don't plan on going SLI in the near future. If it's going to cause major system instability I don't have a problem with getting another PSU. But I'll take losing a .1 or .2 Ghz over spending big bucks on another one.

Zka17
Level 16
No problem, mate! Just build it and show us some pics of it... 🙂 maybe along with some performance data... 🙂

Definitely planning on doing that, I'll make myself take pics and run some benchmarks, usually I get lazy halfway through and lose my camera haha xD

Hey I also just realized I could convert one my extra PCIe outputs (this PSU has 6 PCIe connectors which is way too overkill for a 850W supply) to another 4 Pin through an adapter. Would this be safe though?

kkn
Level 14
IF you will, you can downgrade te mobo to the m5f, only difrence is LN2 ( extreeme overclocking ) and an extra pcie slot.
the extreeme is fo rthe real entusiast OC'er realy, the m5f is gamers whit an extra need and m5g is for gamers whit a normal need ( lets say max 2 screecards if wanted whit out enny other expansion optional )

chrsplmr
Level 18
Awesome .. Welcome to ROG..

Take a look at the storm trooper .. exactly the same size as the x .. but much more versatile..
just hands down better .. imho.. (the hafX is on my desk) last builds have been the trooper..
as will be the next.c.
http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/landing/trooper/home.php

kkn wrote:
IF you will, you can downgrade te mobo to the m5f, only difrence is LN2 ( extreeme overclocking ) and an extra pcie slot.
the extreeme is fo rthe real entusiast OC'er realy, the m5f is gamers whit an extra need and m5g is for gamers whit a normal need ( lets say max 2 screecards if wanted whit out enny other expansion optional )

Yes I've been considering this but I can't find any info about whether or not it works with the Noctua NH-D14 also the OC key seems awesome and all around seems more future proof. But at the same time the Formula has an awesome built in audio solution and some pretty sweet software for gaming. Argh why is this so hardd xD

chrsplmr wrote:
Awesome .. Welcome to ROG..

Take a look at the storm trooper .. exactly the same size as the x .. but much more versatile..
just hands down better .. imho.. (the hafX is on my desk) last builds have been the trooper..
as will be the next.c.

I wish I knew of that case before I purchased this one 😞 Haf X is still awesome though and I'll probably have it for a while but a buddy of mine needs help with building a rig too so I'll recommend him that one.

chrsplmr
Level 18
hahahaha...thats what i said when i first saw the trooper .. but there is enough room in the hafx to open a community center.
it would run great even
on a cardboard box... hahaha.c.

danjw
Level 10
Racer Of All wrote:
Hey everyone,

• The PSU I bought is recent. I got it before I decided I was going to put together this build (bought it alongside my GPU). After these purchases I'll be really tight on cash for a while so my question is -- how severely do I need to connect the secondary 4-pin connector on the mobo? I will do some overclocking but nothing too extreme.
  • I heard about the 'tape' trick with the cooler I'm getting so it does not short out the video card, would duct tape be good for that purpose? Otherwise what should I use?
  • This is just more of a 'confirmation' but can the Maximus V Extreme do voltage control for CPU fans? I'm asking because that will decide whether I get the regular NH-D14 with 3pin fans or get the NH-D14 SE2011 and then a mounting kit because it comes with 4pin fans for PWM support.

1. Yes, do fill all the power ports on the motherboard, you really do need to do this. Are you sure it didn't come with the cable? I just looked at a review and it suggest it has a split 4+4 for that connector. You can see the image here. They would clip together so you may have missed it.
2. I think electrical tape would be best, since that is specifically designed to be non-conductive.
3. Some have had issues with PWM fans on the other headers, but the CPU headers should work for both PWM and voltage control. At least that is my understanding.