cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with G73SW

Retired
Not applicable
okay guys I have been reading many of these forum posts trying to figure out an answer to my problem.. So far it looks like alot of people have the same problem I do, but no one has answered a real fix for it.
I just bought a Asus G73SW-XR1. The 8gig I7 2630Q Processor with Nvidia 460m. Not sure of the HDD at the moment. Now here is the problem I have bought and returned 2 of these things so far and I am kinda getting tired of even trying out a laptop. I have loaded a couple of games onto this things trying to test it out.
First off WoW.
I am getting 2 to 3 secs of momentary screen freeze where the screen locks up then goes back to normal and then repeats every couple of mins or so. I have both tried new graphic drivers and old graphic drivers, but nothing really helps.
2nd game is Borderlands (FPS)
Now I have played this for a couple of hours now I don't see the screen freeze like I do in WoW where it happens every couple of mins, but I see one maybe when its trying to load your strange guide vision(Might be Normal)
3rd game Is Starcraft 2
I have played this for a couple of hours and this game looks to hiccup everynow and then but not really screen freeze. If It did it did it once or twice.

Most of these game are played 1t 1920 by 1080 and on Ultra Settings
I don't really want to return the laptop again, I am trying to solve this problem if anyone has a fix or an idea about how to correct my problem I would love to hear it. I have heard that it might be the hard drive, but if that is correct then Asus has a lot of machines out there with bad hard drives doing this to alot of people. If you need any more info please let me know and I will try and post it as fast as I can.
15 REPLIES 15

Retired
Not applicable
Bump

First this happend to me about 3 weeks of owning my G73SW-3DE...about 1-2 sec freeze even on web browsing...

I recently replaced my Logitech Anywhere MX mice to a Logitech Performance MX...reinstalled drivers...

Im not seeing the issue anymore but I thought it was my Hard Drive trying to learn which to cache on the 4gb ssd...

but so far so good...

*knock on wood*
-ASUS ROG G73SW-3DE-
-Intel Core i7-2630QM Mobile Quad Processor
-Intel HM65 Express Chipset +ICH10
-17.3" 1920x1080 120Hz Anti-Glare Matte Screen
-nVidia GeForce GTX 460m 1.5GB GDDR5 VRAM
-nVidia 3D Vision Active Shutter Glasses
-Creative EAX Advanced HD 5.0
-THX TruStudio
-8GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM (Max 32GB)
-2x500 Seagate Momentous XT Hybrid HDD
-Blu-Ray 4x Burner
-Logitech Performance MX Darkfield Laser Mice
-Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

-XBOX360, PS3, Wii

Retired
Not applicable
Are you saying that maybe I should try a different mouse?. I am useing a microsoft laser mouse. I usually use a Razor but that is connected to my desktop right now? Was it a screen freeze or a mouse freeze, cause I am getting a screen freeze?Should I try Logitech Performance Mouse then?

jorlanm
Level 7
I think its a screen freeze...I noticed that it was doing it everytime it access my HDD...but for some wierd reason ever since I got a new mouse I havent seen it...

*knock on wood*
-ASUS ROG G73SW-3DE-
-THX TruStudio
-Blu-Ray 4x Burner

-XBOX360, PS3, Wii

Retired
Not applicable
I can try it, but I don;t understand why it help. I guess you never know. Thx for the top jorlam.
IF that does not work does anyelse have any insight?

jorlanm
Level 7
It could be the HDD too...or do a clean install for the Video Drivers...
-ASUS ROG G73SW-3DE-
-THX TruStudio
-Blu-Ray 4x Burner

-XBOX360, PS3, Wii

Retired
Not applicable
Okay this is the 3rd new laptop I got. I can't believe that all 3 had bad HDDS, but I guess it possible... If it is the HDD what do you suggest... Go to the store and buy a new HDD like maybe a SSD.. I guess I could try a clean install of video drivers after the mouse thing

Well if you think about most of us experienced the issue...and some of us it went a way... *knock on wood* ... hope it never comes back...

I think its more like a breakin period for the SW...I know that sounds wierd...but this issue seems to manifest itself when the SW's were just purchased brand new...

Im thinking is that the Seagate Momentous XT's has a lag between the HDD and the SSD the first few weeks you use it and just kinda compensates its self...
-ASUS ROG G73SW-3DE-
-THX TruStudio
-Blu-Ray 4x Burner

-XBOX360, PS3, Wii

Retired
Not applicable
If I am not mistaken I don't have the A1 model which has the seagate harddrives I will check when I get home, but I think I single hard drive.