cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

K53E not booting

tony_s
Level 7
Hi all any advice welcome on this problem.

My K53E is still under warrenty but ony a few weeks left, its just come back after a warrenty keboard repair after some keys stopped working.

When It come back I plugged in and started OK, I put it sleep and went out (dont think it was plugged in). Came home and it would not start. This has happened a couple of time now.

This morning it did it again, last night i put it to sleep and went to bed but forgot to plug the power in.

This morning it would not start, I tried to make a note of everything:

Instead of the HHD activating on pressing the power button the wifi & num lock lights lit up (battery light went out) for a few seconds, no noise or other activity then just returned to a dim power light and battery orange light.

Did this a few times and nothing, left it half an hour incase the battery was low (?? was on ac) but still nothing. pulled the battery tried again nothing.

Left it 30 seconds with no ac or battery Put battery back in nothing (when I keep saying nothing I mean nothing new, just like above, with wifi & num lock).

Next I held the power down for a while and released, then on next press it started normally & resumed from sleep with everything as I left it last night.

I checked the battery and it was showing 92% so it was not a low battery problem.

The laptop & power cord are in A1 condition and never leave the coffee table in the lounge, never taken out of the house.

I'm not sure is something has happened in transit back from Asus, I don't really want to send it off again as it takes so long but on the other hand if something is failing then I need to sort it before the warrenty ends.
8 REPLIES 8

cl-scott
Level 12
If the unit does not appear to have been fixed after an RMA, then you are completely within your rights to send it back.

This is turning into a nighmare. I returned the unit and now the repairers (letmerepair) are trying saying to say I have damaged my laptop with liquid.

It's only been faulty since it was returned by them last time, I'm not saying there is no liquid damage but I know it did not happen here, I can only assume it happened in transit (van warehouse etc).

They are telling me it's going to cost me £270 to repair it.

I called up this morning, they said second line would look into it but they have missed the point as I just got home to find a message on my phone (I gave them my mobile) saying they will send me pictures to prove liquid damage but im not disputing the damage, I'm disputing where it happened.

I just sent them an email so I hope that gets through to the right department.

If anyone from ASUS do read this my refference is GBB42A2086

tony_s wrote:
This is turning into a nighmare. I returned the unit and now the repairers (letmerepair) are trying saying to say I have damaged my laptop with liquid.

It's only been faulty since it was returned by them last time, I'm not saying there is no liquid damage but I know it did not happen here, I can only assume it happened in transit (van warehouse etc).

They are telling me it's going to cost me £270 to repair it.

I called up this morning, they said second line would look into it but they have missed the point as I just got home to find a message on my phone (I gave them my mobile) saying they will send me pictures to prove liquid damage but im not disputing the damage, I'm disputing where it happened.

I just sent them an email so I hope that gets through to the right department.

If anyone from ASUS do read this my refference is GBB42A2086

Unfortunately I can only deal with the North America region, so I can't even look up the RMA. I can give you the Asus UK number, but afraid that's about the extent of my abilities. Give them a ring, maybe they can help.

0044-8701208340 and the hours are 09:00-17:00 Mon-Fri

Thanks Scott I have sent them an email and directed them here so at least they can see I was experiencing and issue from the moment it was returned and recorded it here which is much earlier than when I raised the RMA.

Asus-Europe

Good Morning, I know you will be looking in here today as I left details of this forum with your helpdesk yesterday.

I have never disputed the damage, if you experts are sure its water damage then I accept their expert opinion.

I dispute I caused the damage, I know I took several weeks to file an RMA but that was because the problem was so intermittent and only failed to boot once a week.

Even though I did not file an RMA for several weeks I recorded the issues right here just a few days after getting the laptop back, the second time it failed to boot, it’s all recorded and date stamped.

I can only conclude the water damage happened in transit (warehouse/van etc), It really did not happen in my home and I would not have made up the content of the first post to this thread back at the start of October. At that time I could not have known all this would happen now in November.

Pitcher1
Level 9
hi, Does ASUS feedback?

tony_s
Level 7
Hi mike, sorry I only just noticed your response ASUS Europe are not feeding back, second line have reported it to a manager who is supposedly investigating but even though I keep chasing and Sandra on second line keep asking them to contact me they don't.

Sandra told me if I have told them by phone about the problems instead of posting here they would have repaired my laptop free of charge and accepted it happened in transit, she told me they wont accept anything posted here as its a North American site (not Europe) and they will only accept my phone call (about a month) as my first report of anything wrong.

I find this whole situation ridiculous and I fully intend to take ASUS to the small claims court over this, I really can't imagine a magistrate seeing this as acceptable.

I am today posting this letter as a final chance for ASUS to conclude their investigation and feedback to me:

Service Manager
ASUSTEK UK LTD
1st Floor
Hemel One
Boundary Way
Hemel Hempstead
HP2 7YU

Dear Sir or Madam,

CASE: ID 12111360364 (GBB42A2086 [ID=STM2012111315233677762])

I am writing regarding the repairs to my laptop, I have repeatedly been told the case is being investigated and to expect a response. I am very disappointed it is necessary to keep chasing this matter and that no response has been received.

I had my laptop repaired under warranty, it was returned with a message saying the keyboard had been replaced. Immediately I had issues with it not booting correctly, this was very intermittent and would go several days without an issue.

I documented the issue here within a few days of taking delivery:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?24195-K53E-not-booting&country=&status

I have been told by your second line they will not accept this record despite it being an official ASUS website because it based in north America, I have further been told if I had reported it by phone to the helpline the repair would have been honoured under the warranty.

The water damage to my laptop did not happen while in my home, it was returned in this state and Its clear to me the damage happened in transit during the period in question we were experiencing torrential rain in the UK.

I can see no good reason my forum post (on an official ASUS website) can’t be taken as evidence, ASUS is an international company and here in the UK we have to contact the Netherlands to arrange repairs.

Please read the thread on the website listed above and please take this record into account when making a decision.

I look forward to a full response to this letter within 14 days. If I do not receive a satisfactory response I intend to pursue my complaint further, I am prepared to take this matter to the small claims court if that becomes necessary.

Yours faithfully,

tony_s
Level 7
Asus UK have finally replied after 2 months and numerous calls with a letter simply signed "UK COMPLAINTS TEAM", nobody assigned, nobody taking responsibility. - nothing like taking customers seriously is there!

They have investigated and say:

Asus repairs carry a 24 hour guarantee anything not notified as "not satisfactory" wont be accepted. - great service Asus!

This forum can't be considered evidence a fault existed as all faults have to be notified my phone within 24 hours.

Was not in warranty during second return. - yes it was it was.

And the letter concludes:

mission statement: “ all comments and suggestions which we receive related to our service are helping us continually improve our processes to achieve our future company mission statement: become number 1 in service” - you got a long way to go Asus UK!

Time to see Asus in court face to face!

my reply:

I am writing in reply to your response (dated 2nd January) to my letter of complaint (dated 28th December).

Firstly I am very disappointed Asus have treated this matter so poorly, refusing to reply to my telephone complaints and requests by your own second line support to contact me. The handling of this complaint reflects very badly on Asus as a company, even at this stage your letter is simply signed “UK COMPLAINTS TEAM” still I have no point of contact within your organisation.

I fear you are a long way from your mission statement: “become number 1 in service” in fact I have never come up against a company that treats their customers with such flippant disregard.

As you state there is nothing further you can do, I am formally advising you that in 28 days from receipt of this letter (15 February 2013) I will be initiating legal action at the county court at which point this matter can only be settled prior to the hearing date by your refund of my repair (£274.78) plus court fees (£25.00) totalling £299.78. I will be making a claim on the basis you have failed to adequately repair my laptop and return it in a satisfactory condition under the sale or good and services act 1982.

I sincerely hope this matter can be resolved amicably before 15/02/13, I draw your attention to errors in your investigation in the hope you may reconsider your stance.

1, You state my laptop was out of warranty on the second return, this is incorrect the RMA was arranged on 30/10/2012 and collected from me on 01/11/12 at which point it was still under warranty as I purchased it from Dabs.com on 02/11/2011.

2, You say you will not accept my forum postings as a reporting of a fault, I understand that but do expect you to take my posts as evidence of the condition my laptop was returned in as it’s as official Asus website and I was in conversation with an official Asus Technical Support Employee.

3, You state I must report any fault within 24 hours, this is irrelevant as the laptop was under warranty, that aside 24 hours is completely unreasonable especially as this was an intermittent fault which only manifested itself once every few days. The fault was so intermittent I had to make a video of the fault and send the video with my laptop so the repair centre could see the fault.

Remember, you can put any requirements you want in your guarantee T&C’s but these do not affect my statutory rights and it’s those rights a district judge will consider not and limiting conditions you have tried to impose.

Finally I have discovered while taking advice from an electronics expert that electronic goods should never be turned on straight after delivery especially when they have been stored in cold damp environments (like to cold damp back of a van for 24 hours!), electronic goods should be left to acclimatise or the move from cold and damp to warm can cause condensation to form on the PCB resulting in damage, this was never advised by Asus or your repairer and my expert advises putting a sticker on equipment warning it should be left to acclimatise before use.

I suggest you ask your legal team to review this letter before making another reply.

As stated above, this letter is an official notification of intended legal action that will commence on 15 February 2013 without further notification if an amicable resolution is not offered by Asus and as such is sent by recorded delivery.

Yours faithfully,