Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 62

Thread: "Normal" Temperature for GTX 670M in G75VW?

  1. #51
    ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array dstrakele's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    USA
    Reputation
    89
    Posts
    4,437

    Don't forget about ambient room temperature...

    You're also assuming the temperature sensors are 100% accurate.
    Last edited by dstrakele; 11-18-2012 at 06:49 PM.
    G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

  2. #52
    ROG Guru: Green Belt Array mrwolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Dubai/London
    Reputation
    21
    Posts
    657

    Yea i see what you mean chillin, and you are absolutely correct. It is hotter than others but then again no GPU is exactly the same and thermal paste is never applied exactly the same so results may differ, even though mine is a bit on the high side.. Either way its not a big deal for me as my room is relatively cool, and i OC pretty high and really dont get many heating problems since i have those holes in the bottom now lol before i used to get 85.. I jus tried it now with the holes and i got 80 max after like 12 mins n it wasnt goin up so i stopped it..
    RMA is an option but to be honest, as long as i can game with max OC for as long as i want and not have problems im happy with my device, i have a sony viao laptop that hits 90 degrees on a daily basis and i treat it like ****, let it heat up, leave it outside, my dog sleeps on it n everything and despite all that it works fine lol i even used furmark it was wanting to go wayy over 90 but i stopped it lol.. So my point is that it is up to you about how anal you wanna be about it, in my case i much rather make use of this beast and play some games, rather than RMA and bitch about 5-10 degrees

    yes thanks, i did see your concerns and it made sense about the suction and stuff.. jus been quite busy and forgot to reply lol but ye suction could be affected but i dont think it makes a huge diff because of that fact that the holes i made arent thaat big, and they are covered with a filter.. So suction would not be affected that much and if it did and it made things worse, why are my temps much cooler now?
    Last edited by mrwolf; 11-18-2012 at 06:49 PM.


  3. #53
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Reputation
    20
    Posts
    42

    Quote Originally Posted by dstrakele View Post
    Don't forget about ambient room temperature...

    You're also assuming the temperature sensors are 100% accurate.
    Well, yes, you are right about ambient temperature, but I'm assuming nir0 is taking that into account because we discussed that with him in another thread (he has a few threads where he is talking about his temps). And also true that all we know is that Furmark is reporting a 10-degree higher temp, that could be because his GPU is actually 10-degrees hotter, or it could be a false due to an inaccurate measurement; it could be caused by lots of things really, or combination of things. But my point is, if I'm buying a brand new high quality laptop, I expect everything about it to be manufactured with tight enough quality control to get the same results as everyone else with at least 3%, or maybe 5% max difference. If it doesn't then something is wrong, or not as good as it could have been. Whether it's a poorly placed temp pick-up, bad sensor, poor paste job, whatever, I want to start off with a brand new machine with it all put together properly. If one thing isn't quite up to par, how many other things that aren't obvious might not be quite right with this machine as well?

    That's why I RMA'd my 97-degree GPU machine and now have one at 75-degrees. Granted, it was a much easier decision to RMA a 97-degree machine (30% hotter), thna an 85-degree machine (13% hotter); so only nir0 can decide what to do.

  4. #54
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Reputation
    20
    Posts
    42

    Quote Originally Posted by mrwolf View Post
    Yea i see what you mean chillin, and you are absolutely correct. It is hotter than others but then again no GPU is exactly the same and thermal paste is never applied exactly the same so results may differ, even though mine is a bit on the high side.. Either way its not a big deal for me as my room is relatively cool, and i OC pretty high and really dont get many heating problems since i have those holes in the bottom now lol before i used to get 85.. I jus tried it now with the holes and i got 80 max after like 12 mins n it wasnt goin up so i stopped it..
    RMA is an option but to be honest, as long as i can game with max OC for as long as i want and not have problems im happy with my device, i have a sony viao laptop that hits 90 degrees on a daily basis and i treat it like ****, let it heat up, leave it outside, my dog sleeps on it n everything and despite all that it works fine lol i even used furmark it was wanting to go wayy over 90 but i stopped it lol.. So my point is that it is up to you about how anal you wanna be about it, in my case i much rather make use of this beast and play some games, rather than RMA and bitch about 5-10 degrees

    yes thanks, i did see your concerns and it made sense about the suction and stuff.. jus been quite busy and forgot to reply lol but ye suction could be affected but i dont think it makes a huge diff because of that fact that the holes i made arent thaat big, and they are covered with a filter.. So suction would not be affected that much and if it did and it made things worse, why are my temps much cooler now?
    Yeah, well for you we know RMA is not an option, especially since you already drilled those holes. Plus I don't know how old your machine is, but in nir0's case, he just bought his; so he may want to start off with a brand new machine knowing that it is within spec with most other people's. That will be up to him.

    As far as your holes you drilled: my only point is that it was obviously not ASUS's intent to introduce fresh air right there directly at the fans, or they would have put vents there. So their intended air flow within the case has a different design to pull in a specific locations, pass by the hot stuff, and blow out the back. So where does the "cool" air that get sucked into your new holes go? Well if it simply enters the fan and blows straight out the back without passing by a "hot" area to cool it, then it doesn't help anything. In that case it actually reduces the amount of air flow that does pass by the hot areas, and make cooling less efficient.

    But I really don't know what's happening with that air, so maybe you really are cooling your hot areas (CPU and/or GPU) better. But I also don't know exactly how they measure the temps of the CPU and or GPU. Do they have a temp sensor embedded right on the GPU or CPU? on the heatsinks? Or do they have a sensor somewhere else in the system that used logic to predict what the temperature "should" be at the CPU or GPU?

    I don't know the answers to any of that; I'm just saying it's something to think about; maybe those holes really do help where you put them.

  5. #55
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Reputation
    20
    Posts
    42

    Actually, those % differences in heat are really not representative of the cooling efficiency. It's actually much worse.

    Those percentages I gave previously were with respect with 0-degrees Celcius. But really it should be compared to your ambient temperature, because the system is NEVER at 0-degrees Celcius. In my case, my house is 72-F which = 22-C ambient temperature = the temperature of all components when the machine is off.

    So if 75-C is "normal" stress test max GPU temp, the computing load caused 75-22= 53-degrees Celcius of heat.

    My 97-C machine cause 97-22= 75-degrees Celcius of heat.

    75 - 53 = 22-degrees hotter than normal "baseline" of 53. Then 22/53 = 41.5% hotter than normal. That indicates a severe problem.

    Now in nir0's case (assuming same ambient temperature of 22-C): 85-75= 10-degrees hotter. 10/53 = 19% hotter. Not as bad as 41.5%, but if my system was running 19% hotter than other's I would be concerned.
    Last edited by chiilin; 11-18-2012 at 07:57 PM.

  6. #56
    ROG Guru: White Belt Array
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    101

    well to RMA it would be a problem... since as i said the supplyer said those are normal temps lol, also i took it from online shop in Romania and had a currier bring it to me in Greece were i live.. it took 3 days to get the money in theyr account and another 4days to get it to me... why? it was about 800-900 euros cheaper about same specifications.And i`m from Romania my self

    Now supplyer said before it got to me.. Asus guaranties for the 24 moths warranty and if any problems come up normly i would have to send to supplayer but if i contact Asus in Greece they thnk they could help me 2.

    now I`m not sure can I RMA it in any country or... if i can do i have to send it back in same box it came?

    even in Romania it was 1500 euros so yeah i kind of want it to be perfect for that money...


    EDIT: yes my room temp is 20-22 Celcius
    Last edited by nirO; 11-18-2012 at 08:00 PM.

  7. #57
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Reputation
    20
    Posts
    42

    Well, if RMA'ing is difficult for you, you have two other options to consider: Live with a machine whose GPU reports a 19% less efficient cooling system, or try fixing the problem yourself. IMO, the most likely cause of the higher temperature is a less-than-perfect pasting of the heatsink to the GPU. You could take it apart and repaste it on better yourself if you trust yourself to do that, but you may also void you warranty at the same time.

    It just comes down to your personal decision. RMA'ing was easy for me here in the USA, plus my previous system was 41.5% less efficient, making the decision a no-brainer. At 19% inefficiency, you may be OK depending on your needs, and you still have the warranty if anything happens after awhile.

  8. #58
    ROG Guru: White Belt Array
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    101

    i would RMA it.. so leaves me to contact Asus via email to see what they have to say about it... and then call Asus here in greece..

    otherwise.. i will buy a cooler pad and give it a extra cooling not sure how much it will help since air flow in on the back but still

  9. #59
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    22

    Well, i played Battlefield 3 on custom settings, most of them high, for around 8hrs and got no hotter than 71c. i used a program call nvidia inspector, you oc and monitor the temps and everything that deals with your gpu

  10. #60
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    9

    Quote Originally Posted by ghostroboBH View Post
    Well, i played Battlefield 3 on custom settings, most of them high, for around 8hrs and got no hotter than 71c. i used a program call nvidia inspector, you oc and monitor the temps and everything that deals with your gpu
    Just out of curiosity, how high was your FPS? I play on med-low 1080p and I get 45-60 (vsync on).

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •