cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reoccurring failure tor recognize headphones

time268
Level 7
My G75V has been performing admirably for the three months or so that I have owned it, but there has been an annoying problem ever since I opened the box. The computer plays audio through the headphones as it is supposed to if you open the media item (game, video, etc), and then plug in the headphones. If I open a new window and begin to play anything with sound when the headphones are already plugged in, the audio plays over both the built in speakers and the headphones. Unplugging and reconnecting the headphones causes the audio to play solely through the headphones again. Once I have plugged the headphones in, all windows that were open at that time play the audio through the headphones correctly, but new windows play the audio through the built in speakers and headphones until I disconnect and reconnect the headphones again.

This problem is only an annoyance, but it is a major annoyance. I did some poking around in the audio settings, but from what I found it seems that the external speakers and audio jack are both under "Speakers", causing any attempt to mute the external speakers to have the same effect on the audio jack. Does anyone have a fix for this problem?
8 REPLIES 8

finalhour
Level 11
did you just update the driver? the new one seems to be buggy, you may need to go back to an older one...
G75VW-BBK5 Windows 8 Pro 1TB HDD, 180GB Corsair Force GT Sata3 SSD, 16GB DDR3, GeForce GTX 660M, Intel i-7 3610-QM 2.3Ghz Turboboost to 3.3Ghz

i have the same issue as well, really annoying!

this has been broken since i bought my G75 in May... managed accidentally to wake my daughter a few times on starting some music/movie. wife been asking me are you mad?! using headphones and listening on speakers?! 🙂

fixed the other optical drive clicking by disabling the unit 😛 i just hope i don't need to disable audio too... 😄

@finalhour

This issue started happening within the first five minutes of the computer starting up. I don't know if the driver is the problem, but it could very well be. The current version I have is the NVIDIA HD Audio Driver 1.3.11.1. If this is the newer driver, could you post a link to the older driver?

HulkSmash
Level 8
Hi! I had the same problem with the headphones...Actually 2, one sometimes it wouldn't play the sound through the headphones, or when it did, the speakers would still be on. It's working fine now though. I uninstalled all VIA sound drivers, restarted the computer. Installed the VIA 10800 version, and restarted again. After that the audio was still coming out through the speakers. However for some reason, after running an audio application and restarting for a second time after the VIA 10800 driver, the problem was fixed...Not sure why, but hey, it worked...
SO far the best drivers I've ran were 10600 and 10800...10900 kept on turning off the equalizer (which is pretty much a necessity for this computer, if you're picky about audio), and I had to turn it on every time I switched applications. But so far I liked the 10800 better (specially because it fixed my issue...).

Oh, another tip...if your current driver version is working, do yourself a favor and DO NOT upgrade or downgrade. Why fix what isn't broken? That's what got me to have my audio problems the first time. Make sure you read threads on that specific audio driver before upgrade, so you know if there are any issues with it....

tkolarik
Level 9
I had exact problem also, upgraded drivers, had to do two reboots to start working correctly. However, I still have to disable the subwoofer to use Elaborate/Colaborate for my online classes.

This may be a dead end, but would anyone happen to know how to completely disable the speakers, but leave the audio jack active? I don't really care about external audio, as I only use headphones.

I had a similar problem when I first starting using a USB headphone set on my G75vw. I ended up playing with the settings in the HD VDeck software that came with the system, & eventually got it such that I can use headphones without hearing anything from the onboard speakers (but can hear through the onboard speakers when I disconnect the headphones). As I play games later in the wee hours of the day, my wife now appreciates my attempting to modify those settings. I'll see if I can grab screen captures of my settings in HD VDeck & post them, but it will have to be later this weekend. Sorry, but this week has been a bit much for me--what with an unexpected funeral & my daughter's church conformation & all.

I will provide the screencaps in hopes that they help, just can't do so right now. "Sleep is a weapon..." Hope you understand.
"If it moves, salute it. If it doesn't move, pick it up. & if you can't pick it up...paint it RED & BLACK !!"
G75VW-BBK5 {stock}

............ Macrium Reflect ..................Full G55VW/G75VW model list!

kuudou
Level 7
iMario999 wrote:
Yellow, I had the same exact problem. I found a fix. Hope you enjoy.

First uninstall your VIA HD Audio Deck.
Reboot your laptop.
Download THIS and install it.
Reboot again.

I fixed my subwoofer problem with these simple steps. It was the only issue I had with the laptop, now everything is good. G75VW FOR LIFE!

Do exactly what this guy did.

Do try and check the stickies in this forum.