cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

x79 ROG Formula IV + 3820 BSOD and freezing issues

vsr785
Level 7
My setup:
ASUS Rampage IV Formula LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i7-3820 Sandy Bridge-E 3.6GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 2011 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80619i73820

G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model F3-17000CL9Q, XMP quad channel ready.

VisionTek 900492 Radeon HD 7950 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Crucial M4 CT256M4SSD2 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

ZALMAN CNPS9900MAX-B 135mm Long life bearing CPU Cooler Blue LED

CORSAIR HX Series HX850 850W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

This is my first machine build. The hardware install seemed relatively straight forward and was able to put everything together properly.

I ran all provided disc drivers from the MB, video card, installed Windows 7 pro OS.

Like a noob, I played with the OC settings that Asus provided. Upon further research it is frowned upon to use their OC'ing options. So after playing around with those options and finding out that I shouldn't be doing that in the first place, and after more BSODs and overclock failure messages, I reverted to loading the optimized default settings. I even went on to use the "safe default settings" selections to go back to stock.

I tried to adjust the memory setting to XMP and 2133 since they are XMP and quad channel capable. Machine booted up fine, during games or video game watching, This caused a BSOD saying overclock failure. So i reverted to auto and back to 1600.

Machine booted up with no problems. My temperatures idle range anywhere from 28-35 degrees. When playing WoW, i get anywhere from 40-100 FPS. At times, when running instances, or when entering a dungeon, or during a massive boss fight, even when watching a simple movie on VLC, my computer either, freezes and does not allow me to CTRL ALT DEL, which forces to me do a hard reset, or i get a BSOD forcing a restart. When the BSOD occurs, it says overclock failure, even with my Default optimized settings.

I monitor the temps when playing, and they are at safe levels, 30-45 degrees. I can sometimes play for hours with no problems. It's very random when it happens, but when it does it happens when entering into new in game instances, larger boss fights, as examples.

I used Prime95 and ran a torture test on the 3rd setting (a little bit of everything and RAM testing or whatever) I ran it for 20-30 minutes no problems. It said it had passed everything and temps were no more than 57 degrees throughout the process.

I'm not sure what is causing this BSOD or these lockups. Any advice will help.
42 REPLIES 42

Chino
Level 15

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hi there!

Running XMP is overclocking and I think it is the RAM that is not behaving as it should. Maybe best to try setting it up manually and/or increasing VTT/VCCSA a bit.

What values is XMP setting for these last?

my windows event viewer says, CRITICAL, Kernel-Power Event ID 41 Task Category (63)

The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Hi there!

Running XMP is overclocking and I think it is the RAM that is not behaving as it should. Maybe best to try setting it up manually and/or increasing VTT/VCCSA a bit.

What values is XMP setting for these last?

I tried using the XMP setting, and i believe the values were:

9 11 10 28 2N 2133MHZ from that setting. I was able to input all the values except the "2N" value. I don't know where to find that value. So i found that the XMP setting had a profile that was equal to the above values. I checkrf Gskill and those are the proper values for my ram as well.

i checked the DRAM voltage and set both to 1.65, i think there were 2 places to enter in those values. one for the right side and one for the left side.

i even updated my BIOS, uninstalled my video drivers and reinstalled them and i ran memtest86+ and it passed 1 round for about 1.2 hours. Did Prime95 for more than 6 hours with no hitch. temperatures were stable. Until last night, i was able to play some games for a few hours before the freezing occurred and the BSOD popped up. This time it forced me to run BIOS saying overclock failure when i only had the XMP settings. So, i reverted back to optimized defaults and will see if this occurs again.

this is my first build and i honestly have no idea how to properly do things within the BIOS, aside from the obvious and default settings.

vsr785 wrote:
I tried using the XMP setting, and i believe the values were:

9 11 10 28 2N 2133MHZ from that setting. I was able to input all the values except the "2N" value. I don't know where to find that value. So i found that the XMP setting had a profile that was equal to the above values. I checkrf Gskill and those are the proper values for my ram as well.

i checked the DRAM voltage and set both to 1.65, i think there were 2 places to enter in those values. one for the right side and one for the left side.

i even updated my BIOS, uninstalled my video drivers and reinstalled them and i ran memtest86+ and it passed 1 round for about 1.2 hours. Did Prime95 for more than 6 hours with no hitch. temperatures were stable. Until last night, i was able to play some games for a few hours before the freezing occurred and the BSOD popped up. This time it forced me to run BIOS saying overclock failure when i only had the XMP settings. So, i reverted back to optimized defaults and will see if this occurs again.

this is my first build and i honestly have no idea how to properly do things within the BIOS, aside from the obvious and default settings.

This is the screen i get after setting it to XMP with proper voltage and memory #s or whatever they're called (9-11-10-28)

Windows solution message:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: d1
BCP1: 0000000000000028
BCP2: 0000000000000002
BCP3: 0000000000000000
BCP4: FFFFF880047686FD
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 256_1

sorry for the extra picture, all.

The Event Viewer

Event ID 41 Kernel Power Task Category (63)

HiVizMan
Level 40
Please record the BSOD error code. It will be a long number, try and note down as much or as many as you can.

What I would do now is this.

Go into BIOS F5 and enter to reset to defaults.

Set your SATA mode (RAID or what ever default is AHCI)

Now enable XMP mode in the overclocking drop down.

F10 and enter to save.

If that is all you change then your system should be good to go.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan
Level 40
OK - please follow my Memtest86+ guide and I would not be surprised that you have a stick of ram that is faulty when the XMP profile is enabled.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
OK - please follow my Memtest86+ guide and I would not be surprised that you have a stick of ram that is faulty when the XMP profile is enabled.

How long should I run the memtest? I did run it for an hour yesterday and it passed one round of tests. I read that if memory is bad, it would have been found as soon as i run the memtest. i appreciate your advice.