+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Remember ME ? Windows 8 makes it look like a success

ROG Guru: White Belt TSC-Ops +10

Remember ME ? Windows 8 makes it look like a success

best to leave WIndows 7 on your laptop. dont make the bad decision of going to 8 . you will run into more problems than China has people.

MS made a bad decision dont support them on it.

use your g75vw like it was supposed to be used and keep W7 on it

ROG Guru: Orange Belt finalhour +20

Quote Originally Posted by TSC-Ops View Post
    best to leave WIndows 7 on your laptop. dont make the bad decision of going to 8 . you will run into more problems than China has people.

MS made a bad decision dont support them on it.

use your g75vw like it was supposed to be used and keep W7 on it
    Yours is the only real negative reaction on here. I think maybe you should take a look around and realize that no one else gives a rat's @ss about your rant against windows 8. If you have something substantive to add to the conversation, i.e. specifics, post away, but otherwise you're just being nuisance
    G75VW-BBK5 Windows 8 Pro 1TB HDD, 180GB Corsair Force GT Sata3 SSD, 16GB DDR3, GeForce GTX 660M, Intel i-7 3610-QM 2.3Ghz Turboboost to 3.3Ghz

you really should read what others are saying here than. its garbage

ROG Guru: Green Belt john_from_ohio +20

Quote Originally Posted by TSC-Ops View Post
    Nothing much wrong with Win 7 64 bit eh?

Yeah I did a system image onto external ... put in a spare drive ( pulled everything else out ) ... recovered my current system onto spare drive ... did the WIn 8 upgrade.

Did not like the result at all ... a fail for me even after putting a start menu back on ... but we have to remember that Win 8 is supposed to be competing more in the tablet area.

Might be interesting on something like microsoft surface tablet but no way I would run WIn 8 RT ... no idea why microsoft is so far behind on getting the real surface with real Win 8 on it out.

ROG Guru: Brown Belt Clintlgm +20 Clintlgm's Avatar

John how did you get a start menu. I'm running a dual boot on a work station with a 24" monitor, its waring my arm out going to that top right corner. I was going to try a Quick Launch tool bar tomorrow that's what i am used to using. Hoping it will work in 8
    G75VW-DS72 Win 8.1 Pro MC
    Intel Core i7-3610QM
    16 GB Hyundai HTM315156CFR8C-PB PC3-12800
    nVIDIA GeForce GTX 670M (GF114M)
    LITEONIT LAT-256M3S Seagate ST9750420AS
    BD Writer

ROG Guru: White Belt madnj +10

These are the exact posts that really just annoy me to hell. I have no problem if you take the time to install/test/use an OS, but to knock it based on some biased 3rd party regurgitated garbage is just wasting space.

Windows ME was a trainwreck because it was an OS built on a buggy/unstable core (Windows 98) and you can't exactly make a stable OS when you are building on quicksand.

Windows 8 is NOTHING comparatively like Windows ME when compared to Windows 7. Windows 8 is fast, stable, and has made a large numberof general improvements, none of which I really need to get into here.

I run my system around the clock and have not had a single bluescreen/crash/hard lock of any kind since I worked out the kinks in my initial OS install. Gaming performance has been great, and aside from a few minor application incompatibilities I can't really knock anything about the OS.

If you don't like Metro and you haven't even taken the time to use the OS at all, you aren't even worth arguing with because all you are doing is regurgitating the "Metro sucks" groupthink that is so popular on the web these days.

I rarely have to even go to the Metro interface honestly, but even when I do I really can't say I find it worse than a traditional start menu. If there's something you can't figure out how to do, please, list it, maybe someone can offer a solution/workaround. Don't just say "hurr, Metro sucks" because it really doesn't add anything to the discussion.

John how did you get a start menu. I'm running a dual boot on a work station with a 24" monitor, its waring my arm out going to that top right corner. I was going to try a Quick Launch tool bar tomorrow that's what i am used to using. Hoping it will work in 8
    What are you trying to go to the top right corner for? I understand that's how you bring up the charms menu, but I rarely use it. You can also use Windows Key - C to bring it up as a hotkey.

I'd still like to understand your usage though, because you certainly don't need the charms menu to get to the start menu. Just bring your mouse to the bottom left corner and click to bring up the menu.

Alternatively for commonly used apps, you can pin them to the start bar so you don't even need to go to the start menu to launch them. Also Windows Key - R will bring up the run line, and just Windows Key will bring up the Metro start menu.

I know of a ton of workarounds/hotkeys/ways to do things, so elaborate on what you are looking to do and I'll offer help/tips if I can.

they make 3rd party apps to bring a version of the start menu back , and I have tried 8 its garbage. some of us do this for a living madnj and it truly makes ME look like a gold stallion

Some of us? I'd love to hear your credentials because I actually do this work for a living.

3rd party apps to bring the start menu back is simply fighting against a direction Microsoft has chosen to take.

I have tried 8 its garbage
    What is your definition of trying? Give some scenarios where it does not perform as well or better than Windows 7? Also, I seem to recall quite a few compatibility issues with applications when WIndows 7 was released, so compatibility isn't really a fair argument - although from what I've dealt with most things ARE compatible.

Windows ME was based on Windows 9x code... It was never going to be a "good" OS... Your argument/comparison is flawed and fails even the most basic sniff test.

For some reason I think I'll trust my experience in the industry and working with Windows 8 RTM since August 15th RTM release and Consumer/Release previews before it over your anecdotal "it totally sucks" comments. As you say, "some of us do this for a living", and I think I know which one of us that is.

ROG Guru: Blue Belt GottiBoi55 +20 GottiBoi55's Avatar

I can't comment on W8 yet!
    I'm downloading it now (about 60% left to go), but will get back when all done.
    Had a hard time yesterday with connecton, LOL guess too many online downloading!

I will leave W7 on my SSD for now.
    going to install W8 on my 2nd HDD and test there first, will see how things work out.
    The 2nd drive is a fresh install of W7, so hopefully W8 will have a good base to upgrade too.
    will also dual boot my setup, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for now with W8 install!
    GottiBoi55

Asus G75VW-TS72
    Intel 520 Series 180GB SSD
    16GB DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM
    NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 670M with 3GB GDDR5 VRAM
    second monitor
    Sharp Aquos 32"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast