cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What could be my highest OC limit?

dwain
Level 10
Hi,

I've just bought R4E Mobo. And the cpu I bought is Intel Core i7 3630K 3,20 GHZ.

The cooler I'm using is a Thermaltake Frio Advanced.

I haven't started to do any overclocking yet. I just want to know what could be the highest but the most stable speed for this processor with the other hardwares I'm using?

I don't know if needed but, my VGA is 690GTX and Memories are Gskill 16 GB 2133 MHZ 4x4

Probably the only thing I should do is to change the multiplier between something 43 or 46? And put the ram speed to 2133. But I don't know which multiplier value will be as stable as its standart speed. I never want any crash or freeze because of this 🙂

Thanks for your help.
54 REPLIES 54

HiVizMan
Level 40
With your cooler, I would suggest 4.4 for 24/7 use would be a safe target. Please do keep your eye on the temps. I am not sure that the cooler is able to handle more than 230watts. But I could be wrong about the work load it can manage.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
With your cooler, I would suggest 4.4 for 24/7 use would be a safe target. Please do keep your eye on the temps. I am not sure that the cooler is able to handle more than 230watts. But I could be wrong about the work load it can manage.

My cooler supports 230W. I don't know if it would still work ok higher than that. But 4.4 GHZ is also enough for me.

Do I really have to make a Memtest? Is this a must? Removing all the memories and trying them one by one will take a long time I guess. Can't I just run a test while they are all plugged in Quad mode?

dwain wrote:
Do I really have to make a Memtest? Is this a must? Removing all the memories and trying them one by one will take a long time I guess. Can't I just run a test while they are all plugged in Quad mode?

No, of course! You don't have to remove the memories - that's only for troubleshooting when problems appear...

I would still run the test when you applied the XMP setting at least... as i said, "this will save you a lot of time during the OC'ing process"... If the memories became unstable, they really can mess up the OS... and when that is messed up, you start scratching your had to figure out what's wrong...

Based on my experience, it's better to test the RAM first... - but it's really up to you if you want to do it or not... Also, HiVizMan has a lot more experience than me, I would folow his instructions first... then, you still can decide if you want Memtest86+ or not... 🙂

I have 2 questions.

I couldn't find cpu multiplier. I could change to X.M.P mode. But i didn't see CPU multiplier. What is its exact name on the menu?

In Digi vrm set LLC to regular

When i enter to Digi+ there are a few Load Line Controller. Cpu, CpuVsa etc... Which one should i change to regular?

Do you normlly install all the drivers from the CD even if windows finds it?

And which softwares do i need to install? Are all necessery?

Thanks..

Zka17
Level 16
If you want to start OC'ing, specially including the memories, i would suggest to assure that your system is stable a stock settings... just hit F5 in BIOS, then F10 and run Memtest86+ (detailed guide in HiVizMan's signature above)... - if everything is OK, then go to the next step...

Set your RAM to the XMP values and run Memtest86+ again... - this will save you a lot of time during the OC'ing process...

If your RAM is stable at the settings you want, start OC'ing the CPU... as HiVizMan said, your limit will be determined by the temps...

HiVizMan
Level 40
LOL

Do not worry about memtest just yet.

This is what I would do.

F5 in BIOS to set factory defaults.

Set my Oveclocking to XMP profile.

Change the multiplier to 44

Change the VCore to offset mode
+

Set SATA mode (only if you are running raid)

Leave all other settings on auto

F10 and enter

There you have 4.4GHz with all the Intel power saving enabled.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
LOL

Do not worry about memtest just yet.

This is what I would do.

F5 in BIOS to set factory defaults.

Set my Oveclocking to XMP profile.

Change the multiplier to 44

+

Set SATA mode (only if you are running raid)

Leave all other settings on auto

F10 and enter

There you have 4.4GHz with all the Intel power saving enabled.

Wow! Thanks 🙂

I will do them. So you suggest not to go further right? Should I stay on 4.4 GHZ all the time?

And if you don't mind explaining what the followings are for, I would be appreciated. I just want to know for what reason I'm doing these changes. I mean I want to learn what these are for.

+

Thanks.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Hey sorry for not getting back to you earlier, was having a little nap.

LLC = Load Line Calibration.

Only thing you need to install is the LAN driver, the USB3 driver and the Intel Chipset driver. What you do is download the latest verisons, and stick them on a USB stick.

That DVD that comes with the motherboard. Toss it in the bin. Do not get tempted to install any of the software or ever, ever install AISuite. 😮

Thank you for your reply. Could you also show me which LLC I should change on a screenshot?

So I need to install only Lan Driver, USB3 driver and Chipset driver but not from the DVD? You mean I need to download these from the internet with their latest version and put them in a USB or whatever, and update the drivers directly from the USB right?

What about Sata drivers? I'm using Raid.

And you said not to install any software from DVD? Not even AlSuite? How do I control and monitor cpu temperature etc? I also want to be able to use iRog connect to make tweaks from iphone.

Thank you for your help.