cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i7 3770 Overclock

Aphelion64
Level 7
Is it possible to overclock the i7 3770? How can I overclock it, even if it is just a little bit?

My Motherboard is Asus Maximus V Extreme
Corsair 16 gb pentium
Corsair TX 750
Asus GTX 680 2gb
Corsair H80

Thanks!
Feel free to teach this noob :rolleyes: -Aphelion64
6 REPLIES 6

Zka17
Level 16
You have the 3770 locked version? or the unlocked 3770k?

HiVizMan
Level 40
Yes you can. You have a number of options to do so.

One is the BCLK, and the other is to set all cores to the maximum turbo multiplier which is 43x. I have clocked one sample to 4760MHz. What you can reasonably expect is to get your system to 4.4GHz - 4.5GHz. Which is 43x a BCLK of between 102 -105 which should be doable. This is all cooling dependant.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Aphelion64
Level 7
I have the locked version (i7 3770).

I've read about the BCLK option and everything I've seen is that it's dangerous. Is the second option more friendly?

Thanks!

Zka17
Level 16
Dangerous?! Ah, it isn't... you can only kill your CPU... 🙂

But, seriously, if you watch your temps, it will be fine! Be sure that you have enough airflow and your ambient temps are as low as possible...

Zka17 wrote:
Dangerous?! Ah, it isn't... you can only kill your CPU... 🙂

But, seriously, if you watch your temps, it will be fine! Be sure that you have enough airflow and your ambient temps are as low as possible...

Just that? Piece of cake... lol

I tried to overclock it before knowing that this type of processor is locked (yeah... I got mad at myself for buying the locked one) and I think I tried the second option. I followed the instructions given in an rog video in youtube. Now I don't find it and don't remember how. Plus, I don't have the save profile I saved when I did it because I had to fresh install Win7 to see if I had (still trying... so 'have') a faulty video card (long story... and still writing it).

All I can remember is to make sure to set in the BIOS the X.M.P. and that I have to use a Stress Tester like the Prime95 I think. :s

HiVizMan wrote:
With the second option 4.2GHz is very doable.

I think i got to 4.2 GHz...

HiVizMan
Level 40
With the second option 4.2GHz is very doable.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.