cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4.9GHZ Overclock Question

xThree65x
Level 7
I currently have my 3960x Overclocked to 4.9GHz and it seems pretty stable I am still doing some stress testing however. My current Vcore is set to 1.395v which is great however I was reading about a post on the forum where someone mentioned upping the CPU VCCSA voltage to get a overclock stable and it would help lower your Vcore voltage. Currently my CPU VCCSA Voltage is set to 1.3v is that safe to use for a 24/7 overclock?
57 REPLIES 57

Nodens
Level 16
I wouldn't keep it above 1.2 for 24/7 on the SB-E chips. See if you can get it down, you shouldn't need 1.3 anyhow (on that note what RAM are you using?)
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

Thanks Nodens for the reply I will lower it and continue stress testing, I am using 65GB of Gskill Ripjaw Z 1600Mhz Memory.

Since I lowerd the CPU VCCSA 1.2v it seems stable still 🙂 What would you guys recommend a safe 24/7 Vcore to be for a
3960x cpu on this board with 64GB or ram?

HiVizMan
Level 40
There is no way anyone here can tell you a definitive answer for your CPU. No two CPU's are alike or have the same behaviours in memory, PCI or core voltage needs (and capacity I might add)

The pleasure of the Overclocking journey is that discovery of the unique needs and behaviours of your hard ware.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Thanks for the reply HIVizMan, and I do understand where you are coming from since no two setups are ever the same. I was just wondering what a reasonable Vcore for a 3960x would be since I don't really want to degrade it. I've read as long as your below 1.5v then it should be safe however I honestly don't know where to go to get the correct answer. Most of what I have read says 1.4v so when your new to this it gets confusing since some many different people have different views on whats "safe" and whats not. My cpu is under water so it stays at decent temps.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
If it is really stable at that voltage 4.9 from 1.395 is a great result!:D 1.3v VCCSA ,however, makes me wince :eek:

HiVizMan
Level 40
Ah right I get you. Keep it below 1.45 for 24/7 use and of course temperatures should always be your guide.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Arne, I wish 4.9GHz was stable at only 1.395v however after running prime 95 for 4 hours it crashed finally. I will be sure to post my Vcore along with my OC that is stable just to make sure and not provide missleading info...lol.

HIVizMan, thanks for the reply I will be sure to keep that in mind so as long as I am at 1.45v Vcore and below I should be safe for a 24/7 OC also is 1.2 VCCSA safe for a 24/7 OC?