cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot uninstall ASUS USB 3.0 Boost from AI Suite II, please help

Premudriy
Level 9
Hello people,

I have discovered this problem while trying to update the AI Suite II. I first went to uninstall the old AI Suite and when it tried to uninstall the USB 3.0 Boost it just set there for almost an hour. I had to kill it.

After countless hours trying to re-install/uninstall the USB 3.0 Boost I basically decided to install windows from scratch and try over again.

So I wiped windows, installed just the basic things like chipset/ME/network drivers and then AI Suite. Then I tried to uninstall the USB 3.0 from there. Same thing happens and it just hangs, unable to uninstall the driver.

Even worse, once I try to uninstall, then kill then reinstall, it does something to the USB3.0 drivers such that when you launch USB 3.0 utility it cannot see my USB 3.0 jump drive connected. So on a fresh windows + AI Suite install the Boost utility can see that I connect a flash drive and has option to enable the actual boost, but once you try to uninstall the Boost it breaks something in the system and from then on it never works.

So has anyone experienced something like this or is this a known issue? Is there another proper way to uninstall that thing such that it succeeds?

P.S.: also sometimes during uninstall it complains that U3BoostSvr64.exe cannot be found. I saw that if I manually delete the Boost folder in Program Files(x86), then install the Boost, the above exe file is there. On uninstall, however, it deletes the file first, then somehow tries to look for it and of course cannot find it. Weird.
7 REPLIES 7

Premudriy
Level 9
Alright, I reinstalled Windows a dozen of times now and did some experiments. Basically installation of ASUS USB 3.0 Boost is flawed. You can install it only 1 time. If you will attempt to uninstall/update the package, you will have problems with USB 3.0 and it is practically impossible to make Boost work again without re-installing the Windows.

So, you pretty much have 2 choices: 1) Never install USB 3.0 Boost and use it's features, or 2) Install it only one time and forever keep that version.

HiVizMan, do you actually work for ASUS and have contact with engineers? If so, would you please be so kind to pass on this information to them and ask to look into this installation issue with USB 3.0 Boost utility? Tell them to try installing it, then uninstalling, and then installing again and test. It would be nice if they could make this program work.

p.s.: Also the latest AI Suite v2.00.01 has problem, AsusFanControlService is stuck in "starting" mode and can never finish. If someone of you, guys, installed this version, then this is why you have a computer hang for half a minute right after it boots to desktop. I suggest avoiding this version of AI Suite.

HalloweenWeed
Level 12
I don't like to use AI suite. I would say don't install it. The only thing I use it for is to read some of the temps and fan speeds - and then it don't work during 100% CPU stress.
i7-3930K; Asus RIVE; G.SKILL Ripjaws Z 4x4GB DDR3 1866; MSI 7870 2GD5/OC; Crucial M4 SSD 256GB;
Corsair 1000HX; Corsair H100, 4x Excalibur 120mm PWM CPU Fan p-p, AS5; SB X-Fi Titanium Fata1ity Pro;
Dell U2412m IPS 1920x1200; Cooler Master HAF 932 case; Tripp-Lite OMNIVS1500 UPS fully Line-interactive.
(EVGA site: ) And I have a second (wife's) computer, Eve.

Overclocking is useless to me if it is not rock stable.

Nodens
Level 16
You can uninstall it manually...this is what I did when I tried the software out. I can't guide you through it because I don't remember what exactly it installs but I can tell you where to look.

Registry:
1) Check under HKLM\Software and HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node for ASUS Keys that contain Booster related keys or variables and delete them.
2) Check under HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services and look for a service key related to the Booster..the name should hint it (could be something like asusbst, as_boost, aiboost. Once you find the service key delete it but be absolutely sure that it is what you're looking for. If you're not, right click the key and export it, then open the file you exported it to and paste the contents in a reply here (in quote or code tags). Once you're sure and delete it, then reboot and proceed with the next part.

File system:
1) Go to the directory where it installs the booster files. check if there are any dll files there. If there are try unregistering them by opening a command prompt there and running this command "regsvr32 /u name_of_file.dll".
2) Delete the directory.
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

Premudriy
Level 9
@HalloweenWeed, you are probably right, at current state the best choice seems to be not to use AI Suite, which is unfortunate. I would actually enjoy this software if everything would be working as expected. I like the fan profile curve and voltage adjustments from OS, but unfortunately there are too many bugs to enjoy the AI Suite at this time.

@Nodens, I did that at first and I went through registry cleaning leftovers, uninstalled services via 'sc delete ...' and removed related files from HDD. Somehow even after such extensive manual cleanup the installer does not behave in the same way as installing on fresh OS.

When installing on fresh OS for the very first time it works. I saw it install a USB 3 Boost Driver in c:\Program Files, puts all files for the actual Boost utility in c:\Program Files(x86)\Asus\AI Suite\USB 3.0 Boost directory, and added 1 startup entry into registry for the app.

After manual cleanup of pretty much every piece possible, it installs only the actual files into Program Files(x86)\ASUS\AI Suite\..Boost.. directory, but it no longer installs the actual USB 3 Boost Driver in just "Program Files" like before, and it no loner adds the startup entry. I even tried to manually add the startup entry and manually install that Boost Driver. It all results in utility showing "No USB Device" in all subsequent installs and it cannot see my USB 3.0 jump drive, but on the very first install in fresh OS it does show my drive there and I can enable the actual boost for that flash drive.

Also, after install/manual uninstall I saw 4 "USB Root Hub" devices with exclamation points showing up in the device manager that I could not get rid of even with uninstalling them and checking "Delete driver and software", but maybe this is due to me trying to manually install the actual Boost driver manually (I think it was either error 19 or 29).

Basically after a dozen of Windows reinstalls and experiments I came to a conclusion that it is impossible to make USB 3 Boost utility work once an uninstall is attempted. It seems like even after a deep manual cleaning the OS state is still not the same as before the installation of the USB 3 Boost. I don't know, maybe I missed something while manually hunting all pieces in the registry, but I tried it many times.

Nevertheless it is very unfortunately that this is going on and software doesn't work as intended. I still hope that someone can contact the ASUS engineers and maybe they will be able to fix the installer.

Premudriy wrote:

After manual cleanup of pretty much every piece possible, it installs only the actual files into Program Files(x86)\ASUS\AI Suite\..Boost.. directory, but it no longer installs the actual USB 3 Boost Driver in just "Program Files" like before, and it no loner adds the startup entry.

This is because you have actually missed deleting the driver service, it won't try to install it because it thinks that it's already there. And the startup entry because it's either a post installation script or you missed a HKLM\Software entry. I have manualy cleaned, installed newer version to test and manually cleaned again. If all else fails I will do it once again once I get free time and post direct instructions. That doesn't mean that the installer doesn't need to be fixed of course. There is absolutely nothing that can't be removed or repaired manually on windows (except personal data) 🙂

PS Do not use sc delete to delete service as due to permissions it may not actualy erase the entire key..use manual registry method.

PSS I forgot one part, check the usb class keys for filter driver entries.
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

Premudriy
Level 9
Thank you, Nodens, for your help. I will try doing more experiments without doing "sc delete ..." on service like you said. Also, where are the USB class keys in registry cause I don't know.

That would also be nice if you do uninstall/install and then check if USB 3 devices are actually recognized in Boost and then post how you did it in case I don't succeed or if someone else will run into the same issue. It would be a nice guide to have.

Finally, if you will have time to do such tests, please also try uninstalling the USB 3.0 Boost driver that it installs separately in just "Program Files".

I also had an issue with the updated AI suite. USB boost doesn't work for me either. However my solution was simple. I don't really use the suite for much (only Boost and Turbo Evo), so I simply fresh installed and stuck with the original AI Suite that came on this mobo disk and installed USB Boost and Turbo Evo. Works great for me. I used the "if it ain't broke don't fix it mantra" this time around.

Lol...heck I still run BIOS 1005. My 5ghz OC is solid and his been for a year now. As I won't be going with Win 8 anytime soon on my desktop (I loath the Metro touch screen nonsense for a desktop) I have stood pat on my BIOS and select components of AI suite. I used to be one to try all the BIOS and ROMs when they come out, but I have that up on this system and it's been a blessing. My system just works. All the time.