cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time for a new Video Card

Karmageddon
Level 7
My old video card is finally starting to show it's age in some of these newer games and after replacing everything i have finally decided that it is time to replace it aswell. I currently have a 550 Ti and i am looking for advice when picking my next video card.

I can't decide between the 670 and the 680 (both the asus DCU2 for their quietness aswell as their superior overclocking ability). I plan on doing some gaming aswell as video editing and will be doing this on a 1920 x 1080p monitor. (i also like to leave my computer on 24/7 in the winter to fold and keep my room warm :D) I do plan on going 2 way SLI for sure once i get the money, and perhaps even 3 way sli.

Any advice on which card i should choose would be appreciated 🙂

My Setup Currently:

I7 3730k
Rampage IV Extreme
16 gb Corsair Dominator GT
1000W kingwin Lazer
Coolermaster Haf X
H100
550 Ti
2TB game storage, 1 TB storage drive, 60 gb OS drive

My Build

I7 3730k at 4.7 ghz
H100
16gb Corsair Dominator GT RAM at 1866 mhz
2 x Asus GTX DCU2 670's overclocked at 1258 mhz
1 x 1tb Storage Drive
1 x 2 tb Game Drive
1x 60 gb SSD Boot Drive
CoolerMaster HAF X
Kingwin Lazer 1000w
15 REPLIES 15

HiVizMan
Level 40
Just how much do you want to overclock the GPU to?

The DCU2 has some voltage limits imposted by nVid but more than enough for the stock air cooler. 🙂

Big cards but man they look great.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Karmageddon
Level 7
Well im not looking to overclock them for new world records 🙂 I would like to see how high i could overclock them though and then find a balance between the heat/noise produced and the amount of additional performance gained

Edit: I'm also looking at buying a second monitor sometime soon so i can game on 2 monitors; both 24"

My Build

I7 3730k at 4.7 ghz
H100
1 x 1tb Storage Drive
1 x 2 tb Game Drive
1x 60 gb SSD Boot Drive
CoolerMaster HAF X
Kingwin Lazer 1000w

Krindor
Level 11
The 670 is pretty close to the performance of a 680. Most 670s should also OC to that of a 680 so there isn't that much difference there etiher. The 670 is at the moment the most popular card and have the best price/performance at the moment.
Though the 680 is better at stock settings. Other than that it's all about luck on how good of a GPU you get.
| Chassi: Phantom Fulltower White Edition | Mobo: Maximus V Extreme | CPU: i7 3770k
| Memory: 2x8gb G.Skill Trident X 2400mhz | GPU: PNY Geforce GTX 670 | PSU: NZXT Hale 90 750w
| SSD: Intel 120gb 330 series (OS) | Intel 120gb 330 series (Games n stuff)
| Monitor: LG 29EA93 | Cooling: Custom Loop

Zka17
Level 16
Agree with Kindor here! I have both the GTX670 DCII TOP and the GTX680TOP DCII TOP... if I would have to choose one of them for a single system, I would go with the GTX670... - the price/performance ratio seems better, it's only 2 slot wide, and for some reason I feel it more quiet than the GTX680... The DCII TOP versions are pretty hard to find, but I assume, the DCII OC versions are good enough for your use too...

Karmageddon
Level 7
Well it looks like i'm going to go with the 670 then 🙂

I am really kicking myself for not picking up one or 2 of the Top editions of the card when i saw them in stock; now they are nowhere to be seen, and especially in canada 😞

Do you think it is worth it to buy the 2gb or 4gb version of the card? I plan on running an eventual 3 24" monitor setup, but at the moment only have 1 24"

My Build

I7 3730k at 4.7 ghz
H100
1 x 1tb Storage Drive
1 x 2 tb Game Drive
1x 60 gb SSD Boot Drive
CoolerMaster HAF X
Kingwin Lazer 1000w

TenBlade
Level 11
A 2 Gb card will also muster three monitors, my GTX 460 does that + a touch screen for 2D stuff. But for high AA the 4 gig card will prove it´s worth (gettn one myself ;)). And you never know what GPU-throttling games might come out within the next two years.

X-ROG
Level 15
He can't really game on 2 monitors otherwise the crosshair will be in the middle 😉 Unless you're doing something other than FPS/RTS/driving that particularly makes use of two side by side monitors. If he's going 3x then definitely opt for the 3-4GB cards. SLI will mirror the frame buffer, not extend it, so even if you buy 2x/3x cards you'll still only have 3-4GB of graphics memory.

You cannot do 3-way SLI with 3x triple slot cards on the R4E as the slot gaps supports dual-slot to fit in 4-way (a physical limitation), unless you plan to watercool, which is highly advised considering the heat 3 would generate. Running 2x triple slots is fine because you can use the 1st and 3rd red slots and tbh that's a good balance of cost: performance for 3 monitors.

Karmageddon
Level 7
One of my websites has the asus gtx 670 dcu2 cards on for $70 off, assuming they still have them in stock a few days from now i should hopefully be picking up 2 of those bad boys 😄

My Build

I7 3730k at 4.7 ghz
H100
1 x 1tb Storage Drive
1 x 2 tb Game Drive
1x 60 gb SSD Boot Drive
CoolerMaster HAF X
Kingwin Lazer 1000w