+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Virus and HDD failure: Port 1: SMART detects drive bad, backup and replace.

ASUS Reseller Shawnnepc +125 Shawnnepc +125 Shawnnepc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cl-scott View Post
    Maybe I misread things, but I took it as this error was coming up before Windows loads. In which case, it's a hardware issue and time to back the drive up ASAP and get it replaced. If the error is coming up AFTER Windows loads, then that is a distinct possibility, so getting some program that can check the SMART status of a drive might be in order.
    .IQ5.fraud is linked to Citadel which is a crimekit that uses Alureon and Zeroaccess.

Zeroaccess is a rootkit that may also trigger S.M.A.R.T errors due to it's installation in the bootsector.

It's strange that it's referencing E: and F: which as per ASUS's strange factory settings may be a partition of the boot drive OR a split partition of the second physical disk.

It's also troubling that RogueKiller didn't finish.

We need more information from the enduser

ROG Guru: Gold Belt dstrakele +75 dstrakele's Avatar

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Shawnnepc View Post
    It's strange that it's referencing E: and F: which as per ASUS's strange factory settings may be a partition of the boot drive OR a split partition of the second physical disk.

It's also troubling that RogueKiller didn't finish.
    That error would be expected from a defective stock-partitioned ASUS 2nd data drive. It is also not unusual for a file scan operation to fail on a defective HDD.
    G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

ASUS Reseller Shawnnepc +125 Shawnnepc +125 Shawnnepc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dstrakele View Post
    That error would be expected from a defective stock-partitioned ASUS 2nd data drive. It is also not unusual for a file scan operation to fail on a defective HDD.
    It's totally possible ^^

No Longer Works at ASUS cl-scott +30

Not sure how well it may work, but there is at least one SMART tool in the Ultimate Boot CD, and that should help isolate any rootkits that may or may not be present. If the drive reports a SMART failure, time to replace it, if not then it seems that we should be spending more time focusing on the malware angle.

ROG Enthusiast Swampthing +10 Swampthing's Avatar

Update thus far...

Thanks for all the information thus far. I believe the virus was present because after I was able to finally successfully delete, my system speed increased tremendously.

About the SMART error, it occurs right when I power on... and it tells me to hit F1 to resume. Then it will boot Windows and come up with a warning that Windows has detected problems on my disk and suggests that I backup immediately and repair or replace the disk.

I decided to download the latest version of Norton Utilities to see if I can repair the drive via software. Unfortunately it does not show F: in the drive list, but it does show E: which is essentially another partition of the same drive. I'm trying to repair E: now and we'll see what happens... I hope repairing E: will allow F: to show up, and then repair that.

UPDATE: That didn't work. When I try to click on F:, it says the drive is not accessible, parameter incorrect. Any idea how I can fix something like that? Is there a stronger repair tool than Norton Disk Repair that will try to recover the disk?

Can I perform a backup of the drive to something like DROPBOX?
    Last edited by Swampthing; 11-06-2012 at 10:40 PM.
    G74SX-DH73-3D 17.3-Inch 3D Gaming Laptop
    Windows 8 Pro, 64 bit
    PowerDVD 12 Ultra
    Logitech G700 Mouse
    3D nVidia Vision 2 Glasses
    Screen Resolution: 1900x1080, 120MHz
    Verizon FiOS: 75/35 Mbps

Quote Originally Posted by Swampthing View Post
    Thanks for all the information thus far. I believe the virus was present because after I was able to finally successfully delete, my system speed increased tremendously.

About the SMART error, it occurs right when I power on... and it tells me to hit F1 to resume. Then it will boot Windows and come up with a warning that Windows has detected problems on my disk and suggests that I backup immediately and repair or replace the disk.

I decided to download the latest version of Norton Utilities to see if I can repair the drive via software. Unfortunately it does not show F: in the drive list, but it does show E: which is essentially another partition of the same drive. I'm trying to repair E: now and we'll see what happens... I hope repairing E: will allow F: to show up, and then repair that.

UPDATE: That didn't work. When I try to click on F:, it says the drive is not accessible, parameter incorrect. Any idea how I can fix something like that? Is there a stronger repair tool than Norton Disk Repair that will try to recover the disk?

Can I perform a backup of the drive to something like DROPBOX?
    That sounds exactly like what I would expect if it's the drive reporting a SMART error during POST. So while you may also have malware, it sounds like you have a HDD that is not much longer for this world. Back up anything important to wherever. If Dropbox is most convenient for you, do that, otherwise flash drive, DVD, tattoos on the foreheads of children, whatever works for you. Just do it yesterday, and then get that drive replaced.

ROG Guru: Gold Belt dstrakele +75 dstrakele's Avatar

When the HDD died in my daughter's computer, I used a utlility called TestDisk (http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk) to access the defective drive and recover files. The computer was unable to boot, so I placed the drive in a USB drive enclosure and attached it to my laptop. Windows Explorer was unable to read the disk and CHKDSK could not run on it. The System Event Log reported massive amounts of bad blocks on the disk from the access attempts.

Using TestDisk, I was able to access the drive, repair the MBR, see all partitions and directory trees, and recover files. I was very impressed.
    Last edited by dstrakele; 11-07-2012 at 01:45 AM.
    G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Angry I think I am screwed...

Looks like I have serious trouble. Tried many of the solutions put forth even the Test Disk, but it won't do anything for the F: drive, and on top of that, I am now getting random System Drive errors which terminate in an automatic shutdown and reboot.

Does ASUS store any diagnostic tools hidden somewhere on these drives? What are my options at this point? Hey I wouldn't necessarily like it if I had to reset everything to factory settings if it would get everything running properly again, but I fear I have hardware failures.

Given it's only 11 months into my warranty, should I just call ASUS and get a return/repair authorization? What about all the passwords, email, game accounts, etc that I have on the drive. Do I need to delete all those first prior to sending it in?

BTW, I did upgrade to Windows 8 on this PC a couple days after launch, but I don't think that's the problem; my guess is that the laptop had pretty crappy drives installed if they die after only 11 monts.
    Windows 8 Pro, 64 bit
    PowerDVD 12 Ultra
    Logitech G700 Mouse

Looks like I have serious trouble. Tried many of the solutions put forth even the Test Disk, but it won't do anything for the F: drive, and on top of that, I am now getting random System Drive errors which terminate in an automatic shutdown and reboot.

Does ASUS store any diagnostic tools hidden somewhere on these drives? What are my options at this point? Hey I wouldn't necessarily like it if I had to reset everything to factory settings if it would get everything running properly again, but I fear I have hardware failures.

Given it's only 11 months into my warranty, should I just call ASUS and get a return/repair authorization? What about all the passwords, email, game accounts, etc that I have on the drive. Do I need to delete all those first prior to sending it in?

BTW, I did upgrade to Windows 8 on this PC a couple days after launch, but I don't think that's the problem; my guess is that the laptop had pretty crappy drives installed if they die after only 11 monts.
    If it's still under warranty, I'd set up an RMA ASAP.
    Last edited by cl-scott; 11-14-2012 at 01:22 AM.

Had to go out of town for work for a bit, but I'll try to check things out. Neither of the drives that could be repaired by Spinrite or Norton Utilities 16; Spinrite won't even load past "Initdisk" and whle Norton recognizes the system drive needs repair, it consistently fails to initialize disk doctor. Windows still keeps saying it detects a hard disk problem and wants to initiate backup, but then won't go through the process due to problems on the system drive.

Seems like once your system drive has errors, it kills alot of possible solutions

UPDATE: I was able to confirm they are two Western Digital 750GB drives, each partitioned in half. Finally got Ultmate Boot Disk to run and it discovered Error 0007 on one of my drives. It suggested a Full Media Scan which will take a couple hours. I'll update at that point...

UPDATE 2: "Too many errors found - please contact technical support. Error/status code: 0225" and the other drive won't even test because one or more attributes are below threshold. It appears to fail on "Spin up time, raw read error rate, reallocated sector count, offline uncorrectable sector count, multi-zone error rate, etc etc..."

These are the internal drives: WDC WD7500BPKT port 100 and port 108.
    Last edited by Swampthing; 11-18-2012 at 08:13 PM.
    Windows 8 Pro, 64 bit
    PowerDVD 12 Ultra
    Logitech G700 Mouse

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast