cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G55VW Sound problem using Headsets

Mers_AT
Level 7
hi,

I hope it is okay to post a problem with my new notebook here. maybe someone has an idea how to resolve it.

my problem is, that I didn't get any sound at the connected headset.

in detail:
if I connect a normal pc headset (eg. from logitech) to the audio output (sp/dif connector) it seems not to be recognized. the sound still comes from the internal speakers and there is no sound at all at the headset.

additional information:
- the headset is working fine for other computers
- I also tried another headset, which didn't work too
- after buying this notebook I ran the windows update several times until all updates have been installed
- the initial driver version for the VIA High Definition Audio device was V6.0.01.10400. I updated the driver with the version V6.0.01.10600 from the asus download site
- after installing this new driver I could find a new device in the windows sound configuration as well as in the VIA HD VDeck config tool called "headset". also with setting this device to "default" there was still no sound. after rebooting the notebook the headset device disappeared in both config tools (windows sound manager and VIA HD VDeck)
- right now windows identifies two devices (except the NVIDIA for HDMI). 1.) the internal speakers and 2.) a SPDIF Interface. also by setting the SPDIF Interface to be the default device I have still no sound at any headset

some more hints/questions:
- as SPDif is usually used for digital output, is it actually possible to connect a normal (non digital) stereo headset, or is there a special headset required?
- it seems that the connected headset is not recognized, because according to the manual the sound of the internal speakers should be muted, if a headset is connected at the SP/Dif connector

additionally I attached some screenshots of my settings. unfortunately they are in german, because this is my native language. maybe they are helpful anyway.

I would kindly ask you for a solution, because right now I can't use this notebook as intended. neighter for gaming at home nor for listening music in the office because if sound is only comming from the internal speakers, I always disturb the people next to me.

thank you in advance!

kind regards,
dominik lasser
43 REPLIES 43

Pitcher1
Level 9
Hi, could you tell me your headset is SPDIF interface or line in-out generally interface? if your headset is gererally interface, please change default set form SPDIF to Lausprecher and try again.

rewben
Level 13
try these steps:

1. uninstall your via hd driver, reboot.
2. install this version
3. reboot twice.

hi,

first of all, thank you very much for your support!

@Mike_Lu@ASUS:
I tried out 3 different headsets now, but they all have line in-out generally interface. I don't have headsets with SPDif interface. is this required or will it work with spdif interface headsets for sure?

I also set the normal speakers ("lautsprecher") to default -> no change

@rewben
I performed all steps you described but after I did the second restart as you mentioned in step 3 the notebook hangs while booting after showing the message "windows will be started". I restarted again and windows was able to boot. unfortunately still no sound.

I attache new screenshots with the actual driver info and via hd tool settings. BUT in this VIA HD tool, you can see two pictures of the External Jacks. shouldn't they somehow show if a device is connected or not? it still seems, that the headset is not recognized by the driver.

I am a little bit despair about this issue, because it doesn't seem to be solved easily. do you have any other ideas or do I have some other options, like buying a headset with spdif interface, or buying a headset with USB interface? I would do it, if this will solve this issue for 100%.

anyhow, thanks again for your help!

Mers_AT wrote:
hi,
I performed all steps you described but after I did the second restart as you mentioned in step 3 the notebook hangs while booting after showing the message "windows will be started". I restarted again and windows was able to boot. unfortunately still no sound.

I attache new screenshots with the actual driver info and via hd tool settings. BUT in this VIA HD tool, you can see two pictures of the External Jacks. shouldn't they somehow show if a device is connected or not? it still seems, that the headset is not recognized by the driver.

I am a little bit despair about this issue, because it doesn't seem to be solved easily. do you have any other ideas or do I have some other options, like buying a headset with spdif interface, or buying a headset with USB interface? I would do it, if this will solve this issue for 100%.

anyhow, thanks again for your help!

wow, hang? i asked you to try that version because previously it worked for me, showing all the controls (i.e. speakers, headphones, etc.) the latest version i am using now is 60101200. it is working (when the headphones are plugged in, the speaker is off) BUT the headphones tab is missing (pretty much like your screenshot; but the difference is that i have both indicators - the ones you circled - showing highlights when i plug in the headphones)

if you want, you can try to install the driver i mentioned above (60101200). i'm not sure if it worked for you, though.

VIA HD audio is really a pita lol!

edit: i can test my headsets with the speaker's testing page.

rewben wrote:
wow, hang?

it shows the black screen and the text "windows will be started" just right before these colored objects from the back are flying to the front and "create" the windows logo. and that's it. no "flying objects" and no progress. I waited about 10min before restarting again.

rewben wrote:
BUT the headphones tab is missing (pretty much like your screenshot;

if found out, that the headset device was shown in the windows sound device manager AFTER removing the VIA HD software and drivers, but it is shown somehow as inactive or not connected device. after installing the driver you mentioned, this device disappeared in the windows sound device manager. but obviously it is not required, because you have it neither.

rewben wrote:
but the difference is that i have both indicators - the ones you circled - showing highlights when i plug in the headphones)

exactly, this is why I assume that my headset is not detected by the notebook. as I mentioned in my previous post, I just tried 3 different headsets with general line-in interface, NO spdif interface. is this the reason, or do you also use a "normal" not spdif interface headset?

rewben wrote:
edit: i can test my headsets with the speaker's testing page.

allready done. the sound is just comming from the internal speakers.

I have really the strong opinion, that the notebook does not detect my connected headsets and this is the reason why I don't get any sound. now the question is, why? or maybe I am wrong ... *crying .....*

rewben
Level 13
when i used the drivers (601010600) from asus i had the same problem (speakers play sound while headphones are plugged in). with the newer driver builds the issue was fixed for me. i use a normal headset with green (sound) and pink (mic) pins. i don't have any spdif device.

ok let us try again; this time, please do this:

1. uninstall your via hd driver from control panel > programs and features, and reboot.
2. go to your c:\program files\ and c:\program files (x86)\ and find the folders with the name 'VIA'. delete them.
3. install the new driver (60101200).
4. reboot twice.

c_man
Level 11
It not exactly the 10600 with the problem, but the way these drivers install/update. You need them right from the start. I use 10600 and it's fine.

rewben
Level 13
oh ok. that means it's important to clear all the settings and files related to VIA first.

ok I did the following now:

1.) remove the driver from the windows control panel
2.) uninstalled the VIA HD software
3.) deleted the VIA directories from C:\program files and c\program files (x86)
4.) reboot
5.) installed the driver 60101200
6.) reboot twice

result -> no sound, and it still seems that it doesn't detect a connected headset -> these External Jacks in the VIA tool remain unchanged if I connect a headset

than I did a second try:
1.) remove the driver vom the windows control panel -> via hd audio device was gone
2.) immediately look for changed hardware in the control panel -> via hd audio device appears again
3.) navigate to the control panel driver tab of the via hd device
4.) select the option "update driver" -> select driver vom file/directory
5.) choose the directory of the V6.0.01.10600
6.) driver installed

result -> still no sound and no external jack somehow highlighted

@rewben: in you last post you said I had to remove all settings, files ... first

didn't we do that allready, or can you please tell me in some more details what exactly do I have to do now?